Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

newbee needs help with rc10t4.1 bl & lipo batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
hpijunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbee needs help with rc10t4.1 bl & lipo batteries

After reading about brushless motors going faster and longer run times than brushed motors, i decided to purchase one.
I decided to pick up the rc10t4.1 brushless. I know its a entry level brushless rc car, which is fine by me as i still love nitro cars.
now i am brand new to lipo power batteries. the last time i used a electric rc car was still using the nicads.
I picked up 2 2s venon batteries (20c 7.4v 4000mah) and a onyx charger.

a few days later i decided to pickup a 3s battery pack (11.1v 5400mah) because the box said this car can use 2s or 3s batteries.
well 10 mins into runing the 3s battery pack smoke started to roll out from under the body of the car.
I burnt the esc to the point the bottom of the esc cover is melted with a hole in it.

Im 99% postive the 3s battery is the wrong battery for this stock esc setup.
i could not find a new esc but did find a traxxas vxl esc for brushless for a very good price.
reading the specs on the traxxas esc seams like its a much better esc than the reedy one that ae put into the rc10t 4.1

for now i will be using the stock brushless motor with the traxxas esc in the rc10t4.1
i would like to find a lipo battery that would make the car fast and can wheelie like in the advertismentss.
My main question is how do i determin what lipo battery can i use safely in my car??????????????????????

Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: newbee needs help with rc10t4.1 bl & lipo batteries

when you bump up voltage you need to gear it accordingly.

personally i see no need for 3s power in a 1/10 scale car or truck, it's just insane speed that leads to major repairs.

i'm awfull at math but you'll need to calculate your roll out ratio and match it to what the manufacturer reccomends for thier motor/esc.

the esc would have most likley survived if your gearing was correct.

i know others around here are great with numbers so hopefully they will chime in...