Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

The system was purchased in feb of 2009, I called Horizon when I received my system, we determined there were no updates needed. It already had the quick link software. Everything sure worked great until Sunday.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 PM
gruntled

From aSpektrum manual:

4. Q: Sometimes my receiver loses its bind and won’t connect requiring rebinding. What happens if the bind is lost in flight?

A: The receiver will never lose its bind unless it’s instructed to. It’s important to understand that during the binding process the receiver not only learns the GUID (code) of the transmitter but the transmitter learns and stores the type of receiver that it’s bound to. If the transmitter is placed into bind mode, the transmitter looks for the binding protocol signal from a receiver. If no signal is present, the transmitter no longer has the correct information to connect to a specific receiver and in essence the transmitter has been "unbound" from the receiver. We’ve had several DX7 customers that use transmitter stands or trays that unknowingly depress the bind button and the system is then turned on losing the necessary information to allow the connection to take place. We’ve also had DX7 customers that didn’t fully understand the range test process and pushed the bind button before turning on the transmitter also causing the system to "lose its bind."

Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Socomon

From a Spektrum manual:

4. Q: Sometimes my receiver loses its bind and won’t connect requiring rebinding. What happens if the bind is lost in flight?

A: The receiver will never lose its bind unless it’s instructed to. It’s important to understand that during the binding process the receiver not only learns the GUID (code) of the transmitter but the transmitter learns and stores the type of receiver that it’s bound to. If the transmitter is placed into bind mode, the transmitter looks for the binding protocol signal from a receiver. If no signal is present, the transmitter no longer has the correct information to connect to a specific receiver and in essence the transmitter has been ''unbound'' from the receiver. We’ve had several DX7 customers that use transmitter stands or trays that unknowingly depress the bind button and the system is then turned on losing the necessary information to allow the connection to take place. We’ve also had DX7 customers that didn’t fully understand the range test process and pushed the bind button before turning on the transmitter also causing the system to ''lose its bind.''

They are obviously in denial
Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put my Tx into bind mode and switched on the Rx, no connection as soon as I let go of the button on the back of the Tx it got a bind with the model, tried it with the Rx switched on and then putting the Tx into bind mode no lost bind, so I can't force it to unbind, but it has when I have got to the field on many occasions, this is with a Spektrum DX7 by the way can someone try it with the 12 and see if its the same, I would like to know if the quote from the manual is correct.

Mike
Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Spektrum claimed my plane over the weekend at an event. I was using AR9100 with dual voltage regulators and dual lipos. 4 receivers and all was set up using the flight log and rating the plane. The plane had about 20 great flights prior. Then this last flight it locked me out and I could not make a turn then came back made the turn and then a few seconds later it locked out again and in the ground it went. RIP

Now the problem is I am going to be grounded for a long time to save for a fasst system or keep flying and pray!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31896.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	1500191  
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
jrjohn

I feel for you man, when it was all over, was your receiver still bound? In my case the receiver came unbound. What information did the data log give you?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
gunradd

I could not recover anything it was in to many peices. The flight log does no good when the receiver batts are underground. After digging I found one but never could find the other one. The transmitter would do funny things like the screen would be upside down sometimes. Horizon said this is something that happens everynow and then.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
jrjohn

Sounds like it could be a transmitter issue???? What transmitter you using?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
gunradd

DX7. I was just about to get a 9503 but why bother now it will have the same RF link.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: gunradd

DX7. I was just about to get a 9503 but why bother now it will have the same RF link.
I have a 9303, the only way I will use it is with two receivers/batteries
Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 PM
cavandish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The transmitter would do funny things like the screen would be upside down sometimes. Horizon said this is something that happens everynow and then."

ARE YOU FOR REAL ?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:24 PM
gunradd

Yes and it really is not upside down its backwards so if you look at it through a mirror it is correct and readable. Now if you cycle the power it corrects it self. But they say this is no problem.....
Maybe it is maybe it isn't but I am pretty unhappy after working all year to enter a scale competition and to have this the day before during a practice run stinks.
ORIGINAL: cavandish

''The transmitter would do funny things like the screen would be upside down sometimes. Horizon said this is something that happens everynow and then.''

ARE YOU FOR REAL ?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM
cavandish

i've got a JR 9303 2.4, so do have more than a few concerns, i have a power safe rx in my boomer XL, this has 4 satalites, I would feel more comfortable with a second RX, but 8 satalites is just getting silly !

The proper thing for Horizon to do would be to recall all of the DSM2 sets and replace them with the new system.
I realize that this is not feasable, but would'nt it be great if everybody blacklisted ALL horizon products and bought elsewere, then they might just address this F*ck up.

Giving up on DSM2 and buying an alternative TX is one thing, but I would have at least 10 RXs to replace.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Gun,
Not that it would help in the case of keeping the radio from locking out - but after you set up everything, did you re-bind the radio (the manual says your supposed to) with the failsafe points setup?

I ask as it sounds like your plane went into failsafe. Maybe - just to be sure, send your xmitter in to be checked. Tell them it went failsafe on you when you had 4 remotes and 2 batts and that the screen would do funny things.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
gunradd

I rebound it several times until I got the trim setting where I wanted it to be for fail safe. Before my transmitter was repaired I would loose signal about every 10 flights so I always set up the failsafe.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Xantos

Wake up guys !
JR/Spektrum 2.4 has reliability issues , I've lost 3 jets with the DSM 9XII/9203 without any assignable cause.
Maybe thats the reason JR has come out with the FHSS now launched as the DSM J
The earlier JR/Spektrum system is definitely flawed

Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Xantos

Wake up guys !
JR/Spektrum 2.4 has reliability issues , I've lost 3 jets with the DSM 9XII/9203 without any assignable cause.

You don't have to tell me, JR 2.4 cost me a 33% plane, totally destroyed after it few away not taking any comands. Horizon refuses to admit anything, they think because the failure rate is low, that they don't have to do anything. Wait till somebody gets killed, I hope they get sued to the max for being in denial over this problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: Xantos

Wake up guys !

Xantos,

DSMJ was for Japan only, it looks like JR now has a new system out DMSS (FHSS) that has nothing to do with Spektrum.

Check Reply #52 here: http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/...msg826504.html

Doug.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

HI ROB ,RALH HERE, . WHAT IS THE BEST JR 2.4 RECEIVER TO USE.. ?? 1221 ANY GOOD?? I DONT WANT A BROWN OUT. TURBINE PLANE.. THANKS
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
jrjohn

I'd probably go with Futaba. I've had JR all my life. No problems until 2.4
Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Guys I have been using the Spektrum AR9000 and the AR9100 in 3 of my jets without issue over the past 3.5 years. I have loged over 350 flights in different areas of the country.. Never even a glitch in all these flights. Data logger has been viewed after every flight and never even a hold... There are sooooo many variables to consider when we lose a Jet. With that said, no system is perfect in the enviroments that we fly, and however rare it is when we truely have a radio lockout, it can happen to any of the current systems available on the market.

Dennis Michael

Old 09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
jrjohn

Dennis, until 2 months ago, I was saying the same thing. I just could not believe all these stories about JR locking out, or coming unbound. Then it happened, my reciever unbound in flight. Its a bad feeling to say the least when your plan is flying away and you can't do anything about it.
Remember one thing. Not one single JR/Spectrum user had any trouble until the day they did.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Socomon

From a Spektrum manual:

A: The receiver will never lose its bind unless it’s instructed to. It’s important to understand that during the binding process the receiver not only learns the GUID (code) of the transmitter but the transmitter learns and stores the type of receiver that it’s bound to. If the transmitter is placed into bind mode, the transmitter looks for the binding protocol signal from a receiver. If no signal is present, the transmitter no longer has the correct information to connect to a specific receiver and in essence the transmitter has been ''unbound'' from the receiver. We’ve had several DX7 customers that use transmitter stands or trays that unknowingly depress the bind button and the system is then turned on losing the necessary information to allow the connection to take place. We’ve also had DX7 customers that didn’t fully understand the range test process and pushed the bind button before turning on the transmitter also causing the system to ''lose its bind.''

They are obviously in denial

Bull dung, mine did and I most certainly did not instruct it to do so. Luckily, mine happened on the ground. Dennis/Delta Mike, if you play with the rattlesnake long enough, it's eventually going to bite you. I would also be a skeptic if I had not experienced it first hand, but the problem is as real as the sun that rises every day.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

This past Friday my friend flew his jet equipped with a JR 12X and suffered a lock out for a couple of seconds , lucky he had altitude and regained control of his plane enabling him to safely land the model .....he had the flight log recorder on board and guess what ....it had 456 recorded RF signals lost...the Fail Safe led was still blinking.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
gunradd

If the stupid flight log would have a memory then we could pin a whole lot more crashes on this system but being it has to retain power they get off easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.