Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Maybe Someone here?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Maybe Someone here?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
rcpickers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe Someone here?

I posted this ad in another catorgory and need some help. Please read if interested. Thanks in advance.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10015574/tm.htm
Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Maybe Someone here?

I don't mean to be rude, but what you have there is a pile of crap. The Heli is probably the highest ticket item you have there and you'd be lucky to get 50 bucks for it (really lucky).

Most of the rest is either outdated/obsolete, or ready for the trash. I see nothing worthy of a collector, and if anything were, it's in such bad condition that any collector would probably pass.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm afraid he's right.  I have been given planes in much better shape just to clear someone else's clutter.  If you found someone who still flies control-line the box of tin tanks may interest them.  I don't know anyone locally still flying that way.

The "Tiger" trainer doesn't look too bad off.

Problem with the other wrecks is that most folks with the skill to rebuild them have a few of their own in the corners waiting for fix-up . . . that we never seem to get around to.

Don't know anything about helicopters - couldn't say if that has value or not.  If it's like an airplane the airframe is worth the least when compared to engine and electronics (receiver/servos/battery).  And the trouble with kits is you never know if the builder knew what he was doing.  The trouble with ARFs and engines is they could have been abused or just well used and tired or worn out.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The problem here is the television show glamorizing scavanging, reselling and even lending the name pickers to the activity is not that there is anything wrong or illegal of course but what that show does not really convey is the two principle characters are experts in what they are buying and they only buy things within their respective fields of expertise.

Folks who know nothing of what they are buying which is most often the case in this hobby/sport virtually always are disappointed if making a buck is the goal. This is evident in these forums all the time with the 'what is this worth posts' and the answer is if you have to ask what it is worth then it's not even close to what you think.

Also stuff from our hobby/sport is certainly not worth what it was say just three years ago at the peak of internet buying and selling of model airplanes frenzy. We are in an economic depression period and stuff is no longer selling for what is was just a short time ago.

The hugh increases in shipping costs has made the values of built aircraft or even very large kit boxs plummet. I still hear folks quote hugh values on stuff that just ain,t so anymore.

Just my thoughts

John
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

The problem here is the television show glamorizing scavanging, reselling and even lending the name pickers to the activity is not that there is anything wrong or illegal of course but what that show does not really convey is the two principle characters are experts in what they are buying and they only buy things within their respective fields of expertise.

Folks who know nothing of what they are buying which is most often the case in this hobby/sport virtually always are disappointed if making a buck is the goal. This is evident in these forums all the time with the 'what is this worth posts' and the answer is if you have to ask what it is worth then it's not even close to what you think.

John
This pretty much says it all.

rcpickers, if you fnd enjoyment in accumulating this stuff, I'm not one to disparage you. As for finding a buyer, probably your best bet is to find another picker. Not the ones on TV, however.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I answered this in his other thread but wasn't as blunt as Mike. In the other thread there are some better photos after the pickers cleaned things up. The trainer is about the only thing in the pile worth someone like me even looking at and it would have to be a look while it was in my hands, not in a photo. To give an idea of the price on something like the trainer I would go maybe $25.00 depending on the condition and type of engine. Usually guys moving up to different planes will give me there old trainers so I can teach other pilots. I have a number of engines and gear I can use in these planes so nothing is about the correct price. New in box kits are worth what the market will bear and some old kits sell for very high prices. Shipping is the big killer these days and I buy very little these days from out of area shops unless it's something I can't get from my LHS. If you know what you are doing then picking at garage sales can be worth while. Picking from photos isn't going to work for most RC people. Old choppers are about worthless unless someone is looking for parts to get one of there old birds flying again. They cost too much to repair and sometimes parts are hard to find.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Thought I had a pic in my phone of a "yard sale" Goldberg 90 size ultimate 10-300 I got. It needed a little airframe repair and ended up getting it for free :-)

I'll post a pic later. Used rc stuff is not worth much, unless it's in very good shape and/or ready to fly.

Drag all of it out side, and take some more pics. We can better tell you what it's worth. Beside, your going to need the pictures anyway for your Craigslist adds. Scoot
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That " stuff " is why I won't buy on ebay. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
kristj179

i have a question. when was the last o.s. 40 la max manufactured? in what year does anybody know. looking for parts head gasket and o rings thank you
Old 09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: kristj179

i have a question. when was the last o.s. 40 la max manufactured? in what year does anybody know. looking for parts head gasket and o rings thank you
Does it sayb LA-MAX on the engine?? I have some LAs and I have some of the MAX engines but they are different engines. Just wondering if I had missed it. I also have some SF and SP engines under the bench.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 AM
kristj179

yes it says 40 la max[8D]