Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Help with a New Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
nichols1147

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a New Project

I am looking for some help...i have had this elec. drift car since i was young. it is not very fast and as you can see i have done a little work to the body. My father in law got this from BJ's and i believe that brand is tyko. it was cool at the time but i have since turned to running nitro. now that i have been in the scene for a couple years, i am looking to possibly put some money into this project. i am hopeing to find someone who might know what kinda off motor system would fit on this and or what other mods will need to be done. any kind of insight is welcome. if more pics are needed please ask! thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89891.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1501936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67098.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1501937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24008.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1501938   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54459.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1501939  
Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Help with a New Project

my sugestion is take the money you would put into a new hobby level car that you can put hop ups on with out making parts. you can find them used for quite cheap in the clasifieds section here
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Nichols, welcome to RCU !
for the motor, it looks like you could use the slots in the front to
mount a 540 hobby grade motor, and maby grind (dremel) the back mount
for clearance.
As for mounting the ESC, just use velcro or 2 sided tape.
It looks like you could drop it in on the opposite side of the motor.
Keep in mind too whatever motor, speed control & receiver you use you can
put it in another project later on if the plastic ever breaks on the tyco!
Keep us posted on your project.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 PM
nichols1147

could you give me some guidance as to where i can find this motor and other parts needed. i assume the steering would stay the same and the car does not have suspension so i would not need to mess with that. would the new motor connect with the transmitter that i have for the car(original)? thanks for the help!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Haddi Taha

No suspension? Thats weird
Old 09-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Smiff 24

You may be able to use your transmitter & electronic board with just a new motor.
Is your car proportional steering & throttle now ?
Ive never converted one of these cars myself but....

You will find a lot more info over in this section.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_498/tt.htm
Its dediciated for modding tyco, new bright & others.

there are several online stores, towerhobbies, hobbypeople, amainhobbies are just a few.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 AM
SIRCC

it's cool that you want to bring that to life, that type cars was not intended to have shocks, the motor can be replaced, it looks like a 540 tamiya silver can motor, as for the electronic's you would the old stlye ceramic Rx that come with tamiya old tt-01 kits which Ibelieve are no longer in circulation, if you plan on spending over $150 buck you just better off upgrading your project in all. goodluck keep us posted
Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Timbulb

Dont waste any money trying to make that thing nice. Put it on the shelf and get yourself a TT01, you'll be better off.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:04 AM
nichols1147

thanks for all the input guys...i am still up in the air on sinking some money into this car. i am debating on taking it to my lhs to see what he thinks but he is the type of guy who wants you to put everything top shelf onto your vehicle. i dont really want to spend to much money on this project but have always had my eye on the drift cars. once again, i would just buy a new one, if they didnt cost so much. i will keep everyone updated as to what i decide. thanks again guys!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Haddi Taha

you can get a hsp onroader brushless rtr i iheard for ony $180

Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
nitroade

Honestly, save yourself the headache and shelf this car. Put your $ into a true hobby grade car that can be fixed and upgraded. When the parts break on this one, you'll be left with a bunch of plastic. If you're attached to the hardbody, remove it and run it on a TT01 or similar.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
txaggie08

it would be cool if you just wanted to get it rolling again, but understand it's never going to be capable of doing anymore than what it already does.

Check out some of the online forums, I've seen several TC3's(just bought one) going for 70$ in roller....

We're putting a shaft drive only TC class together here in town, and are trying to shoot the target RTR price at under 200$.....it's easy to do.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

getting a rtr tc car under $200 is kinda easy, we just did it at my track. we all run the most basic tt-01e and with a servo and radio gear its still under $200. we call it the drivers class cuz its all stock spec class, so were not racing wallets and experiance on car set ups. everyone is equal and it comes down to who is a better driver. we ran our first race this past sunday and it was great
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 PM
txaggie08

That's exactly what we plan on doing. Essentially I want a class that the exceed/redcat crowd might have a chance in with a little tweaking, but that some of us can still run nice cars with to....
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Haddi Taha

If your going to go racing, with those tt01e's its not a good idea (unless its stock then its a really good idea) as i overlapped by brothers tamiya tt01e with my tamiya tb03 5 times in a race and he had an ezrun 9t and i had a 19x2 brushed motor.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Haddi Taha

actually i take back wat i just said, i switched motors and the tt01 came out on top, the ezrun motor has to muchpower for the small course we drove on the ezrun 9t gave he cars to much under steer and is no usse on the 10m long straight.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can often find a used tamiya tl-01, or a tt-01 for around $100 ready to run. they are 4wd cars, with decent suspensions.
they will be faster and out-handle your current car.

as for upgrading your car...do it if you want to man! i once upgraded a radio shack buggy with hobby grade parts.
it was a blast, tho there are parts that will wear down fast. most of these toy grade stuff uses plastic bushings. when you add more power and speed, that means more heat and friction on these parts. sometimes you can install new ball bearings. but in the case of my radio shack buggy, they were an odd size.

if you try and put a hobby grade motor in that with the stock radio parts, it is very likely that the circuit board will fry. more powerful motors draw more amps, which the circuit board most likely wont handle.

you can look for duratrax sprint, or a traxxas xl-5 ESC. either you can find for $25-$35 on ebay.
you can get a 540 size 18-20 turn motor for around $20-$30.
but then, you will need a hobby grade radio/ reciever. and most likely, a new servo(as im betting you cant wire the stock steering motor to a hobby grade reciever. there is another $30 easy for a used radio.

im sure you are starting to see why many are saying just buy a hobby grade car. you can spend $90 easy trying to modify your car, or spend alittle over $100 for a hobby grade RC....which will be better and you can further upgrade later!

when i upgraded my radioshack buggy, i did it with spare parts i had. i wouldnt have done it if i had to buy all those parts. tho, it is fun to take a toy grade car and hop-it-up