Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Smartfly ignition cutoff install question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Smartfly ignition cutoff install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Fulcrum2111

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smartfly ignition cutoff install question

Hello, I have installed the two smart fly optical ignition cutoff in my gp su-31 powered by a da50 engine. I installed it some time ago by directly sticking them to the wood of the plane with epoxy. It has been working great for four flights, but I am worried with this hard mount the ignition will be damaged because of engine´s vibration in the long run. As it is epoxied, it is very hard to uninstall now and also I am afraid of breaking the modules or the wood of the plane. Is it safe to leave it sticked directly to the wood?
Thank you.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Oilsands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smartfly ignition cutoff install question

I use velcro to mount mine, works very well and does eliminate some vibration.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM
D.O.A.F.S.

Yeh, I don't think epoxying directly to the wood is a good idea, over time I think vibration will probably give you trouble. I use velcro as well, specifically dura-lock, its what Smart-Fly ships with their power exspanders to install your reciever to their board. It's a form of velcro but has a lot better isolation. You can buy it at Radio Shack, it's made by 3M,comes in a pack with 3-4 strips about 2 1/2 inches long.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:51 AM
D.O.A.F.S.

Try a heat gun on the epoxy(not getting to close or making too hot) and the epoxy will loosen up. This providing its epoxyed to ply and not balsa.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Fulcrum2111

I have just had a reply from Robert from smart-Fly tech support that says:

Hi,
Its safe to leave them like this. Most people use
double-sided Velco tape to attach them.
I think I will leave it epoxied
Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd go with that.  You might get the epoxy to release as it doesn't stick well to plastics, but you have a better chance of cracking the circuit board trying to pry it.  I was going to suggest a razor chisel (I forget the X-Acto #) but it's moot now.

I use either the Velcro or servo two-sided foam tape on mine (and their Equalizers, too).
Old 09-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Fulcrum2111

Thank you all, I always tend to put some cushion between my electronics and the airframe, but I think it has only a circuit board and a few solder dots, it should be ok I suppose, considering that other systems like the ernst opto kill are to be installed directly on the fuselage (the ignition ON light is on the ignition case itself). Also, the aft module is epoxied to a plate that stiffens two center ribs and the forward is even more difficult to remove as it is in a small place over the balsa reinforcement of a wing end, in the fuselage, so I am sure I would end destroying someting. After all, if smart-fly says it is safe, it should be...

Regards.