Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G-23 Prop Hub

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G-23 Prop Hub

I need advice on how to change the prop hub on a Zenoah G-23 gasoline engine. I have the new hub and stud bolt along with a new prop nut and washer. I know the old one should unscrew from the crankshaft, but am not sure how to block the piston from turning. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Zenoah G-23 Prop Hub

Unscrew the spark plug and thread a couple feet of cotton rope down into the cylinder. Make sure you run enough down into the cylinder to prevent the engine from turning over when it comes up on TDC. This will faciltate the unscrewing of the prop hub, and will also work when you screw the new one back on.

When done, pull the rope back out, screw the plug back in, and go fly!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:42 PM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

Unscrew the spark plug and thread a couple feet of cotton rope down into the cylinder. Make sure you run enough down into the cylinder to prevent the engine from turning over when it comes up on TDC. This will faciltate the unscrewing of the prop hub, and will also work when you screw the new one back on.

When done, pull the rope back out, screw the plug back in, and go fly!
Thank you very much! It can't get much simpler than that. As always, you can count on your fellow modelers to help out when needed. What a great hobby!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used a motorcycle piston stop/timing tool for this purpose, but the rope trick is safer. Make sure you leave a tail of the rope sticking out of the plug hole so you can get it out of the bore after the hub replace. The rope trick can also be used on four stroke engines to hold the valves against the seats while removing the keepers to replace seals or valve springs.

Regards,

Richard
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM
fhm555

Would a strap wrench work?

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...5570000P?mv=rr