Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

More online fraud please be careful

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

More online fraud please be careful

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More online fraud please be careful

These guys are getting good. Here is a copy of a Bank Of America EMAIL i received today.

Online Banking Alert

Online Access Blocked

Dear Customer,

Your access to Internet Banking has been blocked because of several suspicious login attempts. This security measure is to forestall any fraudulent transaction from your account.
Quickly unblock and safeguard your Internet Banking access by confirming your identity.

Click Here

Your security is important to us. If you did not authorize this change, please contact us immediately at 1.800.792.0808.

Want to confirm this email is from Bank of America? Sign in to Online Banking and go to Alerts. The Alerts History lists the Alerts sent to you in the past 60 days.

Like to get more Alerts? Sign in to your Online Banking account at Bank of America and within the Accounts Overview page select the Alerts tab.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More online fraud please be careful

you didnt click it did you

those BofA emails have been going around for a long time now
Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Yes, fraud activity is growing exponentially right now with the economy in the crapper. We are seeing multiple fraud purchase attempts on a daily basis through our website. Because of this we have been forced to tighten up our card processing system which now runs extensive fraud filters in an attempt to decline transactions that have the usual fraud fingerprints.
Unfortunately, this can cause legitimate transactions to be flagged as fraud and decline the card as well. Unless you have good purchase history with us, you may be asked to provide documentation proving the purchase is legitimate..... We have to closely review every transaction now...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

No bank will ever send a fraud alert via email.

they will never ask you to click on a link, ask for personal information of any kind. those types of phishing exercises are pretty easy to defeat. Todd has a much tougher job.

joe
Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle

No bank will ever send a fraud alert via email.

they will never ask you to click on a link, ask for personal information of any kind. those types of phishing exercises are pretty easy to defeat. Todd has a much tougher job.

joe
Maybe banks don't do it directly but I got an email from my CC bank claiming a fraud alert and asking me to contact them immediately. There probably wasn't a link to click on but who would actually click on one nowadays? I called my CC bank and it was a legit email.

Marty
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shok

you didnt click it did you

those BofA emails have been going around for a long time now
No but when I (Right click) on the CLICK HERE this is what shows up under properties http://postofficecottage.co.uk/kronboa/. So I foward the email to my bank which reply Quote

Thank you for contacting Bank of America to report a suspicious email. Through our research, we can confirm that the email you received was a “phishing,†or fraudulent email. Bank of America is working hard to shut down the fraudulent website.

Phishers obtain information from consumers by using fake, look-alike sites to obtain customer information. Visitors to the site– mistaking it for legitimate– submit their personal information, which can end up in the wrong hands.

If you did not submit information to the fraudulent site, you do not need to take any additional action. If you did submit information, it is possible that your information could be used to commit identity theft. Bank of America customers should call the phone number listed on their statement or go to Contact Us at www.bankofamerica.com.

Bank of America takes your privacy and protection very seriously. For more information on how we protect your information, please visit www.bankofamerica.com/privacy.

The email below both start with the following Online banking alert and almost looks the same with the legitimate email

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig11322.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	1508397   Click image for larger version

Name:	lj24087.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	5.39 MB
ID:	1508398  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 AM
SpiderJets

I received the other day a very similar mail, from "PayPal."
Same questions, and also a link in the mail.
The trick was quite nice : usually their (real) e-mail address is "service(at)paypal.be" ; this suspicious one came from "paypall1(at)service.fr".

Nicolas.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I receive these kinds of emails all the time. Just to put my mind at ease, if I receive an email from say ebay or paypal, I read the email, don't click on anything though. Then I go to a new window, and open the actual site with the correct address. I'll THEN log in, any email you get sent from paypal or ebay will be available to read on your actual account as well. Not once have any of the emails regarding my account been for real, but at least by logging into the actual site I can put my mind at ease
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Always stay away from the paypal emails..They never ever send them..I found that one out the hardway 5-6 years ago..Someone got my info and actually made a card from credit card number..Magnetic strip and all, spent 2500.00 at different CVS pharmacies across New York..How the hell do you spend 2500.00 at CVS???
Old 09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
JoeEagle

LGM excellent protocol

and my previous comment wasnt meant to imply that people arent doing do diligence.

we recently had a telepohne call scam where employees were robodialed at their office phone numbers and told that their credit union account had been flagged as being fraudulent (the day before payday) and instructed you to select # 1 to re-establish your account and #2 to speak to an agent. the call used the actual name of the company credit union.

pretty cool actually. i don't have a credit union account, and our employees are used to getting probed all the time by stuff like this, so no one bit. we had a flash email out to all employees within 15 minutes of the 1st call.

i have received fraud calls at home about my credit or debit cards-i always politely say i will call back, then hang up and call the number on the back of my card. that way i know who i am (at least i think i do) talking to.

i had 3 fraudulant charges from Symantic about 2 months ago. i changed my card, then about 1 week later a 1948.00 charge for an APPLE computer from Apple online along with expedited shipping over a holiday weekend.

didnt go through, but it did show up for a day on my on line banking account.

we all should demand 2 factor authentication for all on-line credit card transactions. my business bank account provides for that, but not my personal bank account-and its the same bank!!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: KFX450

Always stay away from the paypal emails..They never ever send them..I found that one out the hardway 5-6 years ago..Someone got my info and actually made a card from credit card number..Magnetic strip and all, spent 2500.00 at different CVS pharmacies across New York..How the hell do you spend 2500.00 at CVS???
Answer: Buying cold meds for conversion to METH. This is why some over the counter cold meds are now actually kept behind the counter and i.d. must be shown at purchase.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Sometimes (like these times), I'm glad that so many people have lost their powers of grammar and punctuation. I get those fake emails from "my" bank and from Paypal, but they're always rife with second-grade grammar or typos. They don't seem to have any better written English skills than all of those captive princes and deposed presidents who want me to hide their money for them.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
JoeEagle

I asked the pharmcist what they did with this info. they said nothing. i wonder if that is true or it depends on the area in question.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just reading an article recently about industrial espionage - especially in Military. Although some people may not believe so but the whole Spy vs Spy thing and theft of information is worse than ever in history. This goes for just about anything from drawings to manufacture weapons to trade secrets, computer software, etc, etc.

I this age of electronic banking and internet sales it pays to be extra dilligent with your personal information. I've been a victim of bank fraud and it was not fun.

PaulD
Old 09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Dear Customer" is one of the red flags.

Most authentic emails will have your actual name in the greeting.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this falls under the "common sense" catagory.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

I received exactly the same email supposedly from BOA. I forwarded it to BOA's fraud folks and then deleted it.

Bill Hodges
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I've had my CC info compromised 2 times since August...PITA. This time they have all my info and it is a major deal. Dont have a clue how it is happening. I try to take all the normal precautions.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

I've had my CC info compromised 2 times since August...PITA. This time they have all my info and it is a major deal. Dont have a clue how it is happening. I try to take all the normal precautions.
Here is what's happening often lately. A lot of scammers are installing coverlets over the swipe card readers at gas stations, ATM's at actual banks, fast food readers, you name it. The worst ones are at the banks. You'd think those would be safe but some aren't. So the coverlets read the cards and they either have trackers phish your ATM number or they install small cameras to view the keypad and they back tack the cards magnetic info and time stamp the key pad entries.

I've never previously had an issue with cards, etc - I travel for a living so I use them all over the place and I'm pretty darn vigilant but I got snagged at a Starbuck's in Terminal 3 at LAX recently. Either the card swiper was rigged with a skimmer or the barista was in on it (I always keep my card in sight to avoid the portable skimmers that are out there with dirty checkers) but either way it got my CC. Fortunately the bank was on top of it and saw I had charges in Europe when I should have been in LA and later Reno with other charges.

When at all possible avoid putting your PIN into a swiper at an outdoor location - use a CC or choose "credit" on an ATM card if you don't have a CC. Indoor readers at reputable locations should be fine for ATM's. I've over cautious and I've still been snagged.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Eric D

I'm on my third credit card number this year. The only place it ever got used was on-line purchases on so-called secure sites. Fortunately it has only cost me some inconvience so far.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

For those concerned with doing online purchases with Dreamworks Model Products; I assure you your privacy is of the utmost concern to us.

The main reason for the launch of the new website late last year was specifically geared towards tightening our online security. Our credit card merchant providers are requiring all ecommerce based businesses be PCI complaint by mid next year. We are, and have been since the launch of the site, fully PCI Compliant along with running an enhanced 256 bit SSL certificate.

We have Security Metrics (www.securitymetrics.com) run server scans of our website on a weekly basis to assure nothing has breached our firewalls.

We take your privacy and security very seriously!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh15657.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	1508837  
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Yep it is very bad right now. I get tons of those emails - no bank/Paypal, etc will ever send email with links in it.

For the first time ever this month I had a whole bunch of fraudulent TX's show up. Funny thing is the bank called me about a bunch of legitimate ones but didn't flag the ones that were actually bad. I went through the list of the bad charges and they commented all the bad ones (there were over $5k in 2 days!!) looked legit and the ones I said were legit all looked less legit since they were on-line, had strange company names etc. The fraudulent ones were all done from terminals and were actual purchases... The sooner the banks require chip cards for all transactions the better. I would prefer that they do a voice confirmation for all on-line orders.

Anyway I disputed the charges and they removed them but having to cancel the card and wait for a new one is a huge pain (10 days.) On the plus side their investigation caught the people fast and I didn't end up needing to sign an affidavit or wait for the charges to be removed.

The bank has also issued me new chip cards for credit and ATM twice this year as a precaution when they suspected my card had been compromised. There seem to be a lot of pin stealing card readers in stores these days...

Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

another UK fraud address for future search:

Name : Faiza Abdul Fataah
Address: 33/5 Parkside Terr
City: Edinburgh
County: Scotland
Post Code: EH16 5XP

AND

1 Richborough Road,
London, NW2 3LU,
United Kingdom.

-PAYPAL:

Dear GEORGE PAPAGIANNIS,

You have received a PayPal Payment of €5,156.00 EUR from Faiza Abdul-Fataah ([email protected]).
We've placed a temporary hold on the funds of this transaction
As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Transport/Delivery Charges (Courier Exchange Logistics).
In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office, and send the excess sum of €1,000.00 EUR to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Please, find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via Western Union Money Transfer.
Click Here Locate Nearest Western Union Office

Transport Company: " COURIER EXCHANGE "

Address:
Name: Green Aiman
Address: 1 Richborough Road,
London, NW2 3LU,
United Kingdom
Old 10-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

ID theft is now a major problem worldwide.
Many credit cards contain RFID chips which contain all of the information necessary to steal from us. USA Passports have contained RFID chips since 2006 or 2007. The chip contains the entire front page including the photograph.
Before long, all drivers licenses will probably have them as well.
You can buy portable RFID scanners on eBay.....
Check out this website www.idstronghold.com for products designed to protect you from portable scanners.
With the embedded RFID chip in your credit card, all a thief needs to do is pass his portable scanner past your pocket containing your wallet, and the scanner captures all of the info on the RFID chips.

I purchased a leather wallet and a leather passport wallet from them that contain RFID blocking material inside each pocket which prevents scanning.
It was a worthwhile investment.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:58 PM
joanamelo

Exclamation Joaquim Coimbra's 137.4 million euros scam

I was planning to move to Portugal a while back and while researching about the financial system of Portugal, I cam across an article about Joaquim Coimbra's 137.4 million euros scam.

Joaquim Coimbra, a former Portuguese high-net-worth individual who declared bankruptcy with debts of 137.4 million euros, the businessman who made a fortune in the pharmaceutical business was a shareholder in the bankrupt BPN and BPP and was part of the PSD bodies, during the country's financial crisis, has found a new foothold in Cape Verde. Teaming up with the Vasconcelos Lopes family, they oversee the pharmaceutical industry in the country via Inpharma.