Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Looking for some clutch help here thx....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Looking for some clutch help here thx....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:21 PM
blackyz250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some clutch help here thx....

Hey Everyone,

Ok, I just replaced my clutch on my 5T which is a real one lol. Anyway, I take it out today and for some reason when I give it some throttle it was barely wanting to move and sounding like it was bogging. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced
Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for some clutch help here thx....

Are you sure you got clutch shoes for the CY-clutch? I know that there is some difference between the shoes from CY to Zenoah, one of them are using other bolts on the shoes then the other. Maybe the shoes are bound up a bit. This is a bit in the grey zone for me, but i think the Fuelie and CY-motors are the same, that is why i am asking.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 AM
blackyz250

Yes, they were identical. I will be taking a closer look when I get home. Thx
Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Lars from Norway

Ok. Look after that the bolts are not overtightened aswell, and remove the spring to see if the shoes pivots freely on the bolts.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like when you installed the clutch on the clutch arbor you didn't re-use the spacers that you need to shim it away from the arbor, so it sounds like it is binding up and not opening up freely.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
blackyz250

Actually, I did one on each side! Everything is new including the hardware. Is there a break-in process for a few mins in the initial stage? Does the bell need to be sciffed up a bit? I haven’t had a chance to check out what’s going yet. Rear wheels spin free as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Lars from Norway

No break-in process. So you say the driveline runs free from the wheels to the clutchbell?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Lars from Norway

Have you gotten any wiser?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM
blackyz250

<xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

LOL… yeah everything is free.  I even applied pressure on the clutch shoestud/post and washer to c if there was any type of resistance but, the clutchmoved freely as well. 

Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Lars from Norway

Hmm, that's a cryptical sentence you got there

But have you tried the clutch in the car now? Nice to hear that atleast the shoes are running free!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
blackyz250

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

LOL… yeah I thought the same thing. I was used the fast reply form below and that’s what happened, have no idea .

I took it completely apart just to see if everything was ok, as well as taking some emery cloth to the inside of the bell and will be checking it out again lol.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
blackyz250

Just waiting til the kid next door goes in cause then he"ll be up my ***** for the rest of the night lol.. I don't want to be mean to the lil dude just don't feel like dealing with it today if you know what I mean......
Old 09-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Lars from Norway

Oh, i see. Computers can be fun - or at least make fun Ok, let me know when you have shaken him off and got to do what you want to do
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 PM
blackyz250

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Still no good! I even removed everything and re-installed the old clutch including hardware and still the same thing. Now I’m wondering if there could be a problem with the rear end even though the rear wheels are spinning free. But, I don't see how this could be causing it to be bogging. Do you have any other ideas lol???

Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Lars from Norway

As i am not an owner of a Baja this isn't so easy to answer on, but the driveline is pretty much the same all over. Was staring to wonder if you have mounted the clutch shoes the wrong way, that they are "pushing" the clutchbell instead of "pulling" it? The car should be mowing forward anyway, i know of some who have turned the shoes to get more agressive grip on the clutchbell.

So you see the driveline moves freely from pinion to the diff when the clutch engages, is that so?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:38 PM
blackyz250

<xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

I made sure I remembered how I took it out and made surethat the clutch was on the bench the way I took it out lol.  I also referred to the manual as well.  The truck does move forward but, not like it’ssupposed to.  I have to give a lot of throttleto get it to go.  Kinda like if the brakesare too tight which this is not the case on this issue.

Yes, drive line movesfreely from pinion to the diff.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

with the truck off (not running) turn on your radio and truck and go full throttle and check to see if the brakes are grabbing. you might have an issue with your throttle linkage.
mine would stick and apply the brakes when i hit the throttle. i had to drill out the black brake piece just a little so it would slide freely and not bind.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM
blackyz250

Checked it out still not it! Everything is free moving. Thx

Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 PM
kidd

double check your high speed needle setting.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
blackyz250

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>Checks out fine… Do you think the rear end could be causing it to react this way? I won’t be able to work on it til this weekend.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Lars from Norway

This sounds very strange! I don't know what to say anymore, or where to guide you. And the bogging makes it even more mystical!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 PM
blackyz250

Hey Guys sorry for not responing in a while  I've been very busy wth work.  Ok, so I'm still having this problem! I took the dif apart to see if something was worng there but, didn't fine a thing wrong.

Let me tell you what led up to this.  I was out running the baja pretty hard  and then it just all of a sudden stopped the engine was still running but when I hit the throttle it just reved up.  So, I took the side cover off to inspect the problem.  The hex screw holding the metal gear broke causing it to come off and one of the two bearings came apart.  Ok, so I'm thinking no problem I'll just replace the two bearing the plastic component (can't think of the name) that holdes the bearings and metal gear and replace the clutch as well. I get it all together and so this is where I'm at right now very very sluggish when I hit the throttle. 

Also, this sound real weird of a question but, there is a bell like sound coming from somewhere sometimes has any one ever hear of this?
again, thanks for your help in advance!!! 
Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

that bell sound is from your clutch bell.
have you checked your linkage to make sure it's not applying the brakes when you hit the throttle?.