Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Running Beer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Hiya, G.P.S,'d the boat today with the new 45/90C packs and got 60.4 Km/h, choice
Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 AM
grael

Very good. Seems like you've got a better power to weight ratio there than the hotted up Zenoahs produce.

I've got one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11181&aff=143802
that I'm looking at designing up another boat for. It's quoted for a max power of 1500 watts, or 2 HP.

My tyrap boat goes so well that I'm planning a bigger version, with a bit more length to beam ratio.
I've just started making them in PETG clear plastic (like coke bottles) by vacuum forming, they come out pretty well. 1mm thick plastic hull and deck give me a 207 gram boat (empty, hull and deck), but I'm going to do them in 0.75mm hull and 0.5mm deck. I'll alter my design slightly for the new boat, (I'm looking at doing it about 650mm long by about 280 wide), so that I can make that without having to go too thick on the plastic. Now I've sorted out my vacuum forming process, I can make up inside decks, radio boxes, reversing scoops and intakes too...
Old 10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Running Beer

How do you reckon you'll go getting cooling to that inrunner whilst making all those Watt's?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: Running Beer

Hiya, G.P.S,'d the boat today with the new 45/90C packs and got 60.4 Km/h, choice
Mighty respectable speed for a jet drive [sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] Maybe post a video of it with the 45C lipos! What were you using previously? I'm running a cheapo 200A esc that I watercooled and the caps are getting hot after a couple minutes. I think shortening the wires will help. And my battery could be better too. A 40mm jetdrive requires a lot of energy. I get good speed but I also want longer runtimes.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Quicksilver

So I decided to check my old thread once more, damn you guys just keep going.. glad this thread has helped so many.

All my boats have been dry docked for over a year now. Bought a really fast rc truck and an old antique pond yacht but my fast boats are in storage. I'm glad to see so some familiar names like grael, whom I consider one of the fore most expert in jets and sundogz..... are dragonfire and headhunter still here, I dont really have the time to look back through every page. But thought I'd say hello.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 AM
sundogz

Long time no see! [X(] Glad that you're still alive and well. Yeah this was a good idea to have a thread dedicated just to jet drives - it seems to be a popular stop. Dragonfire still checks in from time to time but I haven't heard from Headhunter in quite a spell. Grael has been getting into gliders lately but has recently been vacu-forming clear boat hulls of his own design. Good to hear from you, hope the world is treating you right. Sdg
Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 AM
grael

Hi Quicksilver !
How is the baby ?
runningbeer was in the thread months ago, and was buying costly gear for a large brushless. I think he had a CF hull, swashdrive pump, and then he went for 10s LiPo. All that money made a very fast boat, if you look back over the last page he has some youtube of it that he uploaded within the last fortnight.

Like Sundogz says, I've been getting into vacuum forming my boats, I have the method sorted out now, and have realised it combines really well with fibreglassing too, because you can do a vac form as a shell, and then fibreglass inside, and peel the shell off when done. That said, I'm vac forming in PETG, which is as tough as coke bottles, it's the same material. Clear works for me too. I'll possibly even put some up for sale, I'd really love to see some more people running with my hull design. I've got a bit better idea how to skip a lot of the steps between design and production now, so (probably in my next holidays), I'll make some other sizes to go in the fleet. At some stage, I also want to set up for vac formed intakes, I'll be doing them most likely in clear polycarbonate, If you put a superbright LED pointing into it, will make for absolutely spectacular night running. The clear hulls also offer the possibiliry of running with a mini camera monitoring the air pockets under that hull, so if I pick up anything strange in the slow replay, I'll be able to figure out if there's a tweak I can use to improve the design.

While I really love the gliders, I'm so spoiled with local wind that it seems a waste of time to fly planes with motors, so I have the glider RC gear, and the boat with motor RC gear. I have a 1500watt motor that will go to 6 cell, and when I do a bigger, stretched out version of my TyRap boat, I'm going to go for some serious speed,

runningbeer says he GPSed his bigger boat at 60km/hr, but I'd like to get competative against that with a smaller boat. The hydroplane skin I design in should help with that.

Graham

Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver

So I decided to check my old thread once more, damn you guys just keep going.. glad this thread has helped so many.

All my boats have been dry docked for over a year now. Bought a really fast rc truck and an old antique pond yacht but my fast boats are in storage. I'm glad to see so some familiar names like grael, whom I consider one of the fore most expert in jets and sundogz..... are dragonfire and headhunter still here, I dont really have the time to look back through every page. But thought I'd say hello.
hey man long time . yeah im still loming around sometimes not log in . got one more build up my sleve. I came across a guy in aus that makes home made glass 1/6 jet sprint .
trying to get the fond rounded up for parts . and not sure if i wont to go brushless ,nitro ,or gas . still up in the air .

anyway hows the little one doing? and what kinda truck you rolling
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Quicksilver

Good to here from you guys, the little one is doing well, just about 14 months old now, already has an rc... an rc thomas the tank, he actually seems to get the concept, just has a bit of trouble turning.

My truck is an E-revo VXL, running 12 cell nimh. It so ridiculously fast, the only place I can drive it is a baseball field. Luckily this purchas was justified as my son loves watching it. lol

Grael that process sounds pretty good, only one thing I can think of... you dont get any warping from such a light mold? I could just see that at the very least being a potential problem, but very nice easy process none the less.

and now I've got to go check out that big jet boat, sounds awesome
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 AM
grael

Good to here from you guys, the little one is doing well, just about 14 months old now, already has an rc... an rc thomas the tank, he actually seems to get the concept, just has a bit of trouble turning.
My youngest just turned 3, and my oldest is 20 !
My 3 year old girl loves the boats, and any time she sees a new one of my planes, she exclaims: "It's beautiful!"
Grael that process sounds pretty good, only one thing I can think of... you dont get any warping from such a light mold? I could just see that at the very least being a potential problem, but very nice easy process none the less.
I have got warping, from the parts I've been moulding over. I reinforced my hull model, and switched from the fibreglass deck mould to the original, which is in customwood and epoxy. As for the completed boats, the deep steps and the deep planing strakes all serve to reinforce each other. I'm experimenting with joining, and while cloroform is ideal for lightness, it's difficult to get hold of, so I'm trying some clear "Sika" products. So far, working really well.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
mickieb49

ORIGINAL: DRAGONFIRE81M

hey man long time . yeah im still loming around sometimes not log in . got one more build up my sleve. I came across a guy in aus that makes home made glass 1/6 jet sprint .
trying to get the fond rounded up for parts . and not sure if i wont to go brushless ,nitro ,or gas . still up in the air .

anyway hows the little one doing? and what kinda truck you rolling

Hey there Drangonfire, how's the build going ? go with the brushless , i posted some footage onto Youtube of one with 4s power, goes much better that the glow.
Mick
Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
areseaer

anybody else notice this jet duck?[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3650#quickMM]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3650#quickMM[/link]

Looks like a good idea.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
sundogz

Way cool! That's the same jet drive that is in the ABC Jetski - even has the same stock brushed 550 motor and cooling tubing on it. Great idea! Would like to see one modded with a brushless - no doubt would be difficult to control and hilarious to watch Great find!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 AM
grael

Anyone notice Hobby king is planning to sell large jet drives in a couple of weeks from now ?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/blog.asp

And I've been experimenting more with my vacuum forming.
I found that for the 450mm long boat, 0.5mm sheet for the hull works, but looks like it might be too weak for a high power setup like I have in my fibreglass TyRap boat.

0.5mm hull and deck is only 97 grams of weight !

0.75mm thick hull feels a lot more sturdy, and with 0.5mm top is what I'd consider to be a reasonably durable racing setup.

I figured out that I can vacuum mould over nuts or washers, or small magnets, and then bond the deformed piece (with a magnet inside) under the deck for snap on covers. I have a light weight bonding method, and I also found a clear compound that adheres to the PETg plastic, that would also be great for bonding in running lights to the hulls

Building the fleet, see the photo! I need more drivers now...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50293.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1514461  
Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 AM
JCAustralia

Waoh [8D]

These boats look cool, especially the Kevlar hybrid one.

JC
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 AM
sundogz

Grael it looks like you've been busy! And thanks for the heads-up on Hobby City's jet drive - I can't wait to see the specs and price. It's about time - I have been waiting forever for stores to re-stock the Graupner 2344 so I can supercharge a Tear-Into. Nice work on the hulls, by the way.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: grael

Anyone notice Hobby king is planning to sell large jet drives in a couple of weeks from now ?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/blog.asp

And I've been experimenting more with my vacuum forming.
I found that for the 450mm long boat, 0.5mm sheet for the hull works, but looks like it might be too weak for a high power setup like I have in my fibreglass TyRap boat.

0.5mm hull and deck is only 97 grams of weight !

0.75mm thick hull feels a lot more sturdy, and with 0.5mm top is what I'd consider to be a reasonably durable racing setup.

I figured out that I can vacuum mould over nuts or washers, or small magnets, and then bond the deformed piece (with a magnet inside) under the deck for snap on covers. I have a light weight bonding method, and I also found a clear compound that adheres to the PETg plastic, that would also be great for bonding in running lights to the hulls

Building the fleet, see the photo! I need more drivers now...
heres a pic . from the hobby kind site its a 26cc drive
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
damfurst

Hey guys, been sort of busy this summer with service work so haven't been on here much, but I see that someone else already found the proboat duck. The drive does look like the ABC Hobby one Sundogz, but I think it's a scaled down version of it. The motor is a 380 size it says on horizons website. I may have to get one to play with the ducks on the pond next yearor on the creek this winter where they hang out. The drive might be option over the Graupner one too.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
sundogz

Wes, I think you are right about that. I thought 380 was a typo, but there is no flux cover, and on closer inspection no plastic bar over the connector and the transom screws are closer together. Looks like a scaled down version all right. Wonder what impeller size? 19mm like the Graupner and NQD is my guess.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: mickieb49

Here is a video of my newly finished brushless jet boat,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJ7ex4OGaM

Enjoy
Mick
Great video! Makes me miss my 1:1 23' Yamaha SX230 twin engine jet boat. Loves to do power slides
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
mickieb49

Thanks, probably slides a little too much but a hoot to drive, should have designed the bottom a little better , more "V" , to aid gripping in the turns but don't have the time to make another mold. Working on a 72" cat plug at the moment.
Cheers Mick
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 AM
grael

comments ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32235.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	1527044  
Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Im going to try and squeeze a Graupner mini jet drive into a 12 1/2" BBY Micro Patriot...

[X(]

Hope it fits/works.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:52 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: Basstronics

Im going to try and squeeze a Graupner mini jet drive into a 12 1/2'' BBY Micro Patriot...

[X(]

Hope it fits/works.
check out the sec page on this thread look at headhunters he has done it . its not the best hull to put a jet in he had a lot of hopeing at speed . it does do some really good subaring in the rapids .

heres the build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65...tm.htm#8761261
Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: grael

comments ?[img][/img]
Pretty! I'm thinking you colored the insides so the outside would stay glossy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.