Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM
airplanegeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Waco Nut,

Congrats on deciding to build a YMF -5

As a A&P/IA that works on a YMF5 there are several points I would like to share. Not to discourage you though!

A homebuilt ymf is an ambitious project to say the very least. 5000hrs sounds shy, considering many builders log around that for much smaller and less complex aircraft such as skybolts. These type of biplanes are proven homebuilts with tonns of experianced builders there to help you. I have seen Skybolts with Radials. It is a nice combo that you may want to consider.

-Consider the amount of time researching and sourcing parts that are required versus using the BOM that comes with a planes built aircraft plans package.

-One consideration of homebuilding is resale value. your completed waco will probably not bring 50% of what a factory unit would bring. Many homebuilders take huge losses to sell their aircraft.

-This is not a trainer in any way shape or form. I hope you are a well seasoned tail wheel pilot. If not, you should start now with every type of tail wheel aircarft you can rent or beg time in. These old designs like to do anything but roll straight down the runway.

-I hope you are building an aircaft with all the factory changes made. That in its self may be imposible to replicate without the factory drawings.

I would be happy to show you around our shop with ymf-5 and upf-7(in peices) at Smoketown Airport, PA. Come on over sometime!

I don't want to discourage you - I just don't want to see you'r project on Barnstormers 5 years from know cause you got the craps of the project!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on that in the future.
I am fully aware of the scope of the project and the headaches in the future. I am going to do my best to incorporate the mods for the landing gear and this may be a bit of a pain. Without drawings from Waco Classics I will have to create drawings and have them approved. I am sure this is easier said than done. BTW: I have access to a CNC shop to produce any machined parts required and I also have access to a heat treat furnace. The only associated cost will be the raw materials.

I know the sad fact of selling a home built as I sold one for my mother around 12 yrs ago that her late husband was building and was 50% complete when he passed away from a heart attack. Did not recover but about 50% of what was invested in the kit and engine. It was a Pulsar composite kit plane.

I will be getting tons of help on the Waco and I am sure there are going to be times when I wished I had never started. I think my biggest issue is going to be all the sheet metal work. No clue about working with the stuff. I will hit a couple EAA workshops and see if I can pick up some pointers. I am also going to buy some video series on different aspects of home building. The wood work on the wings shouldn't be too bad. I think I have the fuse framework lined out. I can even get that welded up for about 9K if I want to spend the extra money to pay someone else to do the work.

The fact is I don't care if it takes me 15-20yrs to complete. You only live once and I want a Waco I do not intend on selling the plane and I am sure once I am gone the wife will get enough out of it for her and her new husband to take a nice vacation
Later!!
Anthony
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM
airplanegeek

Sounds like you have done some homework - Go for It ! Keep us posted with how your plans develop.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

The Waco finally got into the air yesterday, Jeff Quesenberry took it off and trimmed it for me. Thanks Jeff. It certainly wants to go left on takeoff, the tail lifts off fairly quickly. I flew it for a while and then did a few landing approaches to get a feel for it. The landing was a nonevent, it just set down on the mains and slowed down, it does sort of float which to me is a little surprising for a 32lb plane. I have to fix the tail feather flying wires/rods, the nuts even with Loctite came lose and one of the rods fell off in flight. The engine needs more right thrust per Jeff, and the rudder is too sensitive, just need to reduce the throws. All in all, I'm pleased.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: chuck l

The Waco finally got into the air yesterday, Jeff Quesenberry took it off and trimmed it for me. Thanks Jeff. It certainly wants to go left on takeoff, the tail lifts off fairly quickly. I flew it for a while and then did a few landing approaches to get a feel for it. The landing was a nonevent, it just set down on the mains and slowed down, it does sort of float which to me is a little surprising for a 32lb plane. I have to fix the tail feather flying wires/rods, the nuts even with Loctite came lose and one of the rods fell off in flight. The engine needs more right thrust per Jeff, and the rudder is too sensitive, just need to reduce the throws. All in all, I'm pleased.
Tell Jeff that he needs to learn that the left stick does more than move forward and backward. Jeez, doesn't anyone use the rudder? Most planes will dart left under full throttle. I really hate to see anyone build in the right thrust, and then find out that it only helps at one throttle setting. Not ranting, but.................

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-05-2010, 04:05 AM
WacoNut

Congrats Chuck,
Sounds like you will have a good flyer on your hands. For the flying wires try a solder on clevis at one end and a threaded at the other. This will prevent the wires from rotating and coming loose. I use this method on all my wires and thet stay tight.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 AM
chuck l

Waconut,

I made the wires out of 4-40 rod doing what you described. It was the nuts on the bolts that go through the fin and stab that came loose. They have Nylock nutss on them now.

Chuck
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
WacoNut

Hi Chuck,
I do attach mine with the nylon lock nuts as well, they will stay in place.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
codiddley
My Feedback: (4)

It has been months since I last checked in here, and I am glad to see so many new completed projects!

Waconut- I learned wood working building a set of taper wings for an ASO being converted to a ATO or QTO. Waco's are HUGE and you will be going through gallons of West Systems epoxy! It is a project and a half- and don't forget the Antique Aircraft Association as a resource. They have a fly in every year, and there are tons of Waco's and people that are passionate enough to help others projects succeed. Not to mention the Bi-plane fly in every year in Iowa.

I have been looking for a scale project for my dad and I to do together. I have been fixated on Waco's since I first flew one when I was 15. I'm hoping you guys can help clarify something for me- what are the differences between the UPF-7 and the YMF-5 besides motors and what basic airframe changes were made between '34 and '36? I am saving up for a AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 that I want to convert to a UPF-7, but have not found any 3-views to compare them. Below is a video of the plane I am hoping to re-create. Kyle Franklin and his wife rock! I hope i get to see them in person someday!

You guys rock- it really is inspirational to see what many of you have accomplished! Enjoy the video- makes me happy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zup0DU8_AJQ

one thing that sucks about this place is that I can't embed video!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM
WacoNut

There are numerous differences in the airframe fuse and wings. I know a couple of guys have converted the AMR to a UPF-7. I have even seen one with a turbine mouted like Jimmy Franklins Waco. Jimmy put on a great show and it was a sad day when him and Bobby Youkin (spelling?) died in a mid-air during a show.

The Waco will be alot of work but rewarding work. I think I will really enjoy building the wings.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 PM
chuck l

Who makes a dummy radial engine for the quarter Waco?

Chuck
Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 AM
skylarkmk1

codiddely,

Get a copy of Paul Matt's Drawings of the UPF and the YMF at http://www.windcanyonbooks.com/books.php?pid=34&cat=1 (get the larger format drawings, about 17" x 22"). Once you study them you will find that the YMF could be converted but that would be lots of work (easier to start from scatch).

Some of the differences I have noted:

Different fuselage design, different formers and main fuse frame.

UPF is a few inches longer in Overall Length

Wingspans are the same, YMF has 2° dihedral in the upper wing, the UPF has none in the upper wings (flat), and both have 2° in the lower. The UPF has a plywood perimeter around the wingtips approximately 8" wide. Wing Walks are on both sides of the fuselage on the UPF, port side only on the YMF (unless specially ordered).

Cabane struts are different. The UPF has a horizontal strut just above the fuselage connecting the lower ends of the front and rear cabane struts.

Different center section cutout for front cockpit access. Military specs called for a larger, square cutout on the UPFs rather than the curved section found on a few early civilian models. Y/UMFs have a smooth curve for the cutout.

Rudder and Vertical Fin have a different profile, the UPF being taller and more pointed while the YMF is wider and more round. The UPF has air balance section at the top that is square to the vertical fin, the original Y/UMFs did not have an air balance, and the new Super YMFs have an angled air balance. UPFs have a fixed metal trim tab on the rudder; YMFs have an inset, adjustable balsa trim tab.

Horizontal Stabilizer and Elevator have a different top view profile. The UPF leading edge curves back near the fuselage and the elevator is narrower. The UPF stab/elevator airfoil is much thicker (approx 3 times thicker).

Landing gear is different. UPF gear is taller and has a wider stance (101†vs 74-1/2â€). The inner struts “cross†and connect to the fuselage near the main gear attachment point and connect to the main gear below the axels. The Y/UMF gear inner struts do not cross and connect to the fuselage at the bottom of the fuse and to the main gear at the bottom of the outer main strut (about 8-9†higher than the UPF). The newer YMFs have gear that is about 3†shorter than the original. The fairings are different.

Cowls – The majority of Y/UMFs have Bump Cowls (some have been re-fitted with Smooth cowls). The UPFs can have all three styles, Bump, Ring and Smooth.

Waco Joe can tell you more about the UPF as he actually owns and fly’s a full size one, NC 39748
Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Doug
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914 (Rick)
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1
#27 Jacque
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 WacoNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic
#34 Live Wire (Larry)
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
#41 redcesar
#42 S. Christensen (Scott)
#43 Bill Deidrich
#44 Mike Barbee
#45 mrdhud (Dan Hudson)
#46 SoCalSal
#47 Todd (NightStalker)
#48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
#49 mango 12 (Scott)
#50 skyjet 1
#51 ZIG
#52 Didg
#53 MarvinE255 (DOC)
#54 Joe Norris (Full Scale WACO Pilot)
#55 vasek
#56 SuperCub Man (Jim)
#57 Black Drape (Ron)
#58 aminiet (Angel Minet)
#59 Snowball
#60 doc zinger
#61 jagnweiner (Scott)
#62 Meesh (Bob)
#63 BigBoy99 (Bernie)
#64 stifts (Steve)
#65 RCWalker (Wallace)
#66 Mobyal
#67 lazyace
#68 bladerunner1955 (Don)
#69 trlambsr
#70 Big Bird (Ken)
#71 Tony V (Tony)
#72 red 1
#73 412t1 (Sean)
#74 Mr Lucky (Ben Warner)
#75 RICKSTUBBZ (Rick Stubblefield)
#76 ffdg (Fred)
#77 tomcraig
#78 Michou41a Michel
#79 Watzscale (Dick Watz)
#80 Devens
#81 msilvestro (Mark)
#82 Cheechukranch (Lewis)
#83 kruzin55 (Chris)
#84 lynchr (Ron)
#85 airplanegeek
#86 TexasSkyPilot
#87 Garthwood (Charles)
#88 RCBOATMANIAC (Dave)
#89 Thomas B
#90 George Werber
#91 frequent flyer (Don)
#92 adamiani Alex
#93 Kvlasblom
#94 geertdewit (Geert)
#95 Wobble Wing (Bud Halverson)
#96 Joe Gulik
#97 T.L.A.R.eng
#98 kurrikan
#99 Nathan King
#100 nine o nine (Mitch Epstein)
#101 dsquire (Don)
#102 Mr. WACO (Charlie Nelson)
#103 Ken Acosta
#104 denoferth (Dennis)
#105 germrb (Bob Germaine)
#106 J.D. Ramsay
#107 ccrebidoux (Chris)
#108 LarryN (Larry)
#109 X3heimmr (Marty Heim)
#110 Lou Melancon
#111 BEARMX (Barry Waters)
#112 Sir Crashalot (Bob J)
#113 RPSBLS (Bob)
#114 Squeakalong (No name given)
#115 Uminchu (Dave)
#116 Avaiojet (Charles)
#117 Mud Duck (Shaun)
#118 XTRA230 (Rob)
#119 3drc tim
#120 Cubman
#121 Ekim (Mike)
#122 tom czenthe (Mr. Tom)
#123 curt switzer (Mr. Curt)
#124 bbogart (Bruce)
#125 skypup50
#126 RCplanman
#127 froghair1
#128 lrayj (Lonnie)
#129 codiddley
#130 king arthur 1953 (Ron)
#131 sdstick06 (Shawn)
#132 hopkimf (Michael Hopkins)
#133 Cricklewood (Chris Kerrigan)
#134 montiu
#135 carbunkle
#136 Wolfinwisc
#137 mamoose124 (Mike)
#138 pbunster (Paul)
#139 Paul of the North (Paul)
#140 eagledancer (Todd Bixby)
#141 Cottco RC
#142 Neil K (Neil Kilchriste)
#143 Aerowoof
#144 Phlip (Phil Duncan)
#145 flyinjay (Mark)
#146 Cursor (Rick Allison)
#147 Teus
#148 Steve Percifield
#149 rootsgroup
#150 johnboy151A (John Shrick)
#151 georgewaldrop (George Waldrop)
#152 rkflyingboats (Bob)
#153 reyn3545 (Mike Reynolds)
#154 PanHeadAndy
#155 Amscat (Andy)
#156 Skipb (Skip)
#157 Dirtydingus (Jim)
#158 cdbarker (Carl Barker)
#159 TJDNC (Thomas Dugan)
#160 Gunner3 (Bob Faetsch)
#161 fishinchickens (Neil Abbot)
#162 pittsdriver (Don)
#163 rc wings (Marko)
#164 greybeardaviation
#165 tokpilot
#166 davivgeorge212 (David G)
#167 lanny haff
#168 Dick Pettit
#169 abergmann
#170 FMBB Peter Barth
#171 Redbiscuits (Gary)
#172 ross felix
#173 biplano (Oscar Aitken)
#174 RBACONS
#175 flightstick (Gary)
#176 Mark Wolf
#177 paulemv (Paul T. VanDenburgh)

#200 GEORGE QUINN (posthumous Brother)

WACO Sisterhood Roster:

S-1 Janelle (Lady Stickbuilder)
S-2 Sissy Nightstalker
S-3 Barb Barbee
S-4 LadyMango (Lynda)
S-5 BUMBLE GEE BEE (Gabi)
S-6 Sue Watz
S-7 Joanie Allison (Lady Cursor)
S-8 Lady RCBOATMANIAC (Christine)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM
skylarkmk1

codiddley,

Check out the following for UPF-7 plans in different sizes and types and/or partial kits;

AMA Plans Service - plans (rubber to R/C)

Kit Cutters (Morgan/Novak) - Plans and partial kits

Do a search for Jerry Behrens – ¼ Scale Waco UPF-7 plans (they are sport scale but are a place to start)

I can't vouch for the scale accuracy any of the plans except for the Behrens plans
Old 10-06-2010, 05:00 PM
WacoJoe

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Cabane struts are different. The UPF has a horizontal strut just above the fuselage connecting the lower ends of the front and rear cabane struts.
John covered the basic differences between the UMF/YMF and the UPF pretty well. My only comment is on the statement above. The UPFs did not originally have the extra brace at the base of the cabane strut, and later serial numbers do not require it. Most have them anyway (including mine) but it would not be incorrect to leave that little detail off.

Cheers!

Joe
WB #54
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM
codiddley

Skylarkmk1 and Waco Joe- thank you both very much for that fantastic information. I will look into the plans you mention and see what laser parts/plans are available. Obviously it would be much easier of a kit were already available- I'm trying to avoid scratch building this as much as possible. I want to see it done before kingdom come! If it comes right down to it maybe we can just tweak the AMR for a sport-scale version. Maybe compete in Pro-am or something NOT judged on the table!

My dad used to design and laser cut horse drawn wagon kits for model railroads. It is a possibility to draw up some new formers or ribs. He still has access to the Laser Cutter- but I feel like I would be asking too much volunteering him to draw up and cut an entire kit. Just doing the drawings would take a Herculean effort on it's own. I have already sent an e-mail to AMR. We'll see what they say- their current Waco's are beautiful!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 PM
WacoNut

The AMR Waco is a good solid airframe. It can be done, the top cabane would need to be changed to get the cutout a squared off look and no dihedral. The new fuse formers would not be too hard to make. I suggest cutting the formers and getting the proper shape then cut the stringer notches while the formers are on the fuse. It is much easier to get the proper stringer alignment that way.
The gear braces can be chaged to make the landing gear look more like a UPF. No matter what you do a bipe of this size is alot of work. It takes alot of guts to invest that much in a kit then bash it into something else.
Good Luck!!
Anthony
Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
codiddley

After searching the internet I couldn't find any lazer cutters with the files for the UPF. The only plans I found were for the rubber powered one. The old Morgan plans might be floating around somewhere, but I didn't have any luck finding them. AMR did respond to my e-mail and said look for a 25-27% UPF sometime in 2011. I don't really want to go that 'small,' I'm used to bigger planes, and love they way they fly and present in the air. If we build this project it's going to be flown. I do 3D and aerobatic demo's for my clubs annual airshow and other local events. It would be great to bring this one to Big Bird and full scale airshows to demos with.

As it is now I think kit bashing the AMR is the way to go unless someone starts kitting them of had a decent cut file we can mod for the scale. Changing their airframe will be a chore, but much less of one then drawing up plans for a new one! Now if I save $100 a month it will only be a year and a half before I can afford the kit! Maybe I could sell some stuff off...

Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
johnboy151a
My Feedback: (68)

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Here are a few more of the progress.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Found this on ebay. Thought you may be intrested.
John
http://cgi.ebay.com/BYRON-RC-Airplan...item3cb14cabab
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
skipb
My Feedback: (6)

For the Morgan plans check out Vintage R/C Plans; www.vintagercplans.com.

Skipb
Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: johnboy151a

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Here are a few more of the progress.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Found this on ebay. Thought you may be intrested.
John
http://cgi.ebay.com/BYRON-RC-Airplan...item3cb14cabab
If I were going to replace the Landing gear, I'd get CJM or Robart to make a set. Sure would not come from Sierra. I ain't gonna live to be that old.[8D]

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Stickbuilder

Went down to the Monter Event today, and Waco's were well represented. Dingus was there with his flamed AMR, and the old Bob Gonzalez red and black Classic was there too, with its new owner. I'll post some pics as soon as Janelle gets them downloaded.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-11-2010, 04:08 AM
Stickbuilder

Here are a few photos taken at the Monster Event.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99526.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1514476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80503.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1514477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16753.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1514478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92325.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1514479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vh56150.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1514480  
Old 10-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Stickbuilder

What is the problem? Has everyone stopped loving their Waco?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 AM
aminiet

I am not done sanding off what don't look like an airplane yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.