Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

help with mtII. keep loosing gears.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

help with mtII. keep loosing gears.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
hpijunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with mtII. keep loosing gears.

no matter what i do i keep tearing up my diff gears.
i have used gorrella grease as well as the recomended rc grease.

just running the stock 3.0 motor and i keep tearing up the factory diff gears.
does anyone make a better gear setup??????????????
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help with mtII. keep loosing gears.

i'm not sure cuz i don't own one but i did see someone at one point talkin bout puttin savage diffs in it to keep that very thing from happening.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

i'm not sure cuz i don't own one but i did see someone at one point talkin bout puttin savage diffs in it to keep that very thing from happening.
savage diffs are way bigger than the MT2's diff. You probably read about using a spur gear off of a savage(which WILL fit) I probably read the same thing you did cause I read something similar long ago, and thought that was the case till I owed a savage and saw the diffs size in comparison.

As for diffs there are MT2 G3's or MT2 18SS's (18ss ones I heard are stronger) other than those 2 that is about it

Only thing I can think of is the diffs weren't shimmed properly. I've used a G3 on MT1 diffs and those were the weakest ones made out of them all and they withstood it.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:05 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

savage diffs are way bigger than the MT2's diff. You probably read about using a spur gear off of a savage(which WILL fit) I probably read the same thing you did cause I read something similar long ago, and thought that was the case till I owed a savage and saw the diffs size in comparison.

As for diffs there are MT2 G3's or MT2 18SS's (18ss ones I heard are stronger) other than those 2 that is about it

Only thing I can think of is the diffs weren't shimmed properly. I've used a G3 on MT1 diffs and those were the weakest ones made out of them all and they withstood it.
i think the info you just gave was in the same thread , like i said i don't own one but when i read it awhile back i thought to myself about the savage ones being bigger.
i have owned a savage but not the mt2 so i wasn't sure.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM
hpijunkie

diff parts for the g and 18ss are the same in the book. i have the 18ss model.
the spyder gears is what i keep losing.

i know about using a piece of paper between the spur gear and the gear on the flywheel for meshing but dont know about testing the diff gear mesh.
whats the best way to test to see if the gears are shimmed enough?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm weird.
are you doing donuts?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM
hpijunkie

nope not doing donuts. just trying to drive it. most of the time has been on the pavement due to not having a track nearby.
will be going out in woods to run it once i can figure out why im breaking the gears.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

hmmm weird.
are you doing donuts?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 PM
bigdogkanicsar

when shimming diffs you want to shim it so the ring gear sits closer to the pinion, try to turn with your thumb and if it feels stiff then take a shim out.
as far as spider gears inside the diff, you may want to check out some silicone diff lube, it may add some cushion on harder operation and keep the spider gears from clacking together and causing them to strip/break.