Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

inovermyhead

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:59 AM
IscarRep
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: inovermyhead

I hung a DL 50 in my Obsession....13.9 lbs with dual 2300 mah nimh packs and switches.Moved the tank back to just in front of the wingtube.Also good flying buddy Scott Gerber gave me a set of carbon fiber gear from his 89" Slick (RIP) that I mounted on the bottom of the fuse with a block mounted in between the stock gear location and the bottom floor of the fuse.I just ran longer screws thru the gear, bottom sheeting and the block into the original blind nuts.Worked great with plenty of prop clearance for a Vess 23A.Definitely a shoehorn job and not something I would recommend for someone just starting out.The point of this post is to show the fit of the 50 cc motor.It is not totally oversized installation-wise.Power is plentiful and this thing lands like a butterfly with sore feet.Slows up very nicely upon landing.The 30 cc motors would fly it but it would definitley not be overpowered.Sorry about the photo quality...cell phone pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74790.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1514002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86430.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1514003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27092.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1514004  
Old 10-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you move the firewall back or anything? Or did you just leave it and have the back of the prop the prop an inch out in front?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM
IscarRep

I just left the firewall as is....I have 5/8 " to the back of the prop.I have about 3/8 " from the choke plate to the firewall with the choke in the open position.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:38 PM
straitnickel

the manual calls for a os120fs or a ys 140. imho, engine that the mentioned in the manual will be easiest to install and have will likely have a nice amount of power.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:22 PM
rob_acdgspetc
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

the manual calls for a os120fs or a ys 140. imho, engine that the mentioned in the manual will be easiest to install and have will likely have a nice amount of power.
That seems to be the most prictical solution for me. Having never dealt with this size plane huh?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 PM
edwal07

I have the Obsession with a YS-140 Sport on the nose. Plenty of power, pure vertical and an excellent flyer. 50cc is a bit overboard, but better to have more power than not enough. Yes, I know the YS is a tough engine to tune, but once set up it has tons of power, I also have a pattern ship with the YS-160 on a 12lb plane that is awesome. However the 30cc DLE would fly it with authority, I just don't like cutting up the cowl to put it in. I like the looks.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM
luvthestang
My Feedback: (172)

Looking at the specs for the recommended engines. I think the DLE 20 would be a great choice. More power than a 120 sized fs and you can cut the fuel tank size in half. Also it mounts on rail in the same space as a 120 fs... These kits are hard to come by. so treat it nice. I think it ewill be very easy to fly just make sure that you set your CG up correctly towards the front of the suggested values to start with...
BEst,
D
Old 10-10-2010, 08:36 PM
luvthestang
My Feedback: (172)

Also a Saito add just jumped up the FG-30 has a different muffler set up and would probably fly the snot out of this beast...
D
Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't waste your time with glow. Go straight to the DLE 30 and be done with it. Glow is too expensive and dirty.
Downside is you don't get to use cool words like "nitro".

There HAS to be a reason why folks choose and prefer one over the other.....anyone?
Cost of fuel, ease of finding fuel, sound of the engine(even the idle sounds great with a gasoline engine), less mess, usually larger airframes, easier starting (less field gear needed).
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 PM
IscarRep

ORIGINAL: edwal07

I have the Obsession with a YS-140 Sport on the nose. Plenty of power, pure vertical and an excellent flyer. 50cc is a bit overboard, but better to have more power than not enough. Yes, I know the YS is a tough engine to tune, but once set up it has tons of power, I also have a pattern ship with the YS-160 on a 12lb plane that is awesome. However the 30cc DLE would fly it with authority, I just don't like cutting up the cowl to put it in. I like the looks.

It is a bit overboard with the 50 cc..... ;-)
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 AM
rob_acdgspetc

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Don't waste your time with glow. Go straight to the DLE 30 and be done with it. Glow is too expensive and dirty.
Downside is you don't get to use cool words like "nitro".

There HAS to be a reason why folks choose and prefer one over the other.....anyone?
Cost of fuel, ease of finding fuel, sound of the engine(even the idle sounds great with a gasoline engine), less mess, usually larger airframes, easier starting (less field gear needed).

LOL Excellent. So many choices, what to do what to do!!! LOL

I like the idea that the OS 120 (recommended in the manual) will go right on with no mods. What gasser is out there that will bolt right on with no issues or headaches and is about the same price? I've found OS 120's for around $200. I don't mind nitro clean up and all, I'm used to that with my TREX 700. Besides, cleaning your aircraft is a great way to do preventive maintenance, checks and services. (if you know where I got that, then hooah).

You guys have been great, in the past 30 hours I've learned more than I ever expected about this plane. I am a heli flyer through and through I got a couple foamies to fly as a brain break and swore I would never mess with any more planes. I love building and working with the heli's,but have zero, notta,no interest in building a plane. Ihave nothing against planes. But I do have ADHD very bad, and that kind of delicate buildwould just never happen and I never thought about having someone build me one. You can't be a slave to two masters and my primary focus is the helis. (imagine this. balsa wood and cover materialstuck all over my face and a plane with three wings and six wheels that sits on end like the space shuttle with diet pepsi cans as booster rockets and that would be me building one of these kinds of planes)

However. I am excited about getting this baby in the air.I like just looking at it sitting on the ground. What a beautiful machine. Gonna start ordering what I need in the next few days and maybe have it in the air in the next week or two. I WILL report back with pics. In the meantime, keep the ideas coming. You guys are easily as nice and gracious as the heli guys are. (I didn't expect less)
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 AM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a trip. I never got into heli's for the about the same reasons you never got into planes. They are too complicated and require way too much maintenance for me. I hope you enjoy your trip over to the dark side.
John
Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 PM
rob_acdgspetc

what's the propeller recommendation, if i take the os 120 ax route?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Super08

16x8 to a 17x6.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:19 PM
rob_acdgspetc

ORIGINAL: Super08

16x8 to a 17x6.

what do have? Like a degree in model planes or something? Thanks..
Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Super08

No just a quick search in the rpm forum and it gives the results of everyones rpms with what props and what works best....
Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM
rob_acdgspetc

ORIGINAL: Super08

No just a quick search in the rpm forum and it gives the results of everyones rpms with what props and what works best....
well ****, i tried that...probably didn't know what to look for once i got there....so double thanks for helping me cause I'm lazy AND ignorant...LOL
Old 10-11-2010, 01:44 PM
rob_acdgspetc

ORIGINAL: JNorton

That is a trip. I never got into heli's for the about the same reasons you never got into planes. They are too complicated and require way too much maintenance for me. I hope you enjoy your trip over to the dark side.
John
I'm just gonna get me one of these and be done with it...LOL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51566.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1514806  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
rob_acdgspetc

Does anyone know if a Evoltion 26GX will fit on that Obsession 3d?   With no headaches?