Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

IQ-Hammer Turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

IQ-Hammer Turbines

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: IQ-Hammer Turbines

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

cant seem to find a serial number on this engine? Where should I be looking?
BTW.... this motor locked up in flight causing in-flight fire but was landed successfully.
It looks like someone tried to put a fire out unit a fire extinguisher that uses powder?

not good if so/

Andy
Old 10-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd,
the serial number is engraved in the small safety lead wich retains one of the case screw.

I have one that locked up , but it was fortunately before starting up. While running , a part came off the compressor and teared a few diffusor blades with it but I didn't notice anything, on the following start the engine was simply locked by one of these blades. Graupner took care of that and it was a first class service.

Florent
Old 10-12-2010, 01:59 AM
Eagle Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd,

the ECU will show you the serial number also !

wow, that engine looks worst []

It`s a original G-Booster !!!
Where do you send that Engine ?
To Hammer Engines or to Graupner ?
The serial number will be very importand.

As i understand that engine is third hand now,
correct me if i`m wrong !!!

Owners Gietz, than you and now your friend ?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
mphtec-inactive

Hello OLI
As you know i uesd to fly for the Booster team,
In 2009 i was lucky enough to be invited out to fly at the Alain (UAE) airshow within the party we had 8 Booster 160+ engines and 1x 80+ over 5 days of flying we had one flame out (they dont run without fuel) tank empty,,,, the temps were quite hot ,I flew mine in a very large F104 starfight and i was asking alot of the engine in these conditions, As you know OLI 3 days later and were at a different field I know you witnessed another 3 days of flying there and although the party was now smaller 3 Boosters performed faultlessly , over the shows i put in 22 flights .I witnessed another maker, have flameouts and crashes due to engine problems.. We all seem to suffer problems but for some reason you seem to have it in to make problems for a certain manufacturer . Why! is this because i would not give you A Graupner hat when you demanded one from me! I dont know, I think you need to be more fair on your comments and get some flying in rather than sit at your computer all day racking up posts.. Without being biased ,as a freelanceI can be, I have had Boosters for 6 years now and I fly regularly through about 30 to 40 litres a week thats about 2200 litres a year . Thats why i do not have time to post on here, Build Build Build fly fly fly. Not type type type..
This thread started off on a guy saying how impressed he was with the new IQHammer engines. Its about time people follow what a thread is about and stay with the thread if they have something bad to say use the telephone or do it face to face..
Thank you all at Hammer for all you have done for me in the past 6 years and I hope your success continues in the future,.. you have done a great job keep it up.. I know, I have been flying their engines....
regards Mark Hinton..
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: mphtec

Hello OLI
In 2009 i was lucky enough to be invited out to fly at the Alain (UAE) airshow within the party we had 8 Booster 160+ engines and 1x 80+ over 5 days of flying we had one flame out (they dont run without fuel) tank empty,,,, the temps were quite hot ,I flew mine in a very large F104 starfight and i was asking alot of the engine in these conditions, As you know OLI 3 days later and were at a different field I know you witnessed another 3 days of flying there and although the party was now smaller 3 Boosters performed faultlessly , over the shows i put in 22 flights .I witnessed another maker, have flameouts and crashes due to engine problems.. We all seem to suffer problems but for some reason you seem to have it in to make problems for a certain manufacturer . Why! is this because i would not give you A Graupner hat when you demanded one from me! I dont know, I think you need to be more fair on your comments and get some flying in rather than sit at your computer all day racking up posts.. Without being biased ,as a freelanceI can be, I have had Boosters for 6 years now and I fly regularly through about 30 to 40 litres a week thats about 2200 litres a year . Thats why i do not have time to post on here, Build Build Build fly fly fly. Not type type type..
This thread started off on a guy saying how impressed he was with the new I Q Hammer engines. Its about time people follow what a thread is about and stay with the thread if they have something bad to say use the telephone or do it face to face..
Thank you all at Hammer for all you have done for me in the past 6 years and I hope your success continues in the future,.. you have done a great job keep it up.. I know, I have been flying their engines.. ..
regards Mark Hinton..
Mark,
With all due respect... There ARE indeed many out there that are not having the same luck with these engines. The one currently in house is a perfect example of that. I will take the engine apart and see if we can get it running again but it is clear there are flaws creating issues for several Booster customers that should be addressed. Perhaps these issues have been resolved in the newest releases but where does that leave the current customers with engines that wont perform in typical atmospheric conditions seen outside of the UK and Germany?

Eagle,
It seems George was unable to get info on where to send the engine for service the last round with all the changes going on in this brand.... Here is what he told me:
"I think the engine went to Didi the first time when XPS and Graupner were partnered up. The engine went to Arno most recently because I thought they (Arno/Didi) were the "same" entity. With the Booster/Evo/Hammer lines being blurred I sent it to the address I got from Chad (sin city jets) not knowing they were different."

Looking at the engine, the lock tab says EVO and the ECU is actually an EVO unit now. Not sure what Arno did during the service but will attempt to find out. No serial on the lock tab...will a Jetcat GSU work with this ECU?? Dont have the GSU for the engine.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 AM
gregairbus

Hello Mark,
I am an owner of a g booster 160 and fly in the U.A.E.
I also was at the events you mention and I can tell you that is not hot that is winter time
I can not use my booster for 6 months of the year as it will not start or if it does it will not accelerate
During the winter months like when you were here it is fine, so in the the hotter weather I use jetcat engines which work fine.

P.S. I DID NOT ASK YOU FOR A Cap
Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 AM
mphtec-inactive

Hi Greg i know you didnt ! Tee Hee Oli did however,,,,,,
Hope you are good, I wish you had told me of your problems then..
Regards MH
Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 AM
tahfiet

Hi Todd!

That was definitely a problem, that people overseas didn't know where to send the engines. For that reason, it is good that they finally divided and do their own stuff. Now, with that new situation, Turbo-Diddi doesn't use the Orbit ECUs anymore. And he is happy with the performance of the Projet-ECU and the way those guys react on his input for the right engine-management. That is why IQ-engines are different. Not only internally, but with a hole new software/electronic.

I am sorry for everyone who had bad experience with his Booster engine. I do own 4 of them and have always been very happy with the way they perform. They have had not more or less problems as any other engine I have been using.

David
Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Hello OLI
This thread started off on a guy saying how impressed he was with the new I Q Hammer engines. Its about time people follow what a thread is about and stay with the thread if they have something bad to say use the telephone or do it face to face..
Thank you all at Hammer for all you have done for me in the past 6 years and I hope your success continues in the future,.. you have done a great job keep it up.. I know, I have been flying their engines.. ..
regards Mark Hinton..
Mark,
With all due respect... There ARE indeed many out there that are not having the same luck with these engines. The one currently in house is a perfect example of that. I will take the engine apart and see if we can get it running again but it is clear there are flaws creating issues for several Booster customers that should be addressed. Perhaps these issues have been resolved in the newest releases but where does that leave the current customers with engines that wont perform in typical atmospheric conditions seen outside of the UK and Germany?

Eagle,
It seems George was unable to get info on where to send the engine for service the last round with all the changes going on in this brand.... Here is what he told me:
''I think the engine went to Didi the first time when XPS and Graupner were partnered up. The engine went to Arno most recently because I thought they (Arno/Didi) were the ''same'' entity. With the Booster/Evo/Hammer lines being blurred I sent it to the address I got from Chad (sin city jets) not knowing they were different.''

Looking at the engine, the lock tab says EVO and the ECU is actually an EVO unit now. Not sure what Arno did during the service but will attempt to find out. No serial on the lock tab...will a Jetcat GSU work with this ECU?? Dont have the GSU for the engine.

Todd,

When I spoke to you the other day this is why I asked where the engine had been sent as ARno and Didi/Dietmar are not the same entity or people and this is where the confusion seems to lie.

I have a GSU from the Booster engine for the JetTronik ECU's. If you think this will work, I will send it to you to try.

PaulD
Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Eagle Driver

Hey Paul,

pls call Diddi regarding your engine .... !!!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM
lov2flyrc

So... I finally found a little time to pull apart this Booster 160 and see what has happened. Appears the NGV has warped causing the wheel to rub and seize the engine up. You can see the warpage in the pic below, took it from the front side of the NGV as it was easier to see with the naked eye but a caliper around the back side confirmed it was out a couple of thousandths. You can also see some of the vanes showing a tad a warpage. Chucked the NGV up in my lathe and took off just enough to get it round again. My guess is there is a plugged nozzle or two creating uneven burn in the chamber, thus uneven heat distribution on the NGV. Chamber does show some uneven burn patterns so I will check the needles. less than 6 flights on this engine since it was serviced by Arno!
Strangely, this engine had FOUR pre-load springs under the front bearing, one under the rear. Never seen an engine require four springs, does anyone know if this is a normal setup on the booster??

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk27694.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1518992   Click image for larger version

Name:	id97353.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1518993   Click image for larger version

Name:	mr42184.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1518994  
Old 10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
lov2flyrc

As suspected, three needles are plugged and 2 others not flowing at the same rate. I normally check these with kero after confirming flow rates on gas but clearly there is a problem with the fuel ring. Will try and unplug these but may require a new ring.

Name:	Pm35123.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1519028  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:57 AM
chrigui

interesting..

the spring was all on the same position or 2 rear and 2 front?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd

Not trying to be critical, but this would be of great interest to Booster owners, perhaps a new post showing the strip down process and what you have found?

Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Eagle Driver

Todd,

that engine was not serviced at the Hammer Engines Factory.
A original G-Booster will never left the factory with a evo lock tab.
Don´t know who serviced that engine ..... [:@]

Why would anyone trust the new stuff is any better if the factory cant even get the "Old" stuff working right for their current customer base?
... what if the factory never get it for service ???

Never seen an engine require four springs, does anyone know if this is a normal setup on the booster??
thats the normal G-Booster setup !!!

So if you need any help or parts for that engine fell free to contact us and we will help

Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Stephan, sent you a PM, I'm on msn
Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Why! is this because i would not give you A Graupner hat when you demanded one from me! I dont know, I think you need to be more fair on your comments and get some flying in rather than sit at your computer all day racking up posts..

regards Mark Hinton..
Thank you for the good laugh Mark.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Todd

Not trying to be critical, but this would be of great interest to Booster owners, perhaps a new post showing the strip down process and what you have found?

Mike
Hi Mike,
Well... I would, but the engine has already been broken down. I am not an expert in turbine design by any means and I can only tell you what I see in comparison to other engines (pretty much all brands) I have worked on.
I am a little surprised by the NGV design. It is a 2 piece that is welded together which seems a bit thin on the vane side at .040 where we typically see material thickness of around .075 to .090. The vanes look really aggressive, most likely contributing to the higher ambient temp issues. The vanes start at practically 90deg and have a very sharp angle to them, I would imagine this is creating quite a bit of heat on the NGV as well.
Placement of the TC is interesting. I question the accuracy of the temps readings at this location. I would venture to guess that if a TC was placed at the normal nozzle location, much higher EGT would be seen.... Merely speculation however.
The engine design appears to be fairly well thought out and possesses some innovative engineering. Everything looks good till you get to the NGV which is where I believe the density issues lie.

Steve,
As mentioned, for the last go-around George was unsure where to send the engine for service. It was "Repaired" by Arno at Evo. The two previous times it was sent for service, it went back to booster (Didi).
Has the NGV been updated? If so, can we get a new version??? Might be needing a fuel ring if I cant get this one cleared...

Below you will see a Xicoy (Merlin 170) NGV (pic 3) and the Booster 160 NGV (pic 2) for comparison. You can see the aggressive vanes. Pic 1 shows placement of the TC in the NGV, I dont believe you can get an accurate EGT with this placement but will test with external TC. Pic 4 shows the two piece NGV

Name:	zx71893.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1519438   Click image for larger version

Name:	cx76360.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1519439   Click image for larger version

Name:	tz67113.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1519440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52075.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1519441  
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Todd,

Get ahold of Turbo (Dietmar) - I'm sure he will help you with parts. I have his number if you need it.

I really doubt that he was the last one to service this engine as based on my correspondence with him, he would not have shipped an engine with those problems.

He has been very helpfull with the repair of my engine.

PaulD
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd

Do you think those aggresive vanes may be a contributor to the noise difference between the Boosters and other turbines, I do think the Boosters are noisy.

Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Todd

Do you think those aggresive vanes may be a contributor to the noise difference between the Boosters and other turbines, I do think the Boosters are noisy.

Mike
Possibly; but I really don't know what causes variation in sound levels from one engine to the next. Once in the air, they all sound about the same to me and I usually wear hearing protection during ground runs so I dont notice changes in db levels from one engine to the next. I would imagine intake and compressor design would affect an engines noise output levels as well.

Paul, I will contact Dietmar if parts are needed. I dont think George is wanting to put any more $$ in this engine than necessary, it has been a dud for him since day one.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
lov2flyrc

Hmm, another issue...
I need to replace the rear bearing as it feels a bit rough. Cant get the turbine wheel nut off for the life of me (yes, I know it is reverse thread!). I have heated it and even tried an impact gun but is it completely frozen. Why would anyone make a nut this tight????
[]
Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
lov2flyrc

Well... I baked the shaft and then put a 3 foot t-bar on the nut. Finally got it loose. Seems the shaft has seen some extreme heat and fused the nut to the shaft. I know on stainless, dark blue is typically around 600C. Although hard to see in the image, the color transitions from dark blue to black as you move aft on the shaft. Dont have any idea how much heat it takes to turn stainless black... Threads are buggered on the end of the shaft where the nut fused to the shaft.

Name:	tr49337.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	1519556  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM
lov2flyrc

Steven,
can you tell me (or email me) the cost on a shaft and nut. I can probably reuse the current one but might replace depending on cost.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 AM
chrigui

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/22732/Ur52075.jpg[/img]

no good 2 parts NGV soldered together....

merlin maybe use albisser ngv?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.