Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

ORIGINAL: Antique

If youre gonna get a cloned cylinder (G26) why not just use the cylinder from a DLE 30? You wouldn't need the plate to cover the piston port hole in the side, and it would be stronger...I KNOW about DLEs and G26s and JC 28s, I have all three here ........The DLE is stronger.....
I wish you guys would Quit. You have no Point.

I got two friends with DLE 30 Side Carbs. Both crashed their planes because the engine quit on landing at the most inopportune time. I a non DLE owner had to tell them about the Rear carb conversion. They came back to me and said that they had to pay for that. No offer By Jody to replace it or to fix their problem. I know that 's just two engines but thats all we have around here. Oh !!!! and no offer to replace the engines with the fixed and new rear carb versions. There is nothing like having a $350 airframe lesson on DLE Side carbs. Those were average sized 25% Pilot Edges.

This is the wrong place to voice you guys' opinions. You don't have to many fans here.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

If one of you JC 28 people woiuld send me a new version of the JC28 I will do a side by side comparison test with an OLD G26 and a new DLE 30...And #411 Syssa...
The results will be posted here for all to see.....Send me the bill with the engine, Paypal works for me...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Antique
Come over to www.rcaer.com and you can buy the engine via paypal. You ain't no more special than one of my other customers...

To be honest,, your comparison really won't have any bearing on the true capability of any of the engines. You are simply going to do some static rpm testing, and some basic thrust testing. Nice, but it only shows about 20 % of any engines capability. Below is a blog entry from Pat Roy and his thoughts.

So please... buy the JC 28 to enjoy its extremely user friendly capabilities, flight characteristics and power curve. DON"T buy the engine to do a comparison with others, unless you have the sophisticated equipment. My advice... enjoy your retirement.. fly the Pylon circuit. Piddle around with your engines.

The JC 28cc has been reviewed many times by the pro's, and vetted by one hell of a lot of customers. Look at the videos....[link=http://www.rcaer.com/pages/RC_Air_Videos.cfm]RC Aero Engine Videos[/link]. They tell a lot of the story of the engines.

Break in is a pretty easy thing to understand when you can visually see the changes taking pace via advanced monitoring systems in both controlled and uncontrolled environments. When you look at the picture that w8ye posted you might recognize that a lot of engines get set up an a regular basis. Ain't no way I can go into what all they might be. Set up a thousand engines or more a year and you might, just might, develop a "feel" for what they need to complete the break in process. There's a lot more to running an engine, setting it up, and getting all the performance parameters correct besides setting the needles. A whole lot more.

Those that piddle with a couple of needles on the home garage test stands might think they know their engines. If all they have is a tach and a heat gun they are clueless. Sorry folks, but the facts and the truth of complete performance data can't be overshadowed with some silly and generally misunderstood rpm count. Even that fish scale thrust reading is corrupt since it fails to account for blade stall with the propeller. Static prop loading is a fools game where determining engine output is concerned. If you can't unload the prop throughout the engine's power band you really don't know squat. If that's all you have I suppose you can grade your engines based upon extremely limited performance data, but you won't be able to take advantage of accurate comparisons where engine purchase decisions are concerned. You'll be going into the process with about 20% of what you should have to make a valid performance comparison.

None of the above is proprietary, but is pretty commonly understood with most advanced propulsion techs and engineers.

Over and out
Henry

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Antique

I got one from Milton who got gets his from Kevin, just like everyone else.

I have no problem wilh your engines, just how they're portrayed as the greatest thing since sliced bread....Truth be known, almost any 28-30 cc engine will run just like any other 28-30 cc engine..99% of pilots couldn't tell the difference if they didn't know what the name on the engine was.....
Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one of you JC 28 people woiuld send me a new version of the JC28 I will do a side by side comparison test with an OLD G26 and a new DLE 30...And #411 Syssa...
The results will be posted here for all to see.....Send me the bill with the engine, Paypal works for me...
Ralph
The one you have is the latest version of the engine and sometime in the future if you need parts might be impossible to get them.

I also would like to see some picture of the engines being assembled in the US. ???

Henry, What type Dino do you use to test performance and power of the engines. ??

Milton
Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Antique

Touche"
As for dynos. My friend and race engine person is building a small engine dyno for testing our engines....He builds hemi heads for fill size engines, has many world records at Bonnevile, and has his own engine dyno built years ago...It will take up to 5000 hp, so a small engine dyno is easy for him....
IN Flagstaff Arizona. USA
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Touche''
As for dynos. My friend and race engine person is building a small engine dyno for testing our engines....He builds hemi heads for fill size engines, has many world records at Bonnevile, and has his own engine dyno built years ago...It will take up to 5000 hp, so a small engine dyno is easy for him....
In all fairness we dont race or fly dynos.Max rpm horsepower means nothing if its peaky hard to tune etc.I have raced against many pro built dyno tuned engines and left them in the dust with my garage built engine.In fact i still hold a track record here in Arizona thats held up for over 10 years with my garage built engine.Im not defending jc engines as i dont have one.My point is raw numbers mean nothing..If it makes rpm and has great transition then overall it will make a great powerplant.......
Ps i have to add my aerovate twin is a pos. and i do believe it came from the same factory as rc aero engines It has crappy transition and low rpm .i guess i dont know how to twist the needles in my garage.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
trpastor

Let's not forget price point. The engines are close in power - that is pretty obvious. The JC is even lighter than the rear carb version of the DLE. The Side carb had issues (maybe, who knows). But it's $50 more. So for $50 more, you get an engine called DLE, that is heavier, and performs about the same. Both will be put in the same class of plane and fly them equally well

Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 AM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: mighty9

Touche''
In all fairness we dont race or fly dynos.Max rpm horsepower means nothing if its peaky hard to tune etc.I have raced against many pro built dyno tuned engines and left them in the dust with my garage built engine.In fact i still hold a track record here in Arizona thats held up for over 10 years with my garage built engine.Im not defending jc engines as i dont have one.My point is raw numbers mean nothing..If it makes rpm and has great transition then overall it will make a great powerplant.......
Ps i have to add my aerovate twin is a pos. and i do believe it came from the same factory as rc aero engines It has crappy transition and low rpm .i guess i dont know how to twist the needles in my garage.
So then what would you say is a good way to compare engines.

Henry say's that RPM with different props does not show nothing about the engine or does a thrust test with different props, Now a dino is not the way to do it.

So what is the best way to compare. ???

Milton
Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

An independent source flying and running same airframe with the different engines would be the only practical way..Dyno helps show horsepower and curve maybe a timed test could show transition which imo is very important.
ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: mighty9

Touche''
So then what would you say is a good way to compare engines.

Henry say's that RPM with different props does not show nothing about the engine or does a thrust test with different props, Now a dino is not the way to do it.

So what is the best way to compare. ???

Milton
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Piston

Milton.. the parts are available for all the jc engines.... and will be for a while to come. Only AUTHORIZED dealers can get parts.

Ralph (Antique)... If you have constructive things to say.. say them.. You do have good ideas...and these are respected (I have learned from you!) and in fact I have articles on my site that you have contributed too. Good ones!!!

And here I am, a businessman trying to bring work to the USA from overseas.

My company sponsors events (Monster Planes) and sponsor pilots and does sends products out to clubs as prizes all over the USA. Hey guys... what do YOU do for your customer (s). I haven't heard anything. My company gives back to this sport..

The engines that we will bring in will be judged on their merits. As an engineer, I will ensure that happens or I won't sell them. I have made that statement a number of times. How we test them is immaterial. That is our job and our expense and that is competitive data that remains with us until we deem it right to publish. And yes.. I do have access to a dyno... The customers and reviewers will quickly outline the capabilities to the public. The engines will be judged on their merits.

The videos we have are a perfect platform to showcase and highlight the products, and to give customers the opportunity of seeing how they will perform. You mentioned light airframes... We have all sorts of video on the site. [link=http://www.rcaer.com/pages/RC_Air_Videos.cfm]RC Aero Flight Videos[/link], that show airframes of different sizes and weights. You fella' must be watching the wrong ones obviously.. Are you really telling me that the EMS LA- video [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/PAA2FLY#p/a/u/1/WTkXHLylC-M]ESM LA-7 20 pound warplane video on JC 28cc[/link] is a fabrication and mistruth? Hmmmmmm.... interesting... since that plane has and is flying at events all over Florida and has been witnessed by many many hundreds of pilots.

I have other videos from Professional reviewers that have NO obligation to me, showing their reviews.

Over and out.
Henry

Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I've gotten good information from all three of you. I hate to see three well respected gentleman fighting.
John
Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Wow
This is great and I love it. LoL

Show me where I abandoned one customer, I have repaired every engine that came back to me at no cost to the customer and even some That I did not sell that came out of other countries,.

The only ones not repaired are the 5 I have here that I took parts from to repair other customers engines

The customers did not even have to pay for return shipping.

The only hard part of repairing them was getting parts. Kevin, Would tell me he was shipping them and in return I would tell customers the parts were on the way and after begging Kevin for months he would ship them.

Now show me in this email where it say’s to get the parts from you (The new exclusive JC engine dealer) that is dated August the 9th of 2010.

Three months later and I still do not have them.

Milton
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Q500RC

Well here we go with the ford and the chevy deal! The best way is to let each person
decide what they want for their airframe period and stop this pissin contest please!!!

I've seen this in other forums and now for some reason it has moved over to this thread!

The folks in this thread are sport flyers for the most part with limited expereince and make
decisions based on simple things like thrust and rpm on a given prop as well as throttle
transition and idle!

What else do we have most of us don't have dyno's! So please lets be real and understand
most of us are just weekend flyers! I have a friend that has one of the few last show teams
AMA sponsored and he has several of Henry's engines he bought from Henry both 56cc's and
112's on there planes. He talks about how engines hold up over the long season of flying!

And btw I understand the whole team likes the YDA's to this point! When i'm talking to
him and he is telling me well we will see how they hold up over the next 3-4 yrs I say you fly
more in one season than most sport pilots will fly in a life time come on now! GEEZZZZ!

if an engine lasts for one single season with you guys its good for life for the rest of us!!! It
is however nice for the rest of us to have someone put the engines through this tough test
of constant flying in the heat day after day! We sport pilots benefit from that kind of testing
for sure even though we will never duplicate it as sport flyers!

Sorry to rattle on but the point is the JC 28 V2 I have runs good and all I hear is good things
from others in here on it and the 56cc and the 112cc's continue to get good reports from folks
both Pro's like the show team and sport pilots.

And for the quality and price so far I can't see how you can possibly beat these engines! So the
only thing left is person behind the sale of the product! And guess what I have seen to this point
I have not meet another person anywhere in this hobby that stands behind their product like Henry!!!

So I suppose the question is now which engine do you want to spend your money on backed by
which dealer??
to buy???
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
clivemc

well I am not even in the USA, but one thing i do know is this.

I have flown with theJC28, MT35 and the DLE30. the JC 28 and MT 35 were even on the very same plane so i can make a direct flying comparison on them. The JC 28 is a great motor, starts and runs really well. Pulled my 25% yak around for 18 months and probably50 litres through it with a menz18x6 @ around 8500rpm(low load prop). That very same Yak is now being pulled around by an MT35, spinning a JXF 19x8 ( higher load prop) at 7250 rpm. sorry but the JC 28 Evo 2 version wouldnt do that. The DLE 30 turns the 19x8 JXF at 7300 so i would guess on the same plane its much on a par powerwise. the JC was sluggish out the hover becuase of the 18x6 prop. the MT jumps out the hover simply becuase the 19x8 pulls the airframe better

What counts is how it flys for YOU!

Nothing wrong with the 28, but it just wont beat a DLE or MT for outright power

unless of course i just couldnt set the jc up as well as the DLE / MT

there is an engine out there for everyone and each application, just do the reading and dont be sold whatever is put in front of you.......

prop vs RPM comparisons are there for us becuase its simple.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

+1 to Q500RC I believe you hit it on the head. Most people that fly are just sport flyers. Henry has people fly his engines that fly more then the average Joe. This really can show the durability of an engine.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
plane addicts

You need to compare apple to apples. I would not expect to see the same rpm or thrust ranges with a 22x8 vs. a 19x8. There would be a huge difference in the performance of any engine between the two diffrent sizes of prop.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM
clivemc

yep, sorry that was a typo, trying to do too many things at once- post edited............

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

You need to compare apple to apples. I would not expect to see the same rpm or thrust ranges with a 22x8 vs. a 19x8. There would be a huge difference in the performance of any engine between the two diffrent sizes of prop.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:41 PM
plane addicts

Clivemc That is much better lol. From the specs you gave on your engine it seems to be that if you had installed the other prop you would have gotten close if not better results. It is always had to just jumping from prop to prop and what the exact rpm drop or gain would be. However throwing a 18x6 at 8,500 RPMs is very respectable in my opinion. If you installed the other prop I believe that the motor would still be producing a health RPM level.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
G.Barber

There is plenty of room in the market for all parties to co-exist without bashing the competition. Does it really matter that you used to sell the JC engines? Not really.

What is important is the fact that Henry (RC Aero products) is the dealer/distributor for the JC engine line, and he and his company are taking care of the warranty concerns on the engines and his customers. From what I have read in this thread, Henry is going beyond the call of duty to help others out with engines not purchased through him- now that is great customer service!

I completely agree with Q500RC. Most of us (including myself) don't care how the engine is tested (regarding your Dyno comment). What I do care about (and most everyone else too) is a quality product that has been tested to provide a quality product at a reasonable price that will last a long time.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Henry,

All this puts me in a mood to support someone who's done good things for the hobby. You got any 23's in stock yet? I need 2.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
CannonFodder
My Feedback: (23)

Hey BadAzzMaxx,

Can I ask what's your companies name?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Now I have posted a lot about JC engines and the way he does business, Not supporting his products.

My site is www.rcextremepower.com

Milton
Old 10-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Q500RC

BadAzzMaxx I don't know you and have never had any experience with you or your
service. It is however easy to see there is a bit of tension between yourself and
Henry! I hope and wish you the best in your business.

I also have a small business and understand how important customer service is. Thats
one of the wonderful things about the free market! People will tend to go where they
receive a good product at a good price and receive the best possible service for their
investment.

The R/C hobby is no different! In the end you and Henry will be known for your fine products
and good service and pricing or the lack of quality products and service which ever ends up
being your trade mark!

But believe me when I say people will know before long which is the case and we do tell
other folks of our experiences good and bad in the forum here most just to help others to
know what we had to deal with to make life easier for each one of us.

Now in yours and Antiques case I'd say you in a loosing battle in this forum because most
of the people in here have had a good experience with Henry and Steve and the YDA/JC
products from RC Aero!

Therefore IMO all this serves any purpose for is to cause peoples BP to go up 50 points
or so when we read these kind of posts. And I for one don't come here for that purpose
so I would prefer to enjoy my time in here interacting with the other r/cers with postive
feedback! I tend to believe most others feel the same way! So please be positive and
join us or just move which ever you prefer.

Oh yes and one last thing. I don't know where the 60cc came from but is seems the
suggestion is that Kevin at JC came up with it? I'm not at all sure on this engine but
I feel like Steve and Henry came up with all of the new YDA line of engines from the 23cc,
28cc, 32cc, 38cc, 42cc, 56cc, 76cc twin, 85cc single and last but surely not least the 112cc
twin. On the 60cc I would be glad to hear the story on it if Henry would like to tell it. It was
not one I was interested in at this time so I guess I haven't paid close enough attention to it!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Q500RC
Therefore IMO all this serves any purpose for is to cause peoples BP to go up 50 points
or so when we read these kind of posts. And I for one don't come here for that purpose
so I would prefer to enjoy my time in here interacting with the other r/cers with postive
feedback! I tend to believe most others feel the same way! So please be positive and
join us or just move which ever you prefer.
Guys,

I haven't been very active in this blog (or others for that matter) for a long time but I echo the above.

We all come here for the reason, our passion and love for the hobby. The world is big enough for all of us to coexist and get on.
Let's all set aside unfortunate comments made in the heat of the moment and get on with having fun!
Milton, Ralph and Henry (and many others) are all standup guys who have deep engine knowledge and all have one thing in common - they have all looked after their customers in the past and continue to do so!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.