Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight__88"__Edge 540T__Build

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight__88"__Edge 540T__Build

Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight__88

ORIGINAL: T Erickson

I wanna see you do that with the new extra.......
I assume you are talking about the 104" Extra. Yes i'm looking forward to flying that plane. I bet it will do some awesome pop tops.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

I assume you are talking about the 104'' Extra. Yes i'm looking forward to flying that plane. I bet it will do some awesome pop tops.
He's talking about my 125" Extra
Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
cjcyclesrc

That's what usually happens when you assume something.

Be sure to shoot some video when you get them figured out with it.

ORIGINAL: camss69

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

I assume you are talking about the 104'' Extra. Yes i'm looking forward to flying that plane. I bet it will do some awesome pop tops.
He's talking about my 125'' Extra
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

EF sent me an email on Friday. My Edge shiped that day. Checking with UPS today....it will be here on Friday. That is just awesome. Hopefully, everything will work out and I'll receive it with no damage.

Really looking forward to the build. It'll be fun.
Thnaks
Barry
Old 10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

sweet, keep us posted
Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
cjcyclesrc

I've put 2 gallons through the edge in the last 4 afternoons getting ready for a Freestyle Competition. We were out practicing last night until it was so dark I could just see the outline of the plane. I like this plane even more as I get more time on it. The 50 w/ ES pipe is a great match for the plane. I've got a required inverted 45 Deg upline negative snap and a half in my routine and It's got plenty of power to pull though it. I tached it last week right after a flight so the motor was up to operating temp. It's turning a Solid 7400rpms with the 23B. I measured the Temp on the Head just after shutting it down and it was 180F which is perfect in my book. The plug is a nice light brown color. I've been doing some field testing with the new Iridium Plugs from RcExl. [link=http://www.shop.kavarootusa.com/product.sc?productId=21](Link to the Plug)[/link] Richard @ WrongWayRC sent me one to try out. I'm impressed with the plugs. Visually the Quality looks to be better than the NGK CM-6. I tached the motor before and after installing the plug and there wasn't any difference I could tell in Max RPM, but you could tell a difference in the smoothness as lower rpms. Two of my friends were there with me when I switched to the Iridium plug and both of them also thought they could tell a little difference in how the motor sounded a lower rpms. I know from growing up building performance 2 strokes in my dad's motorcycle shop plugs can make a difference. Were going to switch a few more motors to the Iridium plugs and see if we see the same result. RcExl has come out with some nice products recently. I've been running the optic ignition kill and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93781.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1511371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93430.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1511372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68099.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1511373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87360.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1511374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58174.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1511375  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Barry Cazier

I received my Edge....on Friday.
But I was out of town and haven't yet seen it.
I'm told the boxes are all in good shape and everything looks OK.
Can't wait to see it. Should be able to inspect today.
Thanks
Barry
Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 PM
gjmjoe017
My Feedback: (1)

I found ES Pipes.Where can I get a header pipe for a DLE 55?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:57 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: gjmjoe017

I found ES Pipes.Where can I get a header pipe for a DLE 55?
i think its the same as the da50, i know my buddy used a da stock muffler on his cause he already had it cut down to fit, didnt want to cut his new one, anyway as far as i know just bolted right on, same pattern and stuff
Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 PM
victorzamora

Yup, DLE was smart about doing that.  I'm not sure why the DA60 doesn't have the same bolt pattern.  Too restrictive maybe?  Maybe just trying to sell more mufflers.  Either way, the DLE-55 uses the same exhaust manifold.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Barry Cazier

Opened up the Edge package last night.
Very nice looking. This time it came with wheels....(Yak did not) and they are the ones with the aluminum hubs....nice. Everything looks great. Mine is the Red/White/Blue version and it is attractive.
The landing gear appears much shorter than the Yak and much stiffer. The servo holes and the holes for the horns are already cut out. I don't think that was true for my other planes but can't say for sure.
This one has a pilot and a floor for the canopy and a dashboard...but I don't think I'll use any of that.
The canopy appears to be heavier material than the Yak. Probably a little more durable.
The overall quality seems excellent.
There was also a paper inside the fuse which details the incidence measurements and certifies them. Nice. Should mean this one will fly very straight.
Overall I'm very impressed.

Some things I'd like to see.......others are doing this.
Glued hinges.
Fuel tank installed.
Firewall drilled for DLE/DA/RL because I'm sure 90% of the engines are these. Others can modify as necessary.
Rudder cables installed.
Horns installed.
A cowl with a ring for mounting, all ready to go. Very unsightly to see the screws and they always wear out and make gastly holes.

The above would complete this baby as the perfect ARF... As it is, it's nice but has room for improvement.

Also would like to see a flat rate shipping charge. This baby is expensive to ship......4 times what it takes to get a similar plane to my door. Or maybe even 100% if you use Tower Hobbies.

Anyways....on to the build.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Barry, glad to hear that the Edge arrived in good shape. Thanks for your feedback, we will certainly take these things into consideration. On some of our larger aircraft we do use a cowl ring but we forgo this on the 50cc size aircraft due to weight. A plywood cowl ring that is sufficiently glued and glassed into place adds 6 ounces to the weight of the cowl. That is getting close to adding a half a pound of unnecessary weight to a 50cc airframe, I just can't do that!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Forgot to mention the shipping rate-I wish the carriers would offer us a flat rate! We charge exactly what we are charged by the carrier, not one penny more. We never charge any bogus handling fees and we pass along any volume discount we receive from the carrier. We are happy to supply the weight and dimensions of each box so you can get an online quote from the carrier. You will find that we charge considerably less than what is quoted by the carrier. There is no way we can compete with a huge entity like Tower Hobbies! They have hundreds of employees and ship thousands of packages a day. Their shipping discount from the carriers are enormous I'm sure. We are a small family run business with 4 employees (my wife and myself included) that ships an average of 50 packages a day. We haven't raised tthe price on our 50cc aircraft since we began selling them in 2004 even though our cost has gone up over 35%. We can't afford to take a hit on the shipping.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

One to many harrier landings last Saturday, and needed a landing gear and tail wheel for my Yak 88. Order it from EF on Monday, got it on Wednesday... Flying tomorrow!

You can't beat that with a stick!

Thanks EF and hopefully see you in Perry.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM
diamondave

barry it is shorter(height) than the yak, has a nice sleak look sitting next to one, the holes for the servos are new to this one i think, the wheels are nice however i did notice mine would flatspot just sitting for a work week, they did kinda un flatspot once you rolled it around a while, but it was noticable at 1st, so i put a small piece of wood inside the tire so the gear sits on it, takes the weight off the tire, works great, only do it for the week between flying, i didnt get a pilot or dash.....anyway i agree, i didnt think ef planes could get any better and they are proving me wrong with each new plane i order
Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 PM
diamondave

here is my solution to the wheels flatspoting, did it to my yak too even though those sullivans dont usually get a flat spot, easy fix though

Name:	Vt58619.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1517224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75393.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1517225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91253.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1517226  
Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 AM
diamondave

yeh barry id agree on having hinges done would be freakin awesome, hinged and gaps sealed, to me that is one of the most time consuming, pain in the ***** parts of building, and usually the part where i make a mess on my new plane, either expoy run off, spill, or mostly what happens is i leave sticky fingerprinnts on it somewhere[:'(]....so the wings and elevators done would be awesome, not sure if they can do the rudder cause of packaging, i think thats wraped up seperatley, but maybe they could have half glued in to the rudder at least and include a small strip of covering of what ever the base color is for sealing, then we'd only have to glue that on to the plane and all surfaces are done, man a guy can dream cant he...the other stuff like fuel tank and firewall isnt as much of a problem for me at least, maybe pre-drilled cowl would be nice but even that i can live with, chris if you guys ever do consider a quicker build(we'll think of a better name thats not affiliated with crap) set up just doing them darn hinges would make a world of difference
Old 10-17-2010, 01:47 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go for the hinging as long as it was done well. Sealing hinges too. I'd want them to deflect 55 degrees, no binding.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM
2lo
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: frieshoo

One to many harrier landings last Saturday, and needed a landing gear and tail wheel for my Yak 88. Order it from EF on Monday, got it on Wednesday... Flying tomorrow!

You can't beat that with a stick!

Thanks EF and hopefully see you in Perry.

Harrier landing are sweet, just haven't done with this yet, the new hasn't wore off

Name:	Bz77177.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1519752  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 AM
diamondave

check it out y'all, found a cool tail wheel that matches the covering....looks like my high dollar spinner, and i love these direct drive set ups

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/TLT%20Av...ail%20Gear.htm

Name:	Lj22496.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1522808