Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Battery question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery question?

Has anyone had any (good or bad) experiences with using 1 battery for both reciever and ignition power. There's a guy at our field running a single battery with one deans connector going to his reciever and a JR connecter going to his ignition. It's on a 30cc size plane running a DLE30 for power. He is using a 2.4 radio system. I thought this would be a good setup for this size plane, but still a little nervious about tying the the two systems together. Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Battery question?

Seen it and flown it with no problems.

I've never done it on my own planes though.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have done this many many times, it is now my standard setup. I have not used a separate ignition battery in 2 years.

TF
Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 PM
rcplanenut

Thanks Tom
I am going to try that set up in the Yak 55 I just ordered from you.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I still don't do it. Have no plans to anytime soon. Bad practice IMO.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: rcplanenut

Thanks Tom
I am going to try that set up in the Yak 55 I just ordered from you.
Just be sure to do a good range check with the engine running.

TF
Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM
hanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad, Bad, Bad, stupid idea. whats the sense? I see absolutly no advantage to that. That must mean your still using 4.8 nicads or NMH's. or putting a reg in line with ignition, another silly idea
Old 10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
House2twist

Not worth it in my opinion. If your battery fails (which can happen), you lose everything. If you run seperate packs, and your ignition pack fails you can still land.

I also run 2 packs which you could do on a 30CC w/o worrying about weight. I would run 3 1100 A123's. 2 r/x and 1 ignition. boom done easy finished
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM
rcplanenut

ORIGINAL: hanko

Bad, Bad, Bad, stupid idea. whats the sense? I see absolutly no advantage to that. That must mean your still using 4.8 nicads or NMH's. or putting a reg in line with ignition, another silly idea
Why do you see this as a bad idea, have you tried it? I can think of a couple of advantages like a simple set up, lighter and only 1 battery to charge. This is a small plane so I don't see the need for redundancy.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have one season's experience using this setup. An IBEF system with a single 2 amp., 5-cell battery feeding the ignition and the radio. It's a 65 inch warbird arf with a 20 cc gasser. Every flight I recharge with a quality fast-field charger. A typical 10 minute flight uses 200 ma from the battery. Will incorporate this setup on all my 10 pound or less gassers. Larger planes get a dual battery setup.

This is done in the interests of saving weight, not costs or the avoidance of complexity. Try it if you want to...I like it for several reasons. I would hesitate to take the advice of anyone without first-hand experience. It's a good system but I recommend close scrutiny.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
House2twist

Why do you see this as a bad idea, have you tried it? I can think of a couple of advantages like a simple set up, lighter and only 1 battery to charge. This is a small plane so I don't see the need for redundancy.
Just because it is a smaller plane doesn't mean there isn't a need for redundancy.

To be on the even safer side, you could run a seperate ignition pack and receiver pack. The weight difference would be negligible and the complexity wouldn't change.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 PM
rcplanenut

ORIGINAL: House2twist

Just because it is a smaller plane doesn't mean there isn't a need for redundancy.

To be on the even safer side, you could run a seperate ignition pack and receiver pack. The weight difference would be negligible and the complexity wouldn't change.

Does this mean we should start using 2 batteries in 40 size trainers? Where do you draw the line? I use 2 batteries when I need the capacity along with the redundancy(for comfort, not need). In a larger plane the weight difference is negligible, but in these new 30cc planes I believe the weight will make a difference. You are entitled to your opinion, but I started this thread to try to get real life experiences(good and/or bad). I already knew there will be people that will never try this setup because they are afraid to try something new.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Radicalrc.com has 2.6oz nicad packs. Why not use it for ur ignite module? The "extra" weight can be trimmed from somewhere else, such as Using CF parts?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Lifer

It seems that the Nay sayers have never used this system, and those who say Yea have used them and liked it.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM
rcplanenut

ORIGINAL: Lifer

It seems that the Nay sayers have never used this system, and those who say Yea have used them and liked it.
That seems to be the trend here doesn't it. So, i guess I will go with the set-up since no one has any bad experiences with it.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM
hanko

Does this mean we should start using 2 batteries in 40 size trainers? Where do you draw the line? I use 2 batteries when I need the capacity along with the redundancy(for comfort, not need). In a larger plane the weight difference is negligible, but in these new 30cc planes I believe the weight will make a difference. You are entitled to your opinion, but I started this thread to try to get real life experiences(good and/or bad). I already knew there will be people that will never try this setup because they are afraid to try something new.

First, 40 size trainers dont have gas engines with a need for a battery. No i have never done it, as I have never stood on the railroad tracks in front of a train. With as much money we have invested why take a chance. I just doesnt make any sense. were talking a what, $40 dollar 4..8 volt Nmh 4 cell battery and a $20 dollar switch. I run dual recievers, dual switches, and dual batteries on my gas planes, plus a seperate ignition switch and battery. Give me a legitimate reason for that set up. Its all a personal choice as to set up, so if you want to do it, have fun.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Lifer

rcplanenut,

You'll like the setup. As I said earlier, monitor the battery usage and there'll be no issues.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM
House2twist

Only being a "nay sayer" because i've seen the system fail, and it's not pretty. For the little extra money and weight penatly, which i HIGHLY doubt the average flyer would notice, i think it's worth the piece of mind.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Lifer

I have had batteries fail, receivers, fuel systems, etc. My point is that if you have first-hand experience, voice an opinion (As you and I have had). If not, it is only an opinion without basis in fact.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 PM
rcplanenut

Only being a ''nay sayer'' because i've seen the system fail, and it's not pretty. For the little extra money and weight penatly, which i HIGHLY doubt the average flyer would notice, i think it's worth the piece of mind.

Can you tell me what failed? Where you using 2.4 or 72MGz? What type of battery were you using? Were you using this exact set-up or have you just had a battery fail in the past?