Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what is the best RC transmiter out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what is the best RC transmiter out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:29 AM
lv2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is the best RC transmiter out there?

ORIGINAL: Beavis

The JR/Spektrum detractors (who are really the only ones being over sensitive on this thread, by the way) forgot to mention that DSM technology is patent-protected, whereas frequency hopping has been around for decades - i.e., it’s a much older technology - and is in the public domain. This is why only JR/Spektrum can offer DSM; the others simply don’t have that option... The JR/Spektrum platform also happens to be the market leader in 2.4GHz by a very long margin.

Like most advanced radio systems, DSM is indeed more sensitive to power supply than the simpler hopping systems. Just be smart and careful when you power up your receiver and you will be worry-free, with additional safety features such as ModelMatch, which only JR/Spektrum can offer, among many other perks, exclusive and otherwise. I am among the ever increasing number of modelers using A123 batteries for all my onboard systems in internal combustion models. It is clearly the type of power to have nowadays.
Actually, DSM is NOT patent-protected. Its not even a technology type. Its Spektrum's "branding" for an old technology DSSS (Direct-Sequence Spread Spectrum Technology), and they are NOT the only company using it. I can not say for certain what the invention date of DSSS vs FHSS technologies, but I have read how they differ and it would appear to me DSSS is a more "basic" (probably older) technology that is a step backward from FHSS.

There was actually just a big article in the NRHSA magazine (National Retail Hobby Stores Association) about the gray market products coming out of China. One product in particular that is gaining a lot of attention is the Spektrum clone receivers. Horizon was very particular in their choice of words when warning they would be going after retailers offering these products for "copyright infringement." Copyright is not a patent. Copyright is saying the item LOOKS the same. The logo is the same. Or it is designed to look in a way to decieve the customer that they are getting the actual product. The article actually specifically addressed the patent issue, that technology is advancing so fast, companies are not able to go through the lengthy (2-3 year) patent process. Just because a company makes a product and advertises it as "compatiable with brand xxx" does not violate copyright issues. Just ask IBM. Just about every computer sitting in every house in america (besides apple) is a product of what started out as "IBM Compatiable." IBM lost that court battle in the 80's.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Futaba 10C on 72Mhz !!!

I'm so glad i saved my money for months,
but finally i bought it !!!

Check also my gallery !

Old 10-16-2010, 06:49 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a lot to be said about high end radios.
I bought a JR 10X years ago. Stone expense but boy, what a machine.
Didn't have that many extra bells and whistles over other cheaper set but the construction quality is something else.
When you pick one up, hold it in your hand you'll instantly know this is built using materials far superior to the cheaper sets.

If I was to by a new tranny today, I'd go for a European style flat tray transmitter. German of course.
There is just something about those that is again quite marvelous, the way you can position switches, allocate free mixes etc.
Fantastic. I'm a finger/thumb flyer of course.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I've heard good things about the Airtronics SD-10.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a JR man since I started this hobby a while ago. I got the Hitec A9 for my birthday in May. As soon as I can afford more receivers, I intend to sell my JR transmitters. They have been very good to me and reliable but its time to move on.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM
kochj

Futaba needed to put some time into Telemitry.. instead of the S-bus or Short bus Flop.....

When they come out with a Telemitry upgrade or built into there 14channel....I'm buying...

The easiest and probly the most versitle is to pick up a Ealgletree telem....
and get the 14mz today
Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 AM
TimBle

i like the idea of telemetry but its flawed in current implementation.Two planes with telemetry lost this week. Both cases due to the pilot looking down at the transmitter screen...I'll wait for HUD. Then it makes sense.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with TimBle....But I will wait till I don't have to look at my transmitter.
Heads-up-display...well maybe??? But a nice female voice telling me to "wake-up" would be better.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Himat

Five pages of mostly Futaba vs. JR/Spectrum with Hitec and Airtronics (Sanwa) as the semi finalists.

One person noted: Get to the LHS and get a feel of the transmitter. An important point. There are bells and whistles, but get one that is comfortableto hold withgood sticks.

I do still use a20 year old Multiplex transmitter bought attheclub swap meet.The sticks are just wonderful!
(I have newer transmitters too, both all digital Multiplex units.)
Old 10-16-2010, 07:17 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

WoW... Lots great info and tech data here. I think the op might of over dosed on all the data though. I too was thinking of dipping my toe into the 2.4 world as well and came across this thread. I only have been flying since 2002 and have owned a Futaba 9cap since day one and it has done everything I could ask for from V tails and foamys to 1/4 scale gassers PCM or PPM. While a lot of flyers were changing over to 2.4 I was worried about a back up so I picked up a back up 9CAP and a 9CAP Super as well in the fire sales. You could say I didnt want to give up my 72mhz until they pryed it from my cold dead hands.
I wanted to buy a Horizon Park Zone Mustang which is bind and fly or RTF so I thought I might try a middle of the road 2.4 as the bind and fly collection may grow. I too am now perplexed, I now will have to rethink the Spektrum 8dx. Maybe I should just convert the spare 9C Super to the 2.4GHz FASST Module ???? Not to hi-jack the thread but any thoughts on that?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Fs one

I like the spektrumDX7 does everything and more than what i need.I fly bnf,nitro,And giant.If you like choppers you can fly them as well.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:03 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I like the info telemetry can provide, but taking my eyes off of my plane to read a tx screen is nonsense. They simply need a jack for an ear bud, and have *****in' Betty tell you what's up.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:21 PM
RCtoughGuy

i am a big fan of the Tower Hobbies 2.4 GHZ radio set. Good quality for the price. cant be beat!
ORIGINAL: Book79

I was looking to get either the Dx 8i or something just like it, What other transmitter is good to use?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:39 AM
TimBle

Horizon offers the Plug n Play range of parkflyers which allows a non JR/Spektrum flyer to simply fit thier own brand reciever and go fly. The cost difference to BNF is around the cost of a Futaba 6 channel parkflyer reciever. Fitting a FASST module is an option and does not limit the purchase of any PnP options from HobbieCo or Horizon.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

WOW this is a lot of data.... it seems the Hitec A9 has a lot of fans. I had a 10X for years, but it is time to move on. I want to fiddle with an A9 and see how it feels/programs.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM
TimBle

it has lots of fans because it has lots of gadgets.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 PM
northiceman

Hey guys/gals-one dumb question...
I see a LOT of advertisement about airplanes with Spectrum receivers talking about the BNF (Bind & Fly) ability. I have a flock of Futaba 2.4 Ghz xmitters - Question> can we successfully BNF a Futaba radio to a Spectrum receiver? (while we wait for our new DX8 !!)
Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
rcguy59

Nope. With 2.4GHZ we lost the ability to mix RX and TX brands. No one is as yet compatible with anyone else. Don't matter to me, I wouldn't buy anything made by Spektrum anyway. Too many issues.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
alpha401

this is just my opinion but the dx7 20 model memory 2.4 ghz can hold 12 volts and battery last 7 hours has seperate codes for each model is available in mode 1 or two all i need so far try it out
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
northiceman

Thanks for the info.
Been hearing a lot of good about the DX8 - but I am waiting to see what Futaba has in the "dark room" (especially when it is DEVELOPED). This is kinda kool tho.....
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/ME2...26D84E4322840A
Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 PM
wazzbat

I finally bit the bullet and bought my first Tx -  Futaba 7C 2.4GHz.  So obviously now the 7C is the greatest radio one can buy!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

For the cheap micros and T-28 type foamys that are available in the bind and fly from Parkzone I purchased a Spectrum module for my back up Futaba 9 Cap radio. Pluged it in and have been having a ball ever since. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMMSFUT7
I have been enjoying the quick open the box and bind and fly for a few weeks and am spoiled. I would use a Futaba FASST module for my more exspensive planes to 1/4 scale stuff if I was to change out all my gear but at this point I have no reason to change.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
northiceman

Been looking at a LOT of forums and DUUUH ! Futaba is still the Champ = pretty much all in their favor. But as one of you said - what you like is best! I do prefer the Spread Spectrum technology myself and changing frequency every millisecond or so has gotta be safe!
Question for you guru's of methanol fame - I'm looking for a good ARF or RTF that would fit a beefy .60 engine, a plane that will roll well and be on the acrobatic side. What do you think about the P-51, or any ideas would be welcome.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
rcguy59

Better start a NEW thread for that one...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 PM
northiceman

Oops-sorry - didn't know I was in with Benny&The Jets !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.