Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass Cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fiberglass Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Vendata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Cowl

Hello guys, can any body send me a web site of a company in the USA that make fiberglass cowls for all different tpyes of models. I am looking for a Fiberglass Cowl to fit my Carl Goldberg Extra 300 wing span 69 inches can any one help? Thanks.
Dave.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fiberglass Cowl

Here you go

http://fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm
Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Vendata

Thanks for that.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

www.fibertechnmore.com

This used to be Stan's Fiber Tech. The new owners are located in Illinois and are dedicated to getting the business back to one of the better sources for fiberglass parts. Give them a call and if they don't have what you need they will bend over backwards to try and help you if they can.

Ken
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ken, I hope they get it up and going again, I used to use Stans pretty often, I used them both though and the last CG Extra I built I got my canopy, cowl, LG and wheel pants from FGS, at the time I wasn't able to get in contact with FT by phone to talk with them. The one part I wish one of these companies would make up is the plastic cockpit. I make a copy of mine out of wood but the plastic one looks great after painting.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a cowl and wheel pants from Fibertech N More. They are good quality.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Vendata

Hey guys I have sent those guys a email regarding a cowl but have had no reply to it. Will send the same email again to them & see if they reply??
Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I have been talking the Rick and Brenda at Fibertech-n-more for a few days now. They both have some family health issues they have been dealing with. They should get back to you soon. You could also call them, the number is on their website.

Ken
Old 10-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Vendata

Thanks RC Ken, I will wait a couple more days & see if those guys will emaill me back, ringing them is a huge time delay I would have to probably ring them about 3am New Zealand time to talk to them say about there 8.30 am in the morning. Hopefully they will send me a email once they are well enough.
Thanks so much for letting me know.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 AM
LargeScale88

So is Fibertech N More a good company? I recently bought a cowl from fiberglass specialties, and didn't like it a whole lot. I'm looking for a cowl for the GP extra 300 .60 size. I would love to purchase the cowl and wheel pants from Fibertech NMore, but i've never heard of them, and don't know if there products are any good. Anyone know how many layers of cloth they use?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2010, 12:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Fibertech-n-more used to be Stan's Fibertech. Stan sold to a gentlemen in California who then sold to Rick and Brenda in Illinois. They have all of Stan's molds as well as molds they are developing on their own. I've seen their product and it's good quality. Sorry that I can't tell you how many layers of cloth they use. I'm going to send them a link to this thread and see if I can get them to come here and answer your questions directly.

Ken
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

So is Fibertech N More a good company? I recently bought a cowl from fiberglass specialties, and didn't like it a whole lot. I'm looking for a cowl for the GP extra 300 .60 size. I would love to purchase the cowl and wheel pants from Fibertech N More, but i've never heard of them, and don't know if there products are any good. Anyone know how many layers of cloth they use?

Thanks
What is it you didn't like?? Over the years I have used either or, when Stan owned FT. I have never found either one better then the other but FGS usually had a better selection of canopys and if one place didn't have the glass parts I needed then the other one did. If you had a pin hole problem that happens when you work with glass and can happen from lay up to lay up.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 PM
LargeScale88

The cowl just didn't seem to have the shape that the crappy plastic stock on did. It also didn't fit. I put the plastic one together, it fit fine, but then the fiberglass one didn't fit worth crap. Hopefully fibertech n more will be better.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Gray Beard

The cowl just didn't seem to have the shape that the crappy plastic stock on did. It also didn't fit. I put the plastic one together, it fit fine, but then the fiberglass one didn't fit worth crap. Hopefully fibertech n more will be better.
That would do it every time. I can't remember the items I ordered from Stan but I was happy with them. Should be a lot of the same plugs used today as when Stan was still running FT.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 AM
LargeScale88

So, should I take a chance and order the cowl and pants from FiberTech N More? I don't like the epoxy resin as much either. I'm so used to working with polyester resin and glass. It seems like epoxy crackes really easy if you don't use a dremel to drill holes or cut slots ect.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We can't make up your mind for you.

Fiberglass Specialties has been selling excellent products for years.

The Fiberglass 'N' More products look good. They have less wall thikness than FS.

Both are epoxy glass.

My experience is contrary to yours. I have good luck with epoxy glass items, and poor luck with polyester glass items.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Gray Beard

So, should I take a chance and order the cowl and pants from FiberTech N More? I don't like the epoxy resin as much either. I'm so used to working with polyester resin and glass. It seems like epoxy crackes really easy if you don't use a dremel to drill holes or cut slots ect.
And that's how most people cut and drill glass products. A roto tool is one of those tools that most builders have in there shop. I have the dremel and a dental hand piece, they both get used a lot and not just on glass. If you try using drill bits you are going to have problems. A glass cowl mounted correctly isn't going to crack from normal use. I usually get stress cracks from removing and putting them back on a plane, my bad, not the glassfault!!!
You mentioned you didn't like FGS, if your unhappy with one company then try someone else, kinda one of those no brainers.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 PM
logliving

www.fibertechnmore.com

Hello Guys. This is Rick owner of Fibertech N More. This is my first time on this blog so hope this info gets were it needs to be. I hope in short I can answered a few questions that Is out there. Brenda ( Wife ) and I purchased company a year ago from a guy named Brad and he called company Aero Glass and he had purchased from Stan. I have been in the RC world for over 20 years and when I saw the company was for sale I couldn't resist. Brad had it as mostly making fiberglass parts. Since we have had the buisness we have added Vacuum forming, and Aluminum landing gear. In the near future we are adding Kits (yes kits). Like myself I believe there is a lot of you out there that enjoy building. I have a A-10 Wart Hog that will be out there soon. Then a Staudacher and behind that a Sea Fury. Our company will also be doing CNC foam cutting. Fibertech N More goals are a company that hopes to be able to satisfy our customers needs and a one stop shop if you will. At present we are doing this part time but hope to turn it into a full time business. I am a Mechanical and Electrical design Eng. and my wife is a office Manager for Collision repair center. We plan on doing more advertising this next year and get the company name out there. We will do our best to take care of calls and emails as soon as possible.

I want to mention that we are not trying to be in competition with Fiberglass Specialties. We met them in Toledo this year and there good people. They have there way of making parts and I have mine. You will be able to get items from them that we don't offer and we will have items they don't offer.

Fibertech N More is in the RC world to stay (that is with your help). You will be seeing more of our product out there in the future so give us a try and see what you think.

Like I mentioned before I have a great passion for the RC world and take great pride in what we do. Each part is made like I was doing it for my own plane.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a suggestion for your web site. Please lighten up the background. It is very hard to see on my laptop. Very poor contrast with the pictured items.
Glad to see you in business.
John
Old 10-24-2010, 01:49 PM
LargeScale88

Hey Rick, I shot you an email about the Great Planes Extra 300 .60 size cowl and wheel pants. As I stated before, I had problems with the fiberglass specialties cowl and pants. How many layers do you use? Epoxy resin?

Thanks, looks like I may be purchasing a cowl and pants from you soon.