Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Revell Proto Max/charging lipo

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Revell Proto Max/charging lipo

Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revell Proto Max/charging lipo

Hi Folks,
I just got a Revell Proto Max. Its a decent heli. I have one question though. When charging one of the lipos, the charge indicator light starts flashing. Anyone know what that means? The instructions just say, it should be solid green when charging and goes out when finished charging.
Thats one feature I don't like about it. You have to charge the lipo using the TX.
Thanks!
Joe
Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM
flashesbuck

Default RE: Revell Proto Max/charging lipo

mine stays solid when charging then flashes when done charging, maybe you have have a bad cell?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM
DustOffUH1

Its weird. Both batteries charge, and work fine. I wonder if they might be different somehow?? The instructions say the green light is solid when charging and supposed to go out when charged. One battery the green light goes out, the other battery the light flashes when charged. I'm going to email Revell and ask them about it. I've been meaning to do that anyway,, just busy at work. Speaking of work,, back to it!
Thanks!
Joe
Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM
GROTHNAGLE

Mine is doing the same thing, the extra battery I purchased is just flashing away, and never seems to stop whereas the original battery lights up solid green and goes out? . I burned up half the power in the TX, and it never went out. Finally I pluggied the flasher into the heli and it started right up. What isthe point if the dang thing takes a whole set of battries to charge one time? P.S. Can you charge a battry while flying with the tx at the same time?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 PM
DustOffUH1

I "think" the extra batteries are just different (why,, I don't know). The light is solid when charging and then flashes when charged. I still haven't emailed or called Revell yet. Just been really busy at work and I don't have high speed internet at home. Plus I'm also working on installing a new ESC in my T-Rex.
But like I said before, I don't like having to use the Tx to charge the lipo's. I wish you could charge them with a charger. It eats up the batteries in the Tx
Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 PM
GROTHNAGLE

Yeah, I have been using lithium ion rechargeable batteries, and they seem to be all right, but they never seem to give the TX full bars, but they do recharge enough while flying that the wait after flying is only 25-30 minutes. This gives the heli motor time to cool as well as the next battery before the next flight. But I think the thing is pretty agile for a little heli, not to mention that it doesn't seem to mind an occasional crash. Flying indoors requires the beginner mode, as my ceiling is not that high, but outside on advanced it really moves! Thanks for your input.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:40 PM
DustOffUH1

Well, I just emailed Revell, actually Hobbico: [email protected]. I went to the Revell website and thats the email address listed for RC support. We'll see what they say.
Yes, it is an agile little heli! I haven't had it outside yet. Whenever I've had time to fly it, it was either to dark out, or too windy. But looking forward to flying it outside sometime soon.

Joe

Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM
DustOffUH1

They replied back. At the bottom of the email it says you may not copy any or all of their reply and post it to a forum. In any case, they basically said they have seen this behavior in some batteries and the flashing light means the battery is fully charged.
They also said if for some reason the battery is not woking properly to reply back with a copy of the receipt and they will send a new one. But mine seems to be working fine. So my question has been answered

Joe
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 PM
GROTHNAGLE

http://www.clubheli.com/Nine-Eagles-...on_p_2269.html

Here is a link to a wall charger for two batteries at a time, (Solo Pro is the same product, rebranded) they also have a new metal head (already broke mine and had to jury rig it with a bit of coathanger.)
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Kgrand
My Feedback: (1)

I have the same problem with my first battery. I just started to take it off the charger once it started to blink. Still had a good flight time, so it must have been close to a full charge. Contact hobby services, they sent me a new battery for free.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:00 PM
GROTHNAGLE

I have had flight times as long as ten minutes indoors! What a great little heli.. Would recommend one to the most die hard nitro fan, can't fly them in the house (too expensive all around!LOL)
Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 PM
GROTHNAGLE

DustoffUH, how do you like your T-rex for durability? I have been flying a cb 180z, which I have upgraded to a flybarless head, and a getting tiredof all of the little glitches that I am encountering. It seems that every time I blink, something small and trivial is grounding me, then I wait for ten days for parts. I looked at your profile, and see your promary bird is a T-rex, and I was wondering how you feel about its durability. How many hours did you have before you felt confident enough to spend some more serious cash on your hobby? Ihave now spent almost $300 on extra blades, tail rotor parts, main gears, batteries, tail servo, =etc. I am a fairly tech savvy person and am thinking of building my first serious heli. What do you recommend? I would kinda to stay with the 4 ch radio for now, (if there is something in the 250 class that is more durable, or should I find a 6 channel package and move the scale up to the next size?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
DustOffUH1

I am by no means an expert. But I do like my T-Rex a lot. I was working on replacing the esc last night, did all of the soldering. Hopefully I'll get it all back together tonight. I built 2 nitro helis before that, but the T-Rex isn't that difficult to build. But look around in the forums and ask someone who is more experienced than me The model they have out now is a lot newer, and I'm sure improved. But like I said I do really like it, its pretty sturdy. But there may be something better out there, so ask around.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Proto-Max is very flakey, in my opinion it's junk. Not that it's poorly made, but it never returns to the same settings twice, needs constant re-trimming, and then sometimes you run out of trim. It has some fundemental design problems as well: If you yaw right, it goes into fast forward flight, , and conversely, if you yaw left it wants to take off going backwards. Adding forward, or backwards cyclic makes the thing jerky and it fights you. It has a habit of doing a circular wobble as you put it into forward flight to, that comes and goes. Sometimes mine locks up completely on the pitch servo, it goes to one end. I have tried re-setting the sub trim to do this, and you know sometimes that cures it, but there are no instructions on how to do this, I had to go online and download a post to do it.

It really leans hard to the right, which causes most of the flight problems by skewing the tail rotor to the right. This causes the tail rotor to push the nose down as you yaw right, and thus the reason it goes into forward flight....very annoying and hard to control. The same goes for the left yaw, the tail rotor pushed the tail down because it's not staigh up and down due to the whole chopper leaning right.

This is all because the thing is to small to have enough mass to hold itself vertical, and the amount of side thrust from the tail rotor is enough at this small weight and size to make the right lean significant and cause sever yaw stability problems. It's so bad you cannot do a pirouette in place, and yawing becomes a dangerouse proposition in small spaces because the thing gets away from you.

I tried twiting the tail boom so the tail rotor would be perpendicular to the ground in flight, but then it is no longer parallel to the main rotor shaft and causes a wobble in forward flight. It did however reduce the forward and backwards flight response to right and left yaw a bit.

We have had three of these evell Proto-Max Nine Eagles choppers, and they are all the same, so it's not a fluke. I'm amazed nobody here has complained about hard to control these little things get when attempting a yaw, as they are almost uncontrollable if you try to yaw in a hover.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
DustOffUH1

Mine hangs to the right as well. That being said I haven't had near as much difficulty controlling it as it sounds like you're experiencing. I guess I got lucky. Mine is actually fairly stable for the size.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Laxmm

I also got a good one. My Proto Max flew great. I will be buying another one next week. I was careless and damaged the receiver on my first one.
As far as battery charging, my green light never went out. When it started blinking it seemed to be fully charged.
I too dislike charging through my tx. I was charging with my cellpro charger and alligator clips straight on the battery (risky). Will be using spare skid/battery mount rig in the future.