Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Superstar Electric to Glow

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Superstar Electric to Glow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
gatreetop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Superstar Electric to Glow

pic3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19906.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1389849  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
gatreetop

pic4

Name:	Da83324.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1389850  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 PM
gatreetop

pic5

Name:	Us53245.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1389852  
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM
gatreetop

pic6

Name:	Nk27950.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1389853  
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
gatreetop

pic7

Name:	Jh14977.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1389854  
Old 03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
gatreetop

pic7 Hope these help guys

Name:	Zx71237.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1389855  
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
gluemaster

Thanks so much for the pictures. They will come in handy. Do you have any issues with the micro servos? I thought they might be a little too small so I was going to use standard on the R/E/A and a micro on the throttle.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM
gatreetop

Hi Gluemaster
NO I haven't had any problems w/servos. Some of the guys in club said they'd be
to small. They held up w/elect. motor Thats why I went w/OS25, don't know about
larger motor! Been flying her for a year- proofs in the pudding. Besides if you use
standard servos theres not much room,and you have to mod. servo tray. Its
up to you it'd just be a little more work.
Phillip

Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 AM
gluemaster

Mine already had standard size servos in it when I got it but my neighbor wanted them back. I have both standard size and micro servos I could use. If I go with the micros I'll have to redo the servo tray. I guess I'll have to weigh it both ways and see what the difference is. If it's not that much I'll probably use the standard servos. I know I'll have to use a standard servo for the ailerons since they are pretty good size.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
gatreetop

Gluemaster if its set up for standard servos go that way.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 PM
gluemaster

I probably will use standard size servos for now. What size receiver pack are you using? Is it just a standard receiver pack or something of a smaller capacity? If I get time tonight I'll take some pictures and post them later. Thanks again for the info Phillip. Sorry if I've hijacked this thread.
Chris
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
gatreetop

Hi Chris I'm useing standard pack, 4cell 4.8 vlts. and a Futaba 6ch. rx. Yea where'd
ya go dlach!!!!!
Phillip
Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 AM
gluemaster

Thanks Phillip. I go with a standard pack then.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 AM
dlach

ORIGINAL: gatreetop

Hi Chris I'm useing standard pack, 4cell 4.8 vlts. and a Futaba 6ch. rx. Yea where'd
ya go dlach!!!!!
Phillip
Sorry, I haven't been around just got hung up with a lot of work and stuff to do around, the pics were very useful, thank for all those details you sent !! I my A/C also came with standard servos, so i wont be modifying the servo tray either, but I will install a micro servo just for the throttle, the other thing I had pretty clear is that I'm going to change the main landing gear so the plane gets a little higher from the floor so I can use a bigger prop, but I'm definitely leaving it as a tail skid plane, the other thing Iwasnt thinking about was fuel proofing everything, I'm going to look for a wood sealant that can handle fuel and stuff like that, maybe a primer, and fuel proof everything, another thing is the fuel tank, I saw you installed a good sized tank and used the inferior part where the batt used to go, did yoy get any trouble because of the fuel tnk height??? or you didnt becuse the tank is large enough to cover the whole space??

....Thanks again for the info Phillip. Sorry if I've hijacked this thread.
HEY ! hijacking is not a threat in this kinda aviation business, everyone can feel free to post whatever you want in the thread, related to the subject obviously !

Best regards to every one,

Daniel
Old 03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
dlach

ohh one other thing which is not completely related to the post but what the hell...

HAS ANYONE PAINTED A R/C AIRCRAFT ENGINE????? my engine looks kinda sad, because its a little old .. blah blah blah, I want to take some high temp paint, and paint it all, some black and red, or maybe some of the covering colors I'll use, can it be done?? or maybe the engine would overheat? ... overheating would be my only concern but it is not going to be a very thick layer of paint ... and its high temp resistant too.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 AM
gatreetop

Daniel
Tank is 3oz. 31/2" long,2" wide, 11/4 thick. (DU-BRO S-4). I had to trim Ply. where batt.
sat just a little. Use clear or black dope to fuel proof. Don't know about painting motor.
never tried. Make another post on Q/A (painting motor) .
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
gluemaster

dlach, you would probably have to find a fuel proof paint that is also heat resistant. I don't know if engine enamel is fuel proof or not as I never tried to paint a glow engine. As far as fuel proofing I'm going to use some 60 min. epoxy thinned with some denatured alcohol and brush it on. I have used this in the past with good results. If you are going to try to paint the engine do a couple of very thin coats. I think black radiates heat better as I used to be into air-cooled Volkswagens and that is the reason all of the sheet metal was painted black.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
dlach

Hey,

Well actually black has its purpose as a "black body" theory states has something to do with the heat exchange, but, regarding the paint I'm going to use, i thought of using the same stuff they use to paint A/C engines, the piston engines which are air cooled too, and cylinder heads do get pretty warm on those engines, which is the hotter part except from the exhaust, as for fuel proofing everything, I've never really fuel proofed anything just got concerned about that now, maybe oil based varnish could do the trick, I've used it before on wood and metal parts, and if I apply a solid color can help to keep a clean look on the airframe. Aircraft piston engines doesn't use anything different than a polyurethane paint, over a coat of green primer, that last's for about 3000 engine hours, and maybe the important part is that I'm using a high temp resistant, polyurethane paint, which is better too.

I gotta write all down, I'm not going to finish converting the airplane, hahaha all the work is stopped these days, as work has me tied up... but when I finish it I bet I could brag with it

have fun,

Daniel
Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Hey dlach. Demon clean used to be sold in most shops and would bring back the bling if you want to skip the painting. You can also order it via mail. The other thing that seems to work, though I have no personal experience is a product in the grocery store called Dawn Power Dissolver. The fellow that writes the "engine shop" column for AMA says it works great.

If paint is your thing, most good auto parts stores sell rattle can spray paint for engines and even ultra high temp for headers and manifolds.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
dlach

Hey hell,

Good to have you back around on the thread, I saw the Demon Clean and ist now sold by BJ Model Engines, and also checked out the Dawn Power Dissolver, and if ill use Demon i'll need to buy it online have it ship down here to south america, and the dawn power its used on kitchen cleaning's and stuff like that so I could go and look on the super market for something similar to see how it work, obviously I will report the whole process to see how it work, and maybe will have to start a new thread about it. I also remember the use to sell some Armor-All product that cleans the car weels, and left them shiny, I couid go look for that one too, that could help also, I'm very interested as I have a bunch of old engines, around 40 to clean up.

Daniel
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 PM
gluemaster

Well, I'm making a little progress on mine. I got the firewall and the fuel tank compartment fuel-proofed and got the tank mounted. I was going to go the tricycle gear route but decided to keep her a tail dragger and not add the complexity of setting up the nose gear and linkage. Since I'm only using a 15 I need to save weight where I can. I have to install the servos and recover the wing and it should be ready to go. It will probably be a while now. I just got a new plane on Saturday and started working on it tonight. Hopefully I can get some pictures of the Superstar posted.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:21 PM
gluemaster

Wow this thread has been quiet for a long time. I finally got around to doing some more work on mine. I will be using micro servos everywhere except the ailerons and that will have a standard servo. I had to recover the wing since I had to redo the ailerons. I'll try to get some pictures posted soon. If I could have made more progress today I would have tried for a maiden tomorrow. Oh well no sense in rushing it. I'm also keeping it a tail dragger. I was going to try a tricycle gear setup but the weight and complexity would not have outweighed the benefit of easier ground handling.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 AM
gluemaster

Here are a few pictures of the finished wing mounted. I think I'm going to go with Hitec HS 81 servos for the rudder, elevator and ailerons and use an HS 55 for the throttle. The engine is also mounted and the fuel tank plummed. Hopefully I'll get this thing finished soon.

Name:	Rp44083.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1522862  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:40 PM
dlach

very nice work gluemaster, sadly I've been cought up with too much work lately and havent touched any of my planes in the past few months lets hope this holidays I get some time to work and fly again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.