Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*GP Giant Aeromaster $100.00 Off*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*GP Giant Aeromaster $100.00 Off*

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
ROCKY1405
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *GP Giant Aeromaster $100.00 Off*

Yeah, I always empty the tanks on mine before I leave the field and do store them dry over the winter. I installed the black neoprene that came with my P-51 ARF as a clunk line yesterday just to try it and see if it does any better than the Tygon does over the summer. Sounds like it won't do as good. [:@]
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave up on Tygon and use neoprene. Cheap to buy and easy to find. Even comes in higher temp formulations and doesn't care what you run through it.

So you can't see through it? Considering all of its advantages, that minor disadvantage is insignificant. Besides, if you just have to see if there is fuel in the feedline, put a fuel filter in line that has a clear case.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

If your looking to buy Tygon from McMaster here is a link to the same formulation that Dubro sells. http://www.mcmaster.com/#tygon-f-4040-a-tubing/=18qdds
Dubro large is .125" id x .25" od. link http://www.mcmaster.com/#5552k23/=18qgmm
The thing to note is it is rated for gasoline.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Tom in Cincy,

Buddy, I think I owe you a beer. I've got a year-old Giant Aeromaster and when I ran across your note and pictures about the black fuel line, I pulled mine out and it had reformed in about the shape of a question mark with the end pointing up in the air (I store my aircraft nose down, hanging by the tail). I figure about 1/4 tank down it would have fuel-starved. I'm not that concerned with a dead-stick landing, but who knows?

If you ever come thru Kansas City, let me know.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Lifer, glad I could help. There are a lot of guys going to gas powered planes. Silicone fuel line rarely gave problems. I have been flying gas for a little over 2 years now and its different than glow. Its a learning experience and I enjoy sharing this info.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
kochj

For those that are interested in a powerplant for this plane, you should look into this one!.....

Cheif aircraft has the Evolution 45Gx for a killer deal...Awsome engine, awsome price....
It will pull as well as any 50cc gasser out there......

Fly well..

jdog...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you make out with the RCS SV50? Did you ever give that a try int the GA? Interesting that you are now looking to a change to the Evolution 45GX. All these engine swaps start costing $$$.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
kochj

A loss if income has caused me make some changes indeed!.....
THis will change soon, but it has made me aware of a few things.....

I am sure that the moki/RCS/Troy Built Models 50VT or the 45VT would have worked out great.
I had the oportunity to pick up a saito fg220 or 36.... for 550$ but would not be enough for this plane (IMHO)

I had thought about the saito 325 radial...... Too much money, as it was raised way above what I want to pay...

The 450 3-cyl wounds wayyy better to me becasue the cyl's are much bigger that the 5-cyl and give it that much more ruff sounding idle...

The issue with both of these ...... THe Nitro fuel, and the exspence to run them!.....
I just picked up 3- gallons of low nitro fuel and a 10$ bottle of castor oil... and the price was 78$.....!!! WOW!....

I believe that 450 drinks glow fuel at maybe 2-3 ounces a minute! according to Dick pettit.....
Plus all the trouble the glow engines have... Unless you run them on a ignition system..... Yes the on-board glow helps, but still isn't perfect by any means....

I want to go all gas or Battery (450 size helis) if I can.... As I have soooooo little time do work on these planes the way it is.......
( I spent half a day just messing around with a .51 glow engine on a pipe, trying to get it to have no transition issues, and lean
in the mid, and blubbery rich on the top end)...... and it still doesn't run right!....

If I have to pay 2000$ for a engine..... I will pick up a 3w 4-cyl, the DA 200, or the 3M mintor 4-cyl 220......All of these run on gas.....
and If I want to have a radial, I will save up and get a Moki gas..... 5-cyl engine.....

I guess money has a part in it, but more than anything, it is the lack up fuss, and puttsy effort that goes into glow engines in general.......
I still love the glow engines, but we all have to make sacrifices when it comes to either flying or fussing..... I will take flying!

(Yes I did wander a bit)
I will always have a few glow engines, I just won't buy anymore than I currently have... ( I also have nitro buggies, trucks cars ect and it is just too much for me.... frew!)
Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 AM
kochj

I have to say that I have found a great engine for this plane!!!!!

NO FUSS Petro!!!! ( I really am tired of the high maintinece glow engines)

Take a look at this beuit!!!!!!

Has the updated head/ignition and was closout at Chief ..............Get them while you can....This is a wonderfull engine....

This will pull as hard as any of the top quality 50cc gas engines.....
I will be attempting to place a tuned muffler on mine, if I can get it inside the fuse...??/ not sure thoug....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68676.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1191083  
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
do335a

ORIGINAL: kochj

I have to say that I have found a great engine for this plane!!!!!

NO FUSS Petro!!!! ( I really am tired of the high maintinece glow engines)

Take a look at this beuit!!!!!!

Has the updated head/ignition and was closout at Chief ..............Get them while you can....This is a wonderfull engine....

This will pull as hard as any of the top quality 50cc gas engines.....
I will be attempting to place a tuned muffler on mine, if I can get it inside the fuse...??/ not sure thoug....

Yes, gasoline can be a lot more convenient than glow.

Anyway, is this the engine which Chief shows at $400? If so, looks like there is a minor goof with the published specs, where it lists the weight as 165 g / 5.8 oz. Would that not be nice?

It's also interesting that Chief includes shipping to the lower 48 states. However, all reports that I've had with items sent to us in Canada are that they ding the crap out of you with extrememly expensive shipping. Also, reports indicate that they are quite prone to error and frequently charge multiple times for shipping on the same order. If indeed true, those are all good reasons to order from them if you live in the lower 48 but not if elsewhere.

In any case, that engine looks like it should do fine with your GA. For now, my budget says that I stick with the G62. Besides, I stripped the GA down last fall for overhaul and mods over the winter and have not gotten to it yet. So it's not likely that anything will happen before next year's flying season at best - maybe longer now. So there's no point in me picking up another engine just to sit on the shelf. I'm more interested in getting my 33% H9 CAP 232 going first. And I've got an 80cc twin gasser for that. A 45cc engine is much too small.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 PM
kochj

Yes, Canuks have a hard time when shipped from the states....
When I post these finds, I don't expect anyone outside of the states to consider it....
Sounds like you have issues with shipping out in Cunook land.... not CHeif.....
THey have always given me what I ordered, and I was able to add to my order (a H9 battery little thing..) to the canopy
shipment (even though they almost had it out the door)
Yes, the guy I talked too sounded a bit Gruff (but he got the job done) and that is all that matters at times....

I guess I am spoiled here!..... Spoiled ROTTEN!!!
We seem to have almost everything we need here......Too bad, none of it's actually MADE HERE!!!

DOn't you guys in Canada have any major dist. out there??? Like Horrizon and Towers??????

Old 05-04-2009, 07:54 AM
do335a

You've covered lots of issues here which require lots more ground.

Let's take them one at a time.

First, it's shipping and rates from USA to Canada.

It is possible for me to ship a parcel to Alaska or Hawaii for less money than two miles away with Canada Post. For those international and US shipments they have something called a small parcel, which runs up to about 1 pound. With domestic shipping, we get dinged much more for that same item. Since in my business I am constantly shipping throughout Canada and often to the USA, I am accutely aware of the differences.

Shipping an item to Canada from the USA in most cases costs considerably less than shipping that same item to the USA from Canada. That small package thing is an exception.

When I speak of the reports of shipping from chief, I am not talking about an inflated postal charge made by the USPS, I am talking about adding the specific rate multiple times by the shipper and /or a tone of "extras" to make the final rate.

Here is some of my evidence:

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...chief+aircraft

Here's another (post #16):

OMG Called Cheif just now..its my fault for not asking but they charged me $280 to ship it to me plus i got taxes on that too so $320 just for shipping.MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN then I had to pay brokerage and tax on the plane... So all up shipping,tax brokerage $857 never again!!!!

in this topic:

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...ircraft&page=2

There are lots more. You get the idea.

One of the additional problems is using UPS, affectionatley know around here as Useless Parcel Service. Brokerage fees for nothing is the issue. There is no duty on anything for models entering Canada from the USA. Even country of origin is not a factor. We pay only our applicable federal and provincial taxes. So there is no big deal to clear an item. The brokerage is just another way to inflate the cost since it requires nothing other than to collect the taxes. If you go with the Post Office, they charge $5.00 for that.

In any case, shipping and any associated costs must be factored into making purchases which originate outside the country. Of course, these figure into retail prices at shops in Canada too. There is no way around that. However, some individuals attempt to profit on these charges while others don't. So it's the old issue of caveat emptor.

In many cases, when a US source has an item on sale, it's less expensive to bring it in directly. Sometimes it is not, depending on the shipping charge policy of the vendor. Tower fits into that category as well. Was a time when it was practical to purchase there. Now, they slap on a $10.00 shipping fee and an additional $18 charge to send to Canada, regardless of the order size. So call up a $2.00 tailwheel and you get dinged $28 US, which is about $32 Canadian for that one lousy wheel. That is not practical.

When I got the GA from Tower, the shipping was a tad over $40.00 US. Then UPS was involved (Horrors!!). Then there wer taxes. So landed, it was not an inexpesnive project, although the initial price at Tower was about $200.00 US.

That's life in the Colonies.

The only difference between us and a banana republic is that the weather here is too cold to grow the bananas. We need to import those too.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 AM
kochj

wow......do335a..... I had no idea you had it that bad!......
Honestly!....NO joke....
It isn't like Canada is far away for Illinois!..... As you stated, much closer than Hawaii and California!....

It sounds like Chief aircraft has some issues with shipping to out of states for sure!.....

When I read the one about 800$ to ship, I thought "well it was a 120" WS plane" but 800$ ??
And to top it off, without telling the buyer about it???
That is criminal!........ I would be talking with my credit card company about that one and refuse......

It sounds like the only way they will change there ways (shpping out of U.S) is if they don't get paid for there
lack of, well, Careing!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM
kochj

ANyone working on the aeromaster??
I ordered up 2-spare canopys and the wing cabanes....

Do these get bent if you do a flip on the runway??

I didn't want to have that happen and be out of options...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am. I'm rebuilding after a crash a year ago. (and the struts were completely unscathed)
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've dorked mine a couple of times but havn't hurt the struts or the canopy, just broken prop and minor damage to lower wing tips. Wheel pants are taking a bit of a beating.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 AM
flygilmore

I built the kit version a couple years ago....still going strong. I know this is in the ARF forum but its still an Aeromaster. Any way, I did trace all parts so that I could scratch build one if I ever got the urge-but I tell ya, lots of wood in the kit version! Wonderful flying plane with a stock G-62...the only thing that had me aggrevated during the build was how narrow the fuse is-if it had been another 1.5" wide it would have been a pleasure working on the internals.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
kochj

I picked up 2-extra canopies and the iner struts being they are on there way out for parts.......

Yeah, I wish the fuse was wider as welll................would make engines fit better, and
perhaps have room for a canister....
Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 PM
sodbuster 1

anybody have an extra cowl and wheel pants set?
dorked mine the other week deadstick landing into the weeds
Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 PM
kochj

Don't have either.....Extra that is....

Can't you just mixe some epoxy w/microballons and paste it on, sand and respray??

This is more time consuming, but at least you have them...
Old 11-14-2009, 11:22 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: FlyingGreg

I've dorked mine a couple of times but havn't hurt the struts or the canopy, just broken prop and minor damage to lower wing tips. Wheel pants are taking a bit of a beating.

Good to know, I will not pick up the fiberglass N-struts....
If you break them, you probly be out a plane??
Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 PM
kochj

well it looks like this hasn't had a whole lata new posts buch once again, I have been considering a different engine.....
Wow, is it Brett Farve incogneto?? You never know....

I will wait back for a responce from the manufacture, but if I get the engine for the price I would
like, then it is a go... I don't want to say it is a sure thing yet, but I am quite excited about the possibility....
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
y2k6vette

After losing my GA to stripped pushrod threads I have been scouring the wantads for months to find another plane; and I finally did! It's NIB and is on the building table right now. This time I will put the elevator servos in the fuselage tail area and use a pull-pull rudder set-up.

When will Great Planes ever realize that they need to make this plane available again? It's unbelievable that they discontinued it in the first place; and just plain irresponsible not to bring it back.

Here's hoping that more NIB planes become available to those who will actually assemble and fly them.

Steve
Foggy Minded Mountain Man
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
kruzin55

I have a NIB GA for sale that I bought as a spare, but never needed. Still fly the original. Hope my selling the backup plane is not a bad omen $350 shipped.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM
y2k6vette

kruzin55,

Sounds like a fair price for sure....I paid $260.00 for mine but it was a local pickup; and yours include shipping, which has to count for something. Some lucky flyer will be very happy to get a NIB GA.

Glad to hear your original is still flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.