Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

airplane in a tree

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

airplane in a tree

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Airbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: airplane in a tree

Just tell your wife there,s a 100.00 dollar bill you hid in the plane . She will show you how to climb a tree.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:02 PM
dem45133

Hello all, its been a while.

In my Humble Opinion...

One, if your gut, brain, or little voice says its unsafe to climb... then it is. Pay attention to that. Widowmakers don't have to fall all the way to the ground to hurt you and that branch your about to step on may not be as sound as it appears.

Two.... comment on the deer rifle idea put forth... Shooting that high a powered small solid projectile at any angle from the ground up to the plane's branch is not a very good idea.... run the ballistics calc... when you miss the branch's trunk (which you likely will a couple times, remember its sighted for a 100 yards or so, not 75 ft), you might be surprized how high and far that bullet will travel before coming down (through a neighbor's roof some five or six miles away or so... yes it has happened).... slug, or shot capsule is better if your rural. Any projectile is out of the question if your urban. Might be surprized at what a deer slug will do to a solid oak 6x6 in an old barn frame... I was... not sure I could have drilled a bore that pretty. That same beam just plain stopped a 30-06. Went in...never came out. But if you miss, that deer slug will travel a ways too when lobbed like that... something to think about down range.

Three... I think getting a line up there one way or the other is likely your best option... Personally I like the bow idea... I'll remember that. Much more accurate than the fishing rod...at least with my casts anyway. Bit high I think for the fishing rod cast too... maybe.

Four... if your can wait, mother nature may bring it down for you eventally... if you can, wait for a few storms and see.

Best of luck...
Dave

Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Gunnar15

we had 40mph winds today and the plane got blown out only damage was a broken interplane strut and a bent motor shaft
Gunnar
Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It just had to bend the motor shaft?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Gunnar15

well upon further inspection the motor shaft seems to be alright
Old 10-26-2010, 07:53 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

And after some rehab even the prop will fly again!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:50 PM
rstearman
My Feedback: (185)

Next time you could try shooting it down. Check out this video (time 7:48)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLAKnVej9o
Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

A friend of mine has a slingshot that he shoots a pretty big "S" hook out of that is attached to a spool of heavy fishing line, kind of what they use in Bowfishing. As the hook is shot over the limb that is close to the plane, hopefully a smaller limb that is that can be jerked around frantically, the hook falls to the ground on the other side of the limb. A heavy nylon rope is attached to the hook and pulled up and over the limb by the fishing line. Take both ends of the nylon rope and shake the BaJesus out of the limb the plane is resting in. Works most of the time!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: opwan

A friend of mine has a slingshot that he shoots a pretty big ''S'' hook out of that is attached to a spool of heavy fishing line, kind of what they use in Bowfishing. As the hook is shot over the limb that is close to the plane, hopefully a smaller limb that is that can be jerked around frantically, the hook falls to the ground on the other side of the limb. A heavy nylon rope is attached to the hook and pulled up and over the limb by the fishing line. Take both ends of the nylon rope and shake the BaJesus out of the limb the plane is resting in. Works most of the time!
That's what we did a while back. Since I'm a bowhunter the guy that lost the plane to the tree had me shoot an arrow over the plane. The arrow had a fishing line attached to it and then we pulled over a small cord and then pulled over a larger cord and pulled that sucker down. Worked great.