Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lexan Body Stitching

Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexan Body Stitching

Here's what happens when your Slash 4x4 PErear stock tires explode on you and bust out your rear fender wells and does a hard roof landing. Then you go back with thin CA and medium CA ALL the tires again. 3S and higher gearing with stock rubber doesn't work out so well lol.

Then you go in and drill into the body and stitch it back together with zipties, CA, silicone, and heavy duty duct tape.

Time for a new body? Idon't think so....lol

Sure ain't the prettiest but she sure can handle her own!

Only broken parts so far was one of the hinge screws on the rear backed out and broke off the side of the A arm. Replaced with RPM rears.
Beyond that also broke the front splined steel output shaft...it completely broke in half but the aluminum drive shaft splines were all in tact and nothing else!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lexan Body Stitching

Use some shoe goo over the tape to make it more secure

For racing who cares if it looks pretty as long as its functional
Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still looks like a body - why replace it?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:33 PM
crunchNmunch

REDNECKREPAIRS

Gotta luv it.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:30 AM
alexchen86

True that proud to be born and raised in Texas yeeehaw!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 AM
crunchNmunch

As someone else suggested, next time get yourself a tube of Shoo-Goo or Goop. It can be obtained in various departments at most walmart stores.
You'd be amazed at how strong the stuff is, and it sure makes for doing a neater and longer-lasting repair. Us racers have been using the stuff for years, reinforcing weak areas of bodies and places they want to crack, and it sure works better than any duct tape/CA/ziptie/silicone ever will.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
alexchen86

That will be my next purchase at Walmart....I need Shoe Goo anyway. My boots are coming apart at the bottom rubber sole!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

working on my own body reinforcement project with shoe goo, zip ties, a CD, and one other special item....
Will let you guy know how it goes in my own thread when I come to a conclusion.

I like the ziptie idea, I'm using it adds tensile reinforcement to parts that have ripped apart too large for shoegoo alone.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:10 PM
alexchen86

Yes sir....whatever works works! I'd even use some thin soldering wire if need be. Whatever you can get your hands on from weed whacker wire to fishing line. DO IT! Lol.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: Brainanator
I like the ziptie idea, I'm using it adds tensile reinforcement to parts that have ripped apart too large for shoegoo alone.
Only problem being that the "tensile reinforcement" is stronger than the body itself, which has also been weakened by the holes to loop the ziptie through. There are times you just have to come to the conclusion that it's time to get a new body.

The other issue is that there are things we do ourselves in which we have to take the blame for the body failure, like the OP who chopped out his windshield. While a "racer's trick," to aid in airflow though the truck instead of getting trapped underneath it, is not a neccessity for bashing and fun running. There's also something that could have been said for doing it a bit neater, and rounding the corners (to relieve a "crack zone") instead of making them square.

Then there's also the consideration of addressing breakage areas before they crack, as in putting a dab of goop or shoegoo on known stress areas before running the body, instead of waiting for it to start cracking to do anything about it.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 PM
JustinThyme

I put a lot of duct tape around the inside of my bodies. Partially to protect paint, also to support corners and such.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When I cut out a clear body shell I save all the trimming. When you get a crack you use the Lexan trimming as backing and use the Shoe Goo adhesive so you end up with a very strong repair no matter how big the crack is. Since the trimmings have different shapes and profiles you can usually come up with a backing peice that has a profile or curves that matches the cracked part of the body close-enough. I also use trimmings to re-enforce the holes for the body posts.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
KRO

Next time try reinforcing it with Shoe Goo and fiberglass drywall tape WHEN THE BODY IS STILL NEW . It works GREAT and I have had bodies go a whole season without any major cracks .
Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: JustinThyme

I put a lot of duct tape around the inside of my bodies. Partially to protect paint, also to support corners and such.
Duct tape is HEAVY, and tends to come loose over time.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

When I cut out a clear body shell I save all the trimming. When you get a crack you use the Lexan trimming as backing and use the Shoe Goo adhesive so you end up with a very strong repair no matter how big the crack is. Since the trimmings have different shapes and profiles you can usually come up with a backing peice that has a profile or curves that matches the cracked part of the body close-enough. I also use trimmings to re-enforce the holes for the body posts.
Good idea -but most cracks can be eliminated by smoothing the edges (using sandpaper, or dremel) after cutting out the body so as to avoid any rough or snagged edges, along with avoiding any sharp cut corners (which was why the OP's body cracked at the windshield corners). Then reinforcing with ShoeGoo any hard mold edges, particularly where there's any 90-degree corners (a truck's doorpost meets the body), and especially the front fenderwells or any area that takes repeated flexing.