Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Where can I get a thin lipo battery for my futaba 6ex radio

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Where can I get a thin lipo battery for my futaba 6ex radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
BUBBA633

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get a thin lipo battery for my futaba 6ex radio

Where can I get a thin lipo battery to replace the nicad battery in my futaba 6ex fassst radio? How much?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:17 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where can I get a thin lipo battery for my futaba 6ex radio

[link=http://www.commonsenserc.com/index.php?cPath=37_27]Common Sense RC[/link]

I literally go a month without charging my Tx. Best $60 I have spent in RC.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
BUBBA633

Wow, THanks! I've seen that one, I didnt think it would fit because it looks bulky...
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
RussWisc

VinceHerman

I never tryed a LiPo in the radio ,,,,, do you still charge it with your Std Radio charger or a Lipo charger like TP- 1010

I have all JR 9303 / 652 / X3i
Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
VinceHerman

Lipo charger
I have to unplug the battery from the mother board (done in the battery compartment in my Futaba 9C), but the slight hassle with that is WAY overshadowed by the huge benefit in the longer burn time.

During the summer, we often go to the flying field with the intention of flying until we run out of fuel/flight batteries/planes. And yes, there have been occasions where we ran out of planes. [X(] I have a full sized van that we fill with planes, sailplanes, helis and support equipment. So much so that the others have to drive themselves, because there is no room in the back for people.
With the stock NiMH pack, in a transmitter maybe 2 years old, we often got the low battery warning and had to stop flying for the day. This was with a properly charged pack.
Now that we have upgraded to the LiPo packs, this is no longer a concern. I have not actually clocked the 'on' time. I will try to do that between the next two charges, but it is build season now, not flying season.

Get the LiPo Tx pack and you will not be sorry.

Vince
Old 12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
BUBBA633

Hey Vince,

Can you give me the exact model #, voltage ect, of the battery pack you got from COMMON SENCE RC. I just called them and they said that the ones that they have dont fit that well. So if yo could get me that info, that would be great!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
RussWisc

i have 2500mah NiMH pack in my radio but the charge time is like 30 hours

but yes i agree the big pack you get so much run time and when you have 5-10 models in your radio you need it
Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
BUBBA633

Thanks but can you be more specific, is it a thunder power, eflite, ect. Is it a 3 cell, 2cell,4cell? Did it come from Commom Sense?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 PM
VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: BUBBA633

Hey Vince,

Can you give me the exact model #, voltage ect, of the battery pack you got from COMMON SENCE RC. I just called them and they said that the ones that they have dont fit that well. So if yo could get me that info, that would be great!
OK, I have the Common Sense RC 2500mAh 3 cell 11.1 pack. It is nearly identical to the one shown on their web page, ut we bought ours before they were putting balancing plugs on them. You are getting an even better deal than I got!

Any 3 cell LiPo would work. This one just packs in a lot of capacity.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
n3m3515

I have an old JR x347 radio and used a slightly puffed pack from my old CPPro
that now sits on the shelf (thanks to the Trex). It's a 850Mah 3c 11.1v.
I just cut off the stock discharge plug (ONE WIRE AT A TIME!!) and soldered on an old
2 pin connector from an old PC case's HardDrive LED wire. Just have to make sure that
the polarity is right when plugging it in to the transmitter.
I usually get about 2-3 weeks of flying 1-2 packs a day with it.
Only problem I found is when it starts to drop below 9v, it drops FAST!
Battery fit right into the battery compartment.

N3M3515
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM
BUBBA633

n3m3515,

WOW, Thanks, that good to know! great info!!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM
lookyj

I just bought the Common Sense RC LiPo for both my Spektrum DX7 (air) and my Futaba 3PM (surface),
as my biggest problem with multiple models in each controller was Transmitter run time. I've heard of going about a month between charges with these Lipo's.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/index.php?cPath=37_27

So I got a pack for each controller, they fit perfectly! (2500mAh for DX7, and 2800mAh for 3PM). The 2500mAh required some soldering to attach a new connector to use with the DX7. Another great product from Common Sense RC is the "Charge Anything" Octopus

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=390

Yesterday doing some reading on the forum, I found this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6582915

Has anyone had any problems? should I stop using Lipo's in my controllers, or is it just the typical factory warning about aftermarket products....
Old 12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Synister

I just found this thread and I too have been looking for a solution to the crappy Tx battery that comes with an otherwise good radio. I didnt want to buy a new expensive lipo so i started to see how i could fit a CP Pro 800mah 11.1v battery in. It doesnt fit in the battery tray but lo and behold if you wrap the battery lengthwise a couple times with electrical tape it fits nice and snug between the two screw posts under the uppermost circuit board. I did have to rig up a longer connector to reach the battery terminal but i had the pieces handy. Its a bit of a pain to have to remove the back piece just to charge the battery but I have 2 of them plus the original that I keep in the battery compartment just in case i need a spare at the flying field. I dont know how long the new battery is good for because i just figured this out today!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49044.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	821331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35894.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	821332  
Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM
sunnyl

I've spent hours looking for a thin lipo and found this thread. I have a 6EXHP (takes 8*AA batteries) and I'm looking for a lipo solution so I don't have to buy AA batteries or deal with huge charge times with NiMH/NiCd packs.

Alas I haven't found anything - does anyone know any lipo packs that would have the rough dimensions of eight AA batteries side by side?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM
helifan06

this is might you are looking for

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Lipoly_Pack

you might also want to have an extra lead wire (servo type) to the Tx, so it does not wear out the Tx battery connector everytime you unplug it for charging, although, you might go months without charging anyway,

happy flying...
Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: helifan06

this is might you are looking for

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Lipoly_Pack

you might also want to have an extra lead wire (servo type) to the Tx, so it does not wear out the Tx battery connector everytime you unplug it for charging, although, you might go months without charging anyway,

happy flying...
I bought one of these also.. it is a really nice battery.. however between the time of ordering it and arrival I did a lot of research and found that in some cases the voltage is slightly too high for the radio and the radio burns out the instant you turn it on with this battery installed..

It only happens in about 5% of cases but I was not prepared to take that risk so I never used it..

Just for your info...
Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
madphil

Just another thought for extended flight times i use a 12v charger it costs very little money and i plug in when not flying or when waiting for my lipo's to finnish charging ( i would say for every hour at the flying field the Tx could be charging 20mins or more ) so with a good stock battery you should be going home with an almost fully charged TX battery and not have to mess about disconecting and balancing a lipo.

phil
Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: madphil

Just another thought for extended flight times i use a 12v charger it costs very little money and i plug in when not flying or when waiting for my lipo's to finnish charging ( i would say for every hour at the flying field the Tx could be charging 20mins or more ) so with a good stock battery you should be going home with an almost fully charged TX battery and not have to mess about disconecting and balancing a lipo.

phil
Yes, that is a good idea..

I have 3 x 6EXs... on various heli/plane combos.. so each one gives me3 Solid hours of flying.... that is 9 hours of flying in a day.. That is usually enough!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: BUBBA633

Where can I get a thin lipo battery to replace the nicad battery in my futaba 6ex fassst radio? How much?
Just food for thought.... as I originally wanted to change the batteries in my 6EXs... but how much time do you need to fly in one day? Charge your TX.. then turn it on andlet it sit there until the low battery alarm goes off.. Mine lasts almost 5 hours.... Would you fly that much in one day?

I fly every day.. sometimes 15 heli flights using a single 6EX, and it never even comes close to running out of power.. in fact.. after the said 15 flights (about 6 mins per flight) the TX is still showing tens in the voltage.. eg (10.3 v)

So I ended up not bothering with a new battery..

But if you really want more capacity, a safer option than lipo would be a Sanyo Eneloop 2000mah pack.. you can buy them from hobby stores and they fit right in and will triple your capacity without risking frying your TX..

https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...%252dE2FF.html

or here.. http://flyelectric.com/Eneloop-cells.html

or search ebay for "Futaba Battery 6EX" and you will have plenty of options..

like this.. http://cgi.ebay.com/2500mA-FUTABA-TR...item56408c5bf4

Hope that helps..
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
madphil

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

I bought one of these also.. it is a really nice battery.. however between the time of ordering it and arrival I did a lot of research and found that in some cases the voltage is slightly too high for the radio and the radio burns out the instant you turn it on with this battery installed..

It only happens in about 5% of cases but I was not prepared to take that risk so I never used it..

Just for your info...

This is a good point Rob2160 , you can increase battery size to give more performance and longer run time on your model , but in the case of the transmitter that was built to run on a nicad so putting a bigger battery theres a greater chance of burning something out ,

also the battery compartment on the transmitter only flicks down you can swap for a second battery and double the flight time with no risk to the TX

phil.