Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SPE ENGINES

Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
MAMBA-7700-Evader
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPE ENGINES

Hello everyone, first and foremost the intention of this thread is to get feedback from you (current owner, previous owner) About the non-northamerican SPE engine that wer sold to us in the USA. Please Do not start any arguments with fellow members, once again i just want your feedback. Here below i am listing a few know facts to get the disscusion rolling. I am in no way afelliated with Ceramark, i am just a fellow RC pilot fed up with poor workmanship and bad customer service.

1. It has come to my attention that a unknown amount of Non-N.American SPE engines have been distributed to the US and sold threw the (grey market).

2. Many of the engines that are not N.American have had failures in several different components, mainly the crankshaft breaking.

3. People are sending engines to Ceremark to be upgraded and are returned back in dependable working order for a small fee.

4. Ceremark is getting a bad reputation for these grey market engines, of which they are not responsiple for.

5. Who should be held responsible? The manufacture of the engine, and the distributors of the non-N.American Engines. Right?

6. I need everyones help to try and see just how many people have had a problem with an Non-N.American SPE engine and what the problem was, and if you want too, the retailer that it was purchased.

7. The manufacture needs to see just how many people here in the US has bought a SPE engine and had it fail for one reason or another. PLEASE write a quick thread explaining what engine, and failure they had and how it was handled if it WASNT a N.American version.

8.In advance, thank you for your feed back. Maybe some good will come from it, u never know.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Walt and Sage

Default RE: SPE ENGINES

I putchased a SPE 43 from a on line store in Portland Oregon...
Only had 8lbs of thrust...
Long story short : went on to other projects and left it...

Steve Chao from CERMARK PM ed me and said to send it to him and he
would repair it for FREE ... Remember I DID NOT purchase it from Cermark..
He returned it anf it has OVER 18.5 lbs of thrust...

DARN GOOD SERVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Walt

P/S When I require another motor that size CERMARK will get the ORDER
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM
MAMBA-7700-Evader

I evedently unknowingly had purchased two of the grey market SPE-43's both engines had less than 10 minutes of flight time and the engines crankshaft broke. Cermark said they would fix it for a small fee , even though its not there resposibility. I think the manufacture of the engines needs to step up and correct a well known problem in these engines. As well as be more careful as to whom they sell there engines to!!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
stevenchao

Unfortunately dealers and middleman that buy from the manufacturers lie to the factory about where and who their customers are. According to every the factory, they have informed every buyer about the North American situation. Of course the buyers and the middleman agree/understand the requirements. I guess, it is like kids... agreeing and actually following the rules are 2 different things.

The factory is becoming more aware of the situation that there are engines that are not properly adjusted for North America is out there in North America. I would appreciate it if everyone chime in and express their frustration and their engines so that we can better assess the SPE-43 situation. You can also post SPE-40 situation as well, but at this time we can not promise a solution. We want to address the issue of the existing North American and grey market SPE engines that are having problem once and for all.

LET US KNOW!!!! and speak up. Do worry about getting our feelings hurt. Better knowing the problem then letting the simmer come to a full boil. Please direct traffic to this thread or let me know if there is another thread on another forum (to better track the conversation).

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Dave738
My Feedback: (4)

i bougth two 40 spe engines new  both broke from cranshaft one in test engine table in testing the engine the other in the third time that i turn the engine and it was the first flight  i send it back and remplace the cranshaft sold one very ship  because nobody wants those engines i style have the other engine  in the box for almost 2 years fix like new but i dont want to put it in other plane
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 PM
aussiesteve

I find it incredible how so many Chinese Engine manufacturers seem to make an especially low quality product just for their own market and an exceptionally high quality one for the US market. - well according to the distributors that seems to be the case. This is not the only brand to have such issues (just about every one from the Zhejiang & Shanghai areas seem to be the same - and that is most of them).

Why would they do that? it must be a nightmare keeping track of where each part is stored and ensureing the right parts go into the correct shipments.

Just my thoughts of course - there may be some other explanation.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 PM
stevenchao

I assure you that SPE and MLD mfg did not make 2 different grade of engines to satisfy multiple markets. I can not speak for other companies. However, there are plenty of mfg that private lable for others. There are definitely differing grades. I am certain that all of us are aware that OS engines does OEM one time or another for multiple companies. So I think there are economical reasons for making multiple grades of engines and definitely electric motors... I sure hope that the mfg already have the $ figured out in advance.

In our case, SPE and MLD engines have different version, so that they can accomidate different market place. I am certain that we can request that all of the engines be set according to USA standards. However, we know for a fact that the same engine will not perform very well in China nor in Europe... So it is a matter that the mfg is trying to please everyone. Perhaps the mfg is spreading themselves thin, but I am certain that they have the best intentions for you. Yes, it is a pain to keep track of all the engine and their versions. Here is our team working on someone's crank shaft...

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41568.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1523296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32896.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1523297  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: stevenchao

I assure you that SPE and MLD mfg did not make 2 different grade of engines to satisfy multiple markets.
Thanks for the clarification on that Steven (no I am not talking to myself - I mean the other Steven - great name by the way - in fact my family name also starts with the letter "C" ).

It sure clears a few things up for sure.

I have never been able to understand why any company would do it - it would have to be a real nightmare keeping track of the parts and models.

Steve C

Old 10-26-2010, 08:46 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now tell the folks that there is no SPE factory cranking out SPE engines. Instead, there is a small business where the proprietor(s) order parts/assemblies from different sub contractors. When the parts are delivered, the unskilled labor pool gets busy assembling engines from boxes of parts. Order enough parts and eventually someone will offer to change their mold to include your business' name on the piece. The old idea of a factory full of Keebler elves cranking out product has to bite the dust before you can grasp how the Chinese are really doing business.

Now to really hurt your feelings. Fox and K&B have been doing the same thing for decades and through many owners. No, Fox does not make all of its engines' parts.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stevenchao

Unfortunately dealers and middleman that buy from the manufacturers lie to the factory about where and who their customers are. According to every the factory, they have informed every buyer about the North American situation. Of course the buyers and the middleman agree/understand the requirements. I guess, it is like kids... agreeing and actually following the rules are 2 different things.

The factory is becoming more aware of the situation that there are engines that are not properly adjusted for North America is out there in North America. I would appreciate it if everyone chime in and express their frustration and their engines so that we can better assess the SPE-43 situation. You can also post SPE-40 situation as well, but at this time we can not promise a solution. We want to address the issue of the existing North American and grey market SPE engines that are having problem once and for all.

LET US KNOW!!!! and speak up. Do worry about getting our feelings hurt. Better knowing the problem then letting the simmer come to a full boil. Please direct traffic to this thread or let me know if there is another thread on another forum (to better track the conversation).

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
There seems to be an active market for SPE engines in Australia. What exactly has been the problem you refer to as the "North American Situation"?
I wonder if the engines we see down here have the same issues?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Now tell the folks that there is no SPE factory cranking out SPE engines. Instead, there is a small business where the proprietor(s) order parts/assemblies from different sub contractors. When the parts are delivered, the unskilled labor pool gets busy assembling engines from boxes of parts. Order enough parts and eventually someone will offer to change their mold to include your business' name on the piece. The old idea of a factory full of Keebler elves cranking out product has to bite the dust before you can grasp how the Chinese are really doing business.

Now to really hurt your feelings. Fox and K&B have been doing the same thing for decades and through many owners. No, Fox does not make all of its engines' parts.

Ed Cregger

Hey Ed - You just described pretty much WHY the vast majority of Chinese engines are internally exactly the same - the funny part is the main factory that supplies the parts is one where many users dislike their engines. Go figure that one.

I thought that MLD was the master company and the SPE brand was one arm of them but they are now dropping the SPE name. Might be wrong on that though. I know they make a heck of a lot of industrial engines that seem to work just fine for the price. (One of which is a pretty popular conversion engine). What I would like to know is what exactly is the picture showing a crank being worked on for? Is that a repair or a manufacturing photo?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
MAMBA-7700-Evader

I belive that is CERMARK in the USA fixing the crank problem the SPE's had. Im pretty sure they are grinding the counter weights on the crankshaft to better balance them. A LOT of the SPE engines had the crankshaft break from the manufacture not keeping a tight grip on QC. CERMARK is the US distributer for these engines so automaticly they get the bad reputatuion for the SPE engines that broke. They currently offer to fix the problems which was caused by the manufacture while the manufacture probably sits back and laughs all the way to the bank because they dont have to deal with it, and or wont deal with it!! They got paid for the engines and aren't standing behind them. The better bussiness bureau wouldnt put up for that in the US, you would get shut down!!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MAMBA-7700-Evader
They currently offer to fix the problems which was caused by the manufacture while the manufacture probably sits back and laughs all the way to the bank because they dont have to deal with it, and or wont deal with it!! They got paid for the engines and aren't standing behind them. The better bussiness bureau wouldnt put up for that in the US, you would get shut down!!
This is nothing unique to SPE
An exact copy of the story with several (almost all) of the Chinese engine factories!
NO Western consumer protection authority would accept such business practices.

Only read through a few pages on this forum and you can find pretty much exactly the same story behind almost all of the Alphabet brands
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency, nor is it attached to one. It has no authority and it especially lacks the authority to shut any business down. It is a private corporation that was assembled by folks whose intention was to sell their approval to businesses in order to make them (the businesses) look appealling to the potential customer pool. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know it sucks when someone bursts your bubble. But someone had to do it.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
MAMBA-7700-Evader

LOL, A strong lawyer and or matches and gasoline would take care of it!! PS: if you read in the top of the thread there wont be any bubble busting on this thread. lol
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Walt and Sage

ORIGINAL: NM2K

The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency, nor is it attached to one. It has no authority and it especially lacks the authority to shut any business down. It is a private corporation that was assembled by folks whose intention was to sell their approval to businesses in order to make them (the businesses) look appealling to the potential customer pool. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know it sucks when someone bursts your bubble. But someone had to do it.

Ed Cregger
Ed you are SO REIGHT !!!!
The BBB is funded by business to work out problems with their customers
BEFORE calls to the State Attorney Generals are made....
Walt
Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 PM
MAMBA-7700-Evader

Ok, i guess its time already to reiterate what this thread is for. It was started by me in order to put some pressure on a certain manufacture for poor engine quality control and workmanship. We need your input on recent and or prior encounters with the (NON-N.American)or grey market SPE engines and how it was taken care of. This thread in conjunction with others that have been started is putting the people with the problem SPE engines one step closer to a resolution. Take to mind and read the top of the area of which your reply is typed (RCU Policies). Thanks for your input and hopefully we will have a resolution to the problem soon.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Walt and Sage

ORIGINAL: MAMBA-7700-Evader

Ok, i guess its time already to reiterate what this thread is for. It was started by me in order to put some pressure on a certain manufacture for poor engine quality control and workmanship. We need your input on recent and or prior encounters with the (NON-N.American)or grey market SPE engines and how it was taken care of. This thread in conjunction with others that have been started is putting the people with the problem SPE engines one step closer to a resolution. Take to mind and read the top of the area of which your reply is typed (RCU Policies). Thanks for your input and hopefully we will have a resolution to the problem soon.
We know what your thread is about as we were your FIRST POST..
YOUR WELCOME AND HAVE A GREAT DAY....
Old 10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
stevenchao

There isn't a SPE company cranking out SPE engines. There is a company called MELODY cranking out SPE and MLD engines. SPE and MLD engines are not the same as other mfg. The foundry is not owned by MELODY. However it does exclusive work for MELODY. The ownership of the casting and molds belong to MELODY.

Like Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW... there is no longer a company that has a complete vertical integration. It is sometime wiser to use companies or people who are more of an expertise in their fields. However, there is a tremendous cost associated with it... such as outsourcing and QC.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 PM
jimfisher

iam having trouble with prop hub cracking in the key hole in the hub on a spe26 how can it be fixed does amyone know the torck on the nut that hold,s the prop hub on the crank shift ?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
stevenchao

Jimfisher: I highly recommend that you replace the cracked SPE-26 hub.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM
jimfisher

I put a new prop hub on checked the balance. started the motor run it about 10 min & stopped the motor &checked the new hub & it was cracked it the key way to the outside of the hub. this hub wasorder from cermark . they are sending me a new one but I would like some infro so it don,t do it again ? my e-mail add [email protected]

Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
jimfisher

three prop hub working good thinks cermark
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Ricky Blade

If I can jump in here.
I aquired a spe 26 and I am having major vibration issues. I suspect the hub and would like to replace it. Can someone direct me to the warranty department?
I must add that it starts very easy and runs perfect. Excellent throttle responce and very stable idle. Really a great running engine for the price but if I cant resolve this vibration issue, I'll have to use it for a paint shaker (really!) Please help!
thanks, ricky
Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 PM
jedijody

The warranty department is behind the counter at the place of purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.