Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Simulator transition

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Simulator transition

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM
AFB2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulator transition

This is my first foray into aircraft. I have had cars for years now but looking at something different. I bought a simulator for my pc and have been spending a lot of time getting familiar with control and orientation. I fully understand that there is no substitute for real flight and flying at home on my computer is far from the real thing. That said, is there a recommended training time on the simulator before switching to the real thing? What should I expect once I hit the field? Did you find the time spent on the simulator take over once you hit the field or was it just basics and you had to learn all over again? Thanks for the feedback and advice.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 AM
tshero

Default RE: Simulator transition

I to made the switch from cars, and used to oval race them. I still have trouble flying in a clockwise pattern and constantly work on that.

As for time on the simulator,,,,,depends on the person I would say. Try to stick with planes on it that are the same as what you are planning to fly for real. Along with that choose an airfield on the sim that is close to what your real life situation will be. Runway orientation, trees and other obstacles. I have mine set up pretty close and it really helps. Last but not least always have a plan on whatyour flight will be, it helps out to know in your mind a flight plan.

The biggest difference I think are nerves and flying safe. No big deal to crash on the sim or make a mistake that might put property or spectators in jeopardy. I have been amazed at watching some guys with years and years of experience sweating it out at the field. That for me is the biggest difference.

Another thing depending on the plane with be wind and up/down drafts especially if you are using a lighter trainer aircraft.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:34 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AFB2008

This is my first foray into aircraft. I have had cars for years now but looking at something different. I bought a simulator for my pc and have been spending a lot of time getting familiar with control and orientation. I fully understand that there is no substitute for real flight and flying at home on my computer is far from the real thing. That said, is there a recommended training time on the simulator before switching to the real thing? What should I expect once I hit the field? Did you find the time spent on the simulator take over once you hit the field or was it just basics and you had to learn all over again? Thanks for the feedback and advice.

First off, the best way to transition would be from your simulator time to flying on a buddy box with an experienced instructor.

Nothing on your simulator teaches you to assemble your model correctly. There is way more to flying a model than pushing the sticks the right way. Instructors can help with that.

As for time on a simulator being a set amount....... nah, nothing in life takes the same amount of time for every human who tries a new thing.

Want some advice? OK, keep flying the simulator, but find an established flying field and go talk to some of the flyers there. Just watching people doing the real thing will make your simulator time more understandable to you. And you'll see what to expect when you hit the field.

I've had students who had a bunch of sim time who were probably hurt by it. Most who had some time benefitted however. None of them crashed while flying with an instructor. And most were flying safely on their own within a decently short time.

Simulators also fall short, very short in teaching you field boundaries and where you model actually is in relationship to you, the runway, the pits, the world. Spend too much time on a sim and all of that gets harder to grasp when you walk up to the flying line with a TX in your hands. There is a real difference in the pressure you'll feel in the real world.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned to fly without a simulator- it is possible! The best way to get into the sport (with or without a simulator) is to find a local club, join the club, and learn to fly with an instructor.

I will admit that after a few years away from the hobby, I did get Real Flight G3.5 (the latest version my computer would run). I still use it to practice new things, and I use it a lot over the long, cold, winter months here in Minnesota. It helps to keep the edge on my flying when spring rolls around.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Sims are fun but I would be very hesitant to try to learn to fly without an instructor with one. Much better to spend some time on a buddy box or even passing the box.

Problem I have with sims is orienting for landing, lining up with the runway. Yet to see one anywhere near the real world.

Tom
Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM
G.Barber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I will agree that they are not very close to real world flying in some cases, you can learn some of the fundamentals of flying on the simulator. I have actually found that it is easier in real life to line up on a runway than on the simulator.

As I stated, I have RF G3.5, and still use it regularly- sometimes just for fun, too!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
-pkh-

Yeah, find an experienced pilot to buddy box with you on your initial flights. He can get your plane trimmed out for you, and you can learn the flight envelope of your plane (stall speeds, does it snap out in when you pull hard on the elevator, etc.). If you've got the basics down in the sim (flying away from you, towards you, inverted, overhead, etc.) and you get the feel for your particular plane (with an instructor to help out if needed), you'll be pretty well set to fly on your own.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM
scooterinvegas

Also on the sim, don't leave it on beginner to long. As soon as you get a feel for the sticks, change it advanced right away. My argument for this is, "beginner" mode is very, VERY easy. It's unrealistic and gives a fulse sence of accomplishment.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM
-pkh-

Turn up the wind and gusts as well. Much more realistic and more challenging.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Most people who learned to fly RC never had a simulator to learn on. As a long time flight instructor I think simulators can impart the basic idea of RC flight but are in no way the same as really flying. The simulators seem to cause new pilots to learn some very bad habits, especially taking off and landing. At best they help with control reversal. I would rather teach someone who has no experience rather than a computer ace.If your tired of the computer game find an instructor who will buddy box you to solo. Leave the simulator for trying out new ideas after you know how to fly. Just think how much you will learn if you burn the same dollar amount of fuel flying as you did just buying a simulator.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Simulators have there place for sure. It all in how you use them, I used one and it helped me transition. I was on a buddy box and I soloed on my second attempt. I did put in some hrs on the sim though. Just remember this, in the real world there is no reset button.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would compare it with target shooting with a bow (simulator) vs. bowhunting for deer (real world).  You learn the basics and it is good practice, but very possible to learn bad habits and practices that are hard to break and it doesn't teach you how to react to the weather, wind, unforseen problems and other "natural" phenomenon.

Running models are a different animal from simulated models.  You seldon see a simulator with rough dirt or overly long grass that trips the model while it taxis.  And the engine is already running when the model appears.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The short answer to transitioning is to get some stick time with an instructor. You'll learn more about flying in a couple of hours with a good teacher than in 6 months of crashing and rebuilding.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:20 PM
capo915

It is very useful in my humble opinion. Now dont think that it is 100% accurate because it is not. The problem with sims is the landings and take offs are not realistic at all. The flying, however, is very close to the real thing and helps with attitude control. The first time you turn your plane toward you, in real life or sim, is gonna be an eye opener. So the sim can help with that. Also alot of people, mostly youngsters, seem to fly in the "box." IMAC pattern flyers know this term well but is different than their definition. In the "box" means you tend to fly right in front of you very short and close to the runway. This is caused from the practice one gets from the computer. Since its difficult to see the plane on a monitor sim users usually resort to flying close to where they can see it. This is NOT the way to fly in the skies! Think of flying like you would drive a boat. You need to have made up your mind what to do three or four seconds before you actually do it. But it is helpful