Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Optima Antenna Re-enforcement

Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Antenna Re-enforcement

Hi,

I have read that you can re-enforce the base of the "wisker" on the Optima receivers with flexible glue to reduce strain and failure at the joint. I also read that you could put heatshrink over the "wisker" and extend a little over the larger part of the antenna and shrink in place to remove the strain as well.

Can you tell me if one procedure is preferred over the other?

If I do both, glue and heatshrink, would I be decreasing the range of the receiver?

Thanks for your help.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Optima Antenna Re-enforcement

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller Hi, I have read that you can re-enforce the base of the "wisker" on the Optima receivers with flexible glue to reduce strain and failure at the joint. I also read that you could put heatshrink over the "wisker" and extend a little over the larger part of the antenna and shrink in place to remove the strain as well.Can you tell me if one procedure is preferred over the other?If I do both, glue and heatshrink, would I be decreasing the range of the receiver?Thanks for your help.Fly4Fun,Wayne
BODA Antenna Tip - If vibration a concern, secure with dab "Shoe Goo" or Heatshrink tube. (This for receivers pre Apr10. see comparison attached) . The new style antenna do not require further support.
(Have also used a piece of tight fiting heatshrink, shrunk and then remaining spaceleft between wire and tube filled with hot melt glue to give similar appearance as the new style tip - no apparent loss of range.)

"BODA Antenna Holder" 10pcs Pack = Hitec part number #58474
In need, call Hobby Horse 1-800-604-6229 to order.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 12-02-2010, 01:07 PM
rudder turns

Hi Wayne, I and several other of my club have used a tight fitting drinking stray,sleeved over the black portion,of the antenna,to protect the wisker part of the antenna,Works great range is still great,no problem, Try It you will like It,Thanks Ed
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Ed,

What I did was to put Shoe Goo around the base as illustrated, and then put tight fitting heat shrink about 1/4 in. over the big black part and out to the end of the wisker. I then shrunk the heat shrink down tight to the wisker.

My concern was whether there will be any loss of range doing this, it appear there won't be.

The straw idea sounds good as well.

Thanks for your help.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne