Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

$600 budget, what would you do?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 PM
hnasdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $600 budget, what would you do?

Okay, so here's the deal.I want a R/C car. Ive got some paintball gear im selling and this should be my budget. Trading in one dust collector for another. Ive spent the last 2 days doing all the reasearch I can on a new car. Ive even been to my LHS for info. I appreciate the local help, and service. To me Id rather spend a little more and have the service. In doing my homework, this site obviously has the best forum. With that being said...The rest of the story.

Ihad an R/C 10 gold pan when Iwas 8. Igot it for christmas, my dad put it together and it was way too much for me. Istill might be able to find it, as its complete somewhere. So there is spot in my heart for Team Associated.

The car Ihad in mind was the Factory Team RC10 T4. My dad built onfor me and I wouldlike to build one. Iman electrician bytrade and have no worries mechanically about my ability to put one together. Ithink is the best way tounderstandyour car. Abadge of honor,really. Besides when something breaks, your knowlege of how it went together and comes apart is invaluable. This would be my selection and is where im leaning. But at this point I dont have the cash, and if you can sway my opinion. I would love to hear about it.

A good point brought up to me was to find out about my local race track and the rules for racing locally. My trip to Hobbytown USA, showed me that they carry a TON of Traxxas. Also the biggest class at my home track is the Traxxis Slash Class. A true RTR to track class, which I think is very cool.

Im not really sure what Iwant to do with this car. The long version of this story is how long Ive wanted to do this. The deciding factor was the local skatepark that Itook my boys (7,8). Arandom stranger shows up with a traxxas (dont remember what model). Watching him play (bash) his car looked like way too fun. To see what my face looked like when I first saw the RC 10 was priceless. The look in my boys faces was awesome. They literaly stopped riding their scooters and drooled. Ithink all of us have that moment.That's why we are here.

This car im gonna spend a lot of time with in my driveway, Ive got plenty of room to get the feel for it. I need street tires, Iwould think. To play with on ashpalt, gravel driveways, etc. I'm sure that Iwill find a jump or two....or make one. But its gotta get some air, eventually.

I might want to race. Iknow how talented the guys at the track are but I think that racing is a natural progression. It's indoor season locally and carpet and foam is what is on the table. Not sure of the indoor classes are. Iwould think they would have a classthat a2wd truck would fit.( RC10 T4).Dont know how quick thelearning curve will be but is it possible to run in anovice class buy winter time? If so Id like tohave a car that would run both.

Would you buy a basher?Freestyle is fun, right? If you were just talking about durability, what would you suggest. Is oneREALLYmore durable than the other? Honestly?Isone easier to work on than the other, cheaper parts? MyLHS is full of Traxxisparts, I mean FULL. Theydidhave some AE parts, the mostcommon im sure. We have some moneyleftover for misc parts, so which ones break first.Which oneswouldyou wantto have areplacment for?

Lipo vs Nicd?TheT4 kit is set up for lipo Ibelieve. But the chargerand batteries are expensive!. Starting out can Iget away with thecheaper batteries and upgradelater when my skills become better? Is it worth the money upfront?Ihave noideaabout battery lifeeither. So I would like to be able to run it for a while, without having to wait fora charge.A backup battery would be nice, I would think.

Im a big ebay guy, so would you reccomend a usedone? Or getting a newcar and ebaying the charger, batteries, orfind a used set that has everything already? Someoneunloadinga setup. Ive seen a few with everything for far lessthan 500.

SO....withall that in mind.Now I know we aretalking about what is your favorite color, Ford vs. Chevy, Blonde's vs. Brunette's. Im not asking for what I should get,I want to to know whatYOU would get.

Here's the requirments

$500 for set up
$100for wheels, extraparts,etc
Need everything
Off road first with theoption of indoor carpet(possibly?)

Any Input would be appreciated. Hope my money gets me something nice!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: $600 budget, what would you do?

On your durability note, th most common companies that are durable are hpi and traxxas.  

Hpi plastic is soft but still rigid and perfect for bashing and racing.

Traxxas plastic is i think a bit harder but with the upgrade to rpm you will have an almost unbreakable truck.

Now the less common strong companies are duratrax and also thunder tiger, they are strong nd still able to race as well.

heres what id get from whichever type of vehicle you want to get

Stadium truck - Hpi e-firestorm 10ht (upgrades: Ball differential)

Short course truck - Traxxas slash (upgrades: rpm parts to cover the ones that break)

Monster truck - Traxxas e-maxx (upgrades:rpm parts that cover the ones that break)

But on a side note - ask the track if they have an onroad mini class, tamiya makes the mini cars and they are awesome fun and cheap too.

If you get a mini id say either a tamiya m03 or mo5

Hope this helped

Old 11-06-2010, 12:11 AM
i luv duct tape

duratrax is awesome and cheap. the parts are hard to break and if you do break it its very cheap to fix and easy to get to know. if you go with duratrax you should get an evader. theyre cheap so you can make them really look and perform great
Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

If you like associated, and your track races stadium trucks, then this is for you:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXYYD9**&P=ML

You wont beat the price. You said you love e-bay so if the hobby shop doesent have parts, just order them. Traxxas stuff, other than a few select things like the slash and revo, arent really the best for racing.

My reccomendation from what it sounds like you want, would be the above associated RC10T4.1, along with two 5000mah 2s LiPo batteries. Its brushless and 2.4 radio already. These are things you WILL want down the road. I bought a bunch of NiMh battery stuff a few months ago and now im switching to LiPo. They are just a far better bang for the buck.

At www.hobbyking.com, you can get two 5000mah 2s LiPo's for around $50, and a charger with power supply for about $30, plus about $15 shipping as an estimate. Also, www.hobbypartz.com is in the U.S. and has prices only slightly higher than hobbyking, however, you will have faster and cheaper shipping, and most of the batteries and chargers are almost identical. Its actually cheaper to go with a LiPo setup than with the NiMh that you will want to upgrade later anyways.

2- 5000mah lipo's - $50
1-Lipo Charger and Power Supply - $30
shipping from hong kong $15
1-RC10T4.1 Associated Stadium truck - $220 or so with towers discounts

That brings the total to about $315. That leaves lots of money left over for upgrades and spare parts/tires. I dont break a lot of parts on my R/C's so as long as you dont beat it you wont have a lot of problems. Each LiPo battery should net you at least 25-30 minutes of run time, so even with just 2 batteries you would have enough for about an hour of running, and the truck will be plenty fast, and reliable with the factory brushless system. You can always buy more batteries since you are under budget too if you feel you want more run time. Just make sure to study up on the proper care and storage of LiPo's.

Eric
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

If you like associated, and your track races stadium trucks, then this is for you:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXYYD9**&P=ML

You wont beat the price. You said you love e-bay so if the hobby shop doesent have parts, just order them. Traxxas stuff, other than a few select things like the slash and revo, arent really the best for racing.

My reccomendation from what it sounds like you want, would be the above associated RC10T4.1, along with two 5000mah 2s LiPo batteries. Its brushless and 2.4 radio already. These are things you WILL want down the road. I bought a bunch of NiMh battery stuff a few months ago and now im switching to LiPo. They are just a far better bang for the buck.

At www.hobbyking.com, you can get two 5000mah 2s LiPo's for around $50, and a charger with power supply for about $30, plus about $15 shipping as an estimate. Also, www.hobbypartz.com is in the U.S. and has prices only slightly higher than hobbyking, however, you will have faster and cheaper shipping, and most of the batteries and chargers are almost identical. Its actually cheaper to go with a LiPo setup than with the NiMh that you will want to upgrade later anyways.

2- 5000mah lipo's - $50
1-Lipo Charger and Power Supply - $30
shipping from hong kong $15
1-RC10T4.1 Associated Stadium truck - $220 or so with towers discounts

That brings the total to about $315. That leaves lots of money left over for upgrades and spare parts/tires. I dont break a lot of parts on my R/C's so as long as you dont beat it you wont have a lot of problems. Each LiPo battery should net you at least 25-30 minutes of run time, so even with just 2 batteries you would have enough for about an hour of running, and the truck will be plenty fast, and reliable with the factory brushless system. You can always buy more batteries since you are under budget too if you feel you want more run time. Just make sure to study up on the proper care and storage of LiPo's.

Eric
or on hobbyking look for USA in the battery title and it ships from the US pretty fast
like these http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14991 dship from the USA
or depending on the batteryu compartments size (never saw a Team associated vehicle in person) http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14976 I had to get these for another RC due to the way the battery compartment was.

plasmaedge the Savage Flux 2350 is $100 cheaper than the e-maxx BL edition, way stronger, and one of the toughest trucks made
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 AM
djnelsen

I wish I'd researched more about durability before buying a pair of Tamiya DF02's... something breaks on these things every 10 seconds.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
guys2nv

Hears what i would buy.

Traxxas Slash 2wd roller off ebay Around $100-120
2 2s 4000-5000mah 20c-30c lipos from Hobbyking or hobbypartz.com $20-30 each soft/hard case
Hobbyking or hobbypartz 2.4ghz radio $20-30
Skycharger B6AC charger from hobbypartz $60-does any rc battery you'll ever own
Ezrun Brushless combo w/ 60A esc and 6000kv motor $100 from hobbypartz

W/ max prices your at $340 or less w/ lower prices.

Still might need servos/wheels/tires/Bodies so id figure another $100 or so
I basically gave you info for the same exact stuff i have and i've never run into any problems w/ the stuff. Then you'll be able to race in the slash 2wd class and have a great basher and still be under $450-500. Good luck
Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
yotaman1991

It's pretty simple get a savage if your just gonna bash but if you want to race get the t4. The savage series is more then likely the toughest rc ever and the t4 will be an awesome track truck. But if you have a hankering to do both get the slash 4x4 like I did. It does both well. It races with the best of the sc trucks , is a great street basher , and isn't too shabby in a real off road setting either. You really need to checkout Hobbyking.com for batteries and chargers, shipping is slow but prices are good to say the least. Just make sure you go lipo and not nimah.Good luck in what ever direction you go.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:05 PM
meef rustler

Get a Vorza.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM
SouthFloridaAppraiser

There is a lot of good info here. Here is my take. First, visit a race and speak to a lot of people. Should you decide to race you'll need the right car/truck and lipo setup. Do they run 2 cell lipos or more.. Probably 2 cell. Then you will need a good motor and esc. I am partial to castle because of their one year warranty. The T4 mentioned above looks nice, but I don't really have any knowledge about it. I have a 4x4 slash and love it. I call it Mr. Dependable. Not too many "did not finishes" with this simple and effective truck. I also have an ebuggy (8 scale) and love that too. I can't stress enough......... go to your local track.. even if you don't choose to race. Go there before the races start or on a practice night as guys are willing to help more at that time. I ran my slash (Platinum) 4x4 last night in a parking lot and loved it. I had recently changed a pinion gear and took it out for a test drive.. I had fun, but I don't go to parking lots that often... I race it at a great off-road track... As far as street tires... The ones that come with the truck will be ok to start.. Most of the stock tires suck for the track, so no loss.... You will wear them out somewhat quickly, but who cares, they are useless for a track.... I have purchased three different types of batteries for my slash. I have Hyperion, Pro-match and Hobbypartz.com batteries. I was pretty impressed with the Hobbypartz batteries (Blue Lipo 5000 mah 2 cell lipos 40C) They are thirty bucks a piece. In my opinion good value... I definitely recommend lipos and not nimh. I also have the hobbypartz Thunder AC6 Smart 5-in-1 LiPo Charger. It costs $55.00 and comes with an electric cord and all sorts of adaptors. It works well.... By the way, I raced a long time with one lipo battery. I just charged it between races and never had a problem. I would suggest atleast two batteries though, one can be charging while u run the other... and if a connector needs to be resoldered you have a backup. My track does not race stadium trucks (T4), but another track that I know of does.. So if you think you might race, buy something that they race, preferably a large class so it doesn't die on you....
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: meef rustler

Get a Vorza.
Yep, get a Vorza but be sure to buy a fire extinguisher so you can put it out when it burst into flames!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 AM
positron

if you like associated why not check out the team associated short course truck
Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Redvanmafia

I would get a B44.1 from rc10, fully deck it out.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

will you be going off road at all? my experience is pretty much all yard/street bashing. i keep trying the smaller cars/trucks but always ditch them for a monster truck. its the bashers #1 for doing it all. unless you keep your grass nice and short, you'll be limited with most 1/10 trucks and yes even the slash 4x4. i just got rid of mine. if you can use smaller tire trucks, i have to say the slash 4x4 for me was very tough and reliable. if you use stock electronics, you also get a lot of water protection for those post rainy day runs too.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Justin B
My Feedback: (8)

Traxxas Slash 4x4 ultimate: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=SM&I=LXZEV3**
Join the super saver club and you'll save an additional $60.00 off that price.

Do you know how to solder?

Have a soldering iron? Or know someone that does/can do this for you.

The batteries from Hobbyking will need you to solder a battery connector on before you use them and the large wire size can make that a PITA if you're not competent with a soldering iron.

If you are these would work great:http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=14991

if not:http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=2505
These are out of stock though.

You would need a LiPo compatible charger and power suppy if you go this route, but it's worth it IMHO.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM
hnasdad

Keep the suggestions coming!  Thanks for all the input, those that took the time to actually read that novel.  Ive been on the local track's forums and have be badgering them with all my questions as well.  So, to answer some of your questions. 

My local track's biggest class is the Slash class.  Pretty much a bone stock RTR Traxxis slash with durability upgrades.  The LHS is a Hobbytown USA, and it should be called the Traxxas store.  But I do like the fact that you get basically online prices with stock on hand. Although the AE parts were far less.

Ive looked at the SC10 and are starting to lean that direction.  Looks like it might be a better entry level class, than the staduim trucks.  Get a decent turn out for both, according to the track.  I like the fact that its a little longer.  Longer wheelbase, more stable, slower to turn.   Its basically the same car, different chassis wheels, bumpers etc.  I think the wheels being tucked in might save a newbie some parts.

I like the peice a car togheter on ebay idea, but not for my first.  I really want to build my first one from a kit.  Besides with my two boys, 6,8.  Its not gonna be long till Im gonna have to get them one as well.  

Thanks again, and keep it coming! 
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM
yotaman1991

the sc10 is a great truck imo, i had the honor to run one and now want one for my son. not getting rid of my slash 4x4 though. keep researching, it's worth the time to get informed. going to local races is a great idea to get more info. if your local hobby store is a hobbytown i think you should go slash 4x4 then don't go slash 2wd, if you want a 2wd get the sc10 then.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:56 AM
i luv duct tape

i still think you should get duratrax
Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Justin B
My Feedback: (8)

I don't think anybody should get a Duratrax, especially if you have $600.00 to get started with.
The SC10 is a great racing truck when set up correctly but not the best choice for bashing.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:48 PM
pritch

Hi hnasdad

For me in your position coming back into the hobby I would favour what the LHS stocks and knows about, and sure if you down at a local venue whatever the guys are running down there and are knowledgeable about.

For all the things you mentioned - your budget, the LHS stocks, the ability to bash but maybe also race, I would favour E-Revo brushless. It's a good all-rounder. I admit I've had a few Traxxas vehicles and may be a bit biased to them, but you asked what we would do and that's what I'd do as I've never been disappointed with a Traxxas vehicle, and especially as it's easy for me to get parts here in the UK for Traxxas. Being in America this is less of an issue for you though.

As you need all the kit I would certainly look to ebay for someone looking to get out of the hobby, who's throwing in all the spares, bits n pieces, etc. You could save a fortune on buying new, as ever though, try to ensure it hasn't been too used/abused.

I would go lipo now. I just have and I'm not looking back. It's still a bit of a black art to me but all I know is I put two packs in my old e-maxx and I've never seen it move like that.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:16 PM
meef rustler

ORIGINAL: bckyrdbshr

ORIGINAL: meef rustler

Get a Vorza.
Yep, get a Vorza but be sure to buy a fire extinguisher so you can put it out when it burst into flames!!!!!!
Haha yea right , mine works great and you can blame castle creations for that lol.
Anyones r/c can burst into flames
Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Dtx is good for racing stock class. Lots of graphite and pretty good after getting a 27t. And when it comes brushless, the ext2 can handle mild systems that dont break land speed records.
From what i heard any major company except traxxas is good. Traxxas is better for bashing, and with your money a savage would be nice to see.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 PM
i luv duct tape

i have a traxxas t maxx 2.5. its pretty good
Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: i luv duct tape

i have a traxxas t maxx 2.5. its pretty good

Electric off road
$600 budget
$300 nitro truck

hmmm...
Old 11-09-2010, 01:05 AM
hnasdad

Pulled the trigger today......Factory Team SC10.  Its the biggest class at my home track.   And Im going over budget.  Isnt that the way it always works.   Almost have a rolling chassis, super stoked.  Thanks for all the help. 

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.