Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Queries on Bipe Flyer's LST 1/2A trainer

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Queries on Bipe Flyer's LST 1/2A trainer

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 AM
simonta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Queries on Bipe Flyer's LST 1/2A trainer

Hello

I apologise for posting this again here but because it was 'buried' as the last entry (33 pages) in the LST 1/2A trainer sticky it hasn't been noticed.

I’ve been looking through the LST 1/2A trainer sticky in particular D Bronk’s build. Bipe Flyer's design looks like a fabulous aircraft.

I’m relatively new to R/C modelling but keen to start – in particular with a 1/2A plane. Based on my lack of experience I’m not sure whether I should buy a kit or build the LST from the that I have downloaded. I feel that building the LST from plans will be a steep learning curve but far more beneficial. To help me make a decision I’d be grateful for a bit of advice.

The Jr Falcon (http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/id15.html) looks like a great kit. But do you reckon this plane (assuming one added ailerons etc) is as good as the LST? And would it be easy to add ailerons?

A .074 engine is recommended for the LST – is the plan/design scalable as I would like to use my existing .049 (with an R/C throttle)?

I look forward to hearing your comments.

All the best

Simon
Old 11-02-2010, 01:22 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Queries on Bipe Flyer's LST 1/2A trainer

Simon, just a quick note on your posting of text. I assume you are using some sort of word processor or other fancy secondary application. If so when you cut and paste please paste your messages as "text only" or "unformatted text" or something similar. Your post above came up with a bigger than normal font. I went in to have a look at it and found it was chocked full of odd formatting and links to other websites embedded in the text. The "mush" that was in with your message was more than the message itself. Anyhow, on to your requests now.

Others have built the LST with regular Cox .049's and certainly an .074 would be more power than it needs. The recomendation on the plan for the Norvel engines is based more on their effective throttle than the need for power in excess of what a good .049 can offer. Some attention to watching the weight of the build so that you keep the weight down to around 20 oz or less would be advisable. Both so the .049 can adequitely fly the model without strain and so that the model has slower landing speeds and kindly low speed manners.

The Jr Falcon is a great design and the products that come out of Early R/C are excellent. Both the Jr Falcon and the LST would be pretty much equally good as trainers but the Jr Falcon with reduced dihedral and ailerons would be a slightly better aerobatic model if that is what you're after. However if this will be a first trainer for you then I'd suggest sticking with rudder and elevator only for your first model. Then a little later make a new wing for either model that has reduced or no dihedral and ailerons.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
simonta

Excellent - thanks BMatthews! Your help/comments are much appreciated.

All the best

Simon
(Incidentally, I've also corrected the postings saving them as plain text.)

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Simon, just a quick note on your posting of text. I assume you are using some sort of word processor or other fancy secondary application. If so when you cut and paste please paste your messages as "text only" or "unformatted text" or something similar. Your post above came up with a bigger than normal font. I went in to have a look at it and found it was chocked full of odd formatting and links to other websites embedded in the text. The "mush" that was in with your message was more than the message itself. Anyhow, on to your requests now.

Others have built the LST with regular Cox .049's and certainly an .074 would be more power than it needs. The recomendation on the plan for the Norvel engines is based more on their effective throttle than the need for power in excess of what a good .049 can offer. Some attention to watching the weight of the build so that you keep the weight down to around 20 oz or less would be advisable. Both so the .049 can adequitely fly the model without strain and so that the model has slower landing speeds and kindly low speed manners.

The Jr Falcon is a great design and the products that come out of Early R/C are excellent. Both the Jr Falcon and the LST would be pretty much equally good as trainers but the Jr Falcon with reduced dihedral and ailerons would be a slightly better aerobatic model if that is what you're after. However if this will be a first trainer for you then I'd suggest sticking with rudder and elevator only for your first model. Then a little later make a new wing for either model that has reduced or no dihedral and ailerons.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:40 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Simon,

I have to agree with Mr Mattews on this one. I have flown a number of Jr Falcons over the last 30 years with Cox 049 motors and have trained many new users on them. Yes, keep it rudder/elevator to start. If you have an instructor (highly recomended), you will most likely make it through your entire training with the plane intact, they realy are tough little planes.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM
simonta

Thanks hllywdb

ORIGINAL: hllywdb

Hi Simon,

I have to agree with Mr Mattews on this one. I have flown a number of Jr Falcons over the last 30 years with Cox 049 motors and have trained many new users on them. Yes, keep it rudder/elevator to start. If you have an instructor (highly recomended), you will most likely make it through your entire training with the plane intact, they realy are tough little planes.