Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AR9100 lost signal - need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM
nappy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR9100 lost signal - need help

I have this Rx in 50cc Sbach, with four antennas. I always check before each flight that each antenna is "bound" (solid lite)...noted yesterday that one light was "off" on one antenna, I then saw that the wire was broken at the plug. I still had 3 antennas, and it was a nice day (famous last words), so I did range check, and it seemed OK. So I proceeded to fly. In a long vertical up line, I noticed the plane acted different, as I came into the down line, proceeded to pull out and the elevator was very sensitive. I let sticks to neutral, and noted the plane would dive, managed to land OK, and then noticed the elevator was about 10 degrees down (at neutral), and the RX lites were flashing. This would indicate a "brown out"...but the batteries had ample power remaining. So I turned everything off, and on, and all was OK, elevator centered properly again (no adjustments to TX).

My question...what the heck happened??? The 9100 manual says each time you add an antenna; you need to "re-bind" (to see the antenna)....so does that happen in reverse? It was bound with 4 antenna's, but flying with only 3? I also noticed on 2nd range check (after flight failure), the range was much less (barely 30 paces), whereas with 4 antenna's I can get 120 paces.

I replaced the broken antenna wire, rebound, and its back to 120 paces for range check OK, and all working well.

Any help/experiences would me much appreciated !
Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: AR9100 lost signal - need help

http://www.futaba-rc.com/gallery/inn...?scale=noscale
Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Blinking lights mean power loss.

Yes, if you removed a reciever I would have rebound it.

If I were you I would bind with one receiver at a time and do a range check and see if you have something going on with one of the remotes.

I fly a 50CC Sbach with an AR7000 and one remote and never had an issue.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Are you moonlighting at RCG, or do you have other reasons for wanting to drive users away from RCU?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MikeL- why would you say that his post would drive anyone away from RCU? He was simply making a statement about a particular product, without bashing anyone or any product (as many on here do), and in no way promoting RCG.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

It's not very helpful to nappy99, is it?  It's just fanboyism.  There's enough of that useless crap that goes on here in threads where someone isn't directly asking for help.  For a mod to do it is pretty disrespectful to the poster.  If I came here asking for help and a senior staff member did that, I'd probably look elsewhere.  It's no different than what a snarky hobby shop employee does for his employer's business.

We should probably let this get back to nappy99's problem.  Sorry for the disruption, nappy.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Blinking lights mean power loss.

Yes, if you removed a reciever I would have rebound it.

If I were you I would bind with one receiver at a time and do a range check and see if you have something going on with one of the remotes.

I fly a 50CC Sbach with an AR7000 and one remote and never had an issue.
Only problem with that idea Andy, is that he's using a PowerSafe rx which doesn't have any receivers/antennas inside the main unit. It requires a minimum of 3 satellites to operate since there are none inside the main unit and can accomodate 4 satellites.

As for the OP; yeah you don't 'wanna be changing the number of satellite rx's without rebinding....
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because the Rx batteries have acceptable voltage, after the flight, does not mean that you did not have a voltage drop during the flight. You need to run a test, on the ground, monitor the voltage, stall all the servos manually, and see if you get an unacceptable voltage drop and a subsequent Brownout.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Zeeb is right, I forgot about that configuration
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
nappy99

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Just because the Rx batteries have acceptable voltage, after the flight, does not mean that you did not have a voltage drop during the flight. You need to run a test, on the ground, monitor the voltage, stall all the servos manually, and see if you get an unacceptable voltage drop and a subsequent Brownout.
I did do that test (without charging)...I put a Y connector on each battery, and bent the sticks in all directions for a solid minute, the lowest voltage was only 5.98v....and that was with one battery only, I fly with 2 batteries, so I doubt I had Rx power loss...but you never know.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:10 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You ought to put the voltmeter on the receiver input - in case there's losses in the wire and switch, measuring at the battery terminals would not show any of that.

I doubt that your reduced range check would be attributed to voltage anyway, at least not in this case.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 AM
nappy99

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

You ought to put the voltmeter on the receiver input - in case there's losses in the wire and switch, measuring at the battery terminals would not show any of that.

I doubt that your reduced range check would be attributed to voltage anyway, at least not in this case.

Thanks, it has a "soft switch", so power is not routed through the switch, its direct to the RX...my readings were direct at the RX..
Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: nappy99

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I did do that test (without charging)...I put a Y connector on each battery, and bent the sticks in all directions for a solid minute, the lowest voltage was only 5.98v....and that was with one battery only, I fly with 2 batteries, so I doubt I had Rx power loss...but you never know.
Okay I'm 'gonna tell you a little story; I've got a little 50cc bird that had not flown with anything but the JR 9 channel setup of an R-921 and the X9303 so I had nothing to compare. It seemed a bit different doing snaps and spins but I attributed it to a new airframe from a different manufacture. Now this was the original R-921 which had the first version of Quick Connect without the flashing light power loss indication.

I sent all my rx's in for the Quick Connect update when the current flashing light power brown out option became available. When they came back and I flew that bird again, it had flashing lights on landing. I chased every component looking for an issue with any test I could come up with at home and I could not make it fail on the ground nor find and issue including looking at all the components and the servo setups for possible binding problems. That model had dual Li-Ions with dual switches and regulators big enough they should have been able to handle a 35% size model and I couldn't find anything wrong on the ground so I flew it again. On landing I had flashing lights again....

So I pulled all that battery stuff out and replaced it with a single 2300 mah A123 using dual power outlets for the dual switchs and dual current path to the rx. Flew it again and no more flashing lights on landing.

Bottom line; just because you cannot find an issue nor make it fail on the ground doesn't mean there isn't a problem created by the higher loads on the servos/surfaces while flying. Flashing lights on landing if they were solid on takeoff mean a power problem, end of story.

Oh since changing that stuff out, that model now responds during snaps and spins in the usual manor so I'm guessing the thing had been experiencing brownouts all along but I wasn't aware of it since the Quick Connect worked as advertised but had no ability to indicate that a problem had occured.