Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Flying field dilemma.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Flying field dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Dean Borchin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying field dilemma.

Hello to all modelers and pilots.I would like some info if i could.We are an established AMA club based in the NW.We have been able to borrow our flying sites from our local city for over twenty years.Mind you in those years we have had to relocate the field about three times do to the new construction in our area but our current site 12years.We have had the privilege of having many city officials and buisness people visit our flying site and bring there familes.Last month we were notified that a new building would be constructed on the site of the runway and that we could use a part of the field that is not under construction to the North.We prepaired the landing strip and were about to move our tarmat when last week we were told to stop all moveing!We were informed that we have to remove all of our tables and runway tarmat in five days or they would dispose of it for us.Also if we were not out by Monday if they had to remove anything they would charge us for it.Now lets recap!We have been there for over twenty years!Our site has been registered with the AMA for over twenty years!We have always treated there land with respect and kept it looking great.Is there anything we can do?Does the AMA help in cases like this?If anyone knows please let us know.Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Flying field dilemma.

You can contact the AMA on their website and ask for assistance, but I wouldn't hold much hope for any real solution for your current dilema. If you have had no written lease or use agreement, your position becomes very difficult to defend unless you really want to dish out a lot of dough and find a lawyer that might be able to find a niche. Your best bet is to find some land for which you can obtain a written lease agreement for say 10 years at a time. AMA can help advise you as to the terms needed in a lease agreement that would give you more legal standing against future situations like this.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: Dean Borchin

Hello to all modelers and pilots.I would like some info if i could.We are an established AMA club based in the NW.We have been able to borrow our flying sites from our local city for over twenty years.Mind you in those years we have had to relocate the field about three times do to the new construction in our area but our current site 12years.We have had the privilege of having many city officials and buisness people visit our flying site and bring there familes.Last month we were notified that a new building would be constructed on the site of the runway and that we could use a part of the field that is not under construction to the North.We prepaired the landing strip and were about to move our tarmat when last week we were told to stop all moveing!We were informed that we have to remove all of our tables and runway tarmat in five days or they would dispose of it for us.Also if we were not out by Monday if they had to remove anything they would charge us for it.Now lets recap!We have been there for over twenty years!Our site has been registered with the AMA for over twenty years!We have always treated there land with respect and kept it looking great.Is there anything we can do?Does the AMA help in cases like this?If anyone knows please let us know.Thanks
Dean - are you fully aware of all communication between your club's officers and the city? Perhaps some members have caused problems? The city sure sounds like they are at the end of their rope with your club, as though they are really ticked off with you guys.

If not, then most reasonable people would consider such demands, coming out of the blue, to be unworkable. At the very least, the city should offer to store your stuff, rent free, until you can find a new place. As hugger mentioned, there is probably nothing the AMA can do with such a short time fuse, but they may have some ideas for the long run. If I were you, I would have an appointment with your elected representative, council member, etc., to try to get some short term relief.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a lease? What are the termination terms in the lease? Our lease renewed every 5 years has a 30 day minimum notice from the city.

If your club doesn't have a lease then you don't have a chance.