Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Flybarless Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Should I go flybarless?

Community
Search
Notices
Flybarless Helicopters Discuss flybarless rotor head systems for all helicopters right here.

Should I go flybarless?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 PM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go flybarless?

I am looking to purchase my first big heli, I'm looking at 50-90 size (600-700) and I can't decide if I want to take the flybarless route. I'm an ok heli pilot I do a lil 3d like inverted hovering but that's about it, so a regular head design works fine but I have read that with a FBL head you need to purchase a 3 axis gyro system and I guess that can be setup to make the heli a little more stable tho the price is kinda steep. I like the clean look of a FBL system but is there a big performance difference? Is it worth the hassle to set one up for an intermediate pilot? Also if anybody could point me toward a newbie FBL page that would definitely help. One more thing do FBL systems put more stress on the servos? It seems like slightly higher torque servos might be needed but idk I'm pretty new to the whole scene. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM
DEMON(SPb)

Default RE: Should I go flybarless?

In my opinion flybareless system is not nessesary.
Here is my video of my flybar heli.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbnOqLoiQk[/youtube]
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 PM
lje553

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But is it better than flybared? I have two flybared helis and I am wondering if I should convert one.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
madphil

Flybars/paddles act like "power steering " on the head if you want it to be much harder to fly or a scale heli theres no reason to take them off .

Why do you want to go flybarless ?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:28 PM
lje553

longer auto..less parts....it looks freaking COOL! lol
Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
sportboater
My Feedback: (6)

Ihave one FBLheli....a Trex 550. In my opinion, the price for the kits are going to have come down farther before Iconvert some of my other helis. I just don't feel that the extra flight time and slightly better stability is a good reason to spend 300 to get rid of a fly bar that flies great.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
qwertypemdas

Yeah I agree, a flybarless system would almost double the cost of setting up a .50 size heli. I think I'm just going to go with the old flybar.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
brushless2401jr

well i have the beast x on my 500 and i love it its stable and the price of the beast x isgreat its not bad at alland its a great system now im coverting all of my helis so i would say go FBL!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 AM
wirlybird

I think it's much the same as there were no gyro's at first........ , and needless to say we all went the gyro route , now there were flybars , and believe me everyone will be going the FBL route , that's evolution for you , this hobby or ours is going at a very fast pace tech wise. There will always be a few die hards , but even they will change in time!!
Dave.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM
ea01bg

I converted my 12S 600 with the 3G last winter and flew this whole seasson FBL. I love it. In fact when I bought my 700E I didnt even consider getting the flybared version.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Drone Ace

Hey there... I definitely agree with madphil, for one main reason. If you are just beginning 3D flight, and have a FBL setup, you will almost definitely have a major, costly crash. Like madphil said, "having a FB is like power steering". FBL setups, especially on that big of heli, take a littlemore skill to control.You should definitely stick with a Flybar. Get comfortable with your machine handling, and then you can always decide to converte to FBL. Until then, happy flying and good luck !!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM
ea01bg

FBL setups, especially on that big of heli, take a little more skill to control
That’s just plain wrong. In fact just the opposite is true. The fbl setup will make it easier not harder.
And in a crash you rarely damage the fbl system. Some of these guys have no idea what they are talking about. I would suggest you go to a fun fly where they have sponsored pilots are flying and talk to them. Most are running FBL: and they can give you the skinny on it 1st hand.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
qwertypemdas

I went ahead and bought myself another 450 (trex 450 sport v3) because I thought I might want to tune my skills on a more squirrely bird before flying a bigger flybarless one (I've heard you get more response with the flybarless). I am amazed actually at how stable the 450 sport is, it's almost hands off for 10 seconds and it flies really mellow after I set it up properly, this was a huge confidence boost so I'm going to be building a FBL 600 sized nitro around Christmas time (certain people don't approve of buying 2 new helicopters just for hoots, gotta wait for Christmas now ;D). Also I've noticed that there are quite a few different flybarless controller units, what are the good ones? I've heard a lot of people hating on the Align stuff but people always do that, Align products are great imho, are there some good alternatives without breaking the bank for a 600? And I'm an Align type of guy but what other heli's would you suggest for FBL 600 nitro class besides Align?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:24 PM
ea01bg

I have used the (listed in order of preferance
v bar
SK720
3G (align)
sk360
GUI POS

For a nitro I'm not sure I would recommend the 3G. Its very vibration sensitive. Thats not to say it couldnt work its just harder to setup due to vibration issues (not a ig problem on electrics)
As far as the fbl being more response they can be setup mild to wild. THe SK720 can be setup to fly almost like a coaxil with its auto recovery turned on.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Iryna

Hi guys, <o></o>

I need your help. I am writing a research paper for mymarketing class at school about people who fly RC helicopters.<o></o>

Please take this brief survey, it will take less than 5 min http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DYTHBPL<o></o>

I will highly appreciate it! Thank you!<o></o>

Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Bill Truax

Hey fellows, flybarless or not,
Have you thought about the way digital has made massive changes in our daily lives,television, cell phones,cars, cameras and list that is long.
What would make anyone think that this technology will not be massive and positive, the radios are digital adjustable to 1 percent at a time.
I am positively excited about this new tecknology and believe that this is truly the beginning of stable easy to fly birds with the automated 3 axis giros.
I have just received my Walkera V100D01 flybarless and will couple this up with the Devo 12 radio, The Devo is now just becoming available
I am truly expecting great things do to the setting available

Walkera seems to be leaders in this new tecknology
Although you may want to check out the new Trex ESL 600, Heli magazine gave this extremely high marks and this flybarless
Trex first genuine all flybarless designed from the drawings to the production floor

I am sold and am persuing only flybarless from here on
Digital is already proved itself, there truly is no debate left

Best of luck

Bill
Old 10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Newpilot9

Check out the Walkera V450 flybarless heli. Its much easier to fly than anything else I have owned. I have a clone 450 that I need to tweek for hours just to get sort-of-stable flight. The V450 gives me way more hours in the air.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
meyerwrench

What blades and gyros are members using.  Is anyone using the  Turnigy® V-Bar 600 (v3) from Hobby King?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Cojac92

As a new heli-man I know my opinion isn't worth much, and the only flybarless heli I have flown is a mCP X. From what I've seen a flybar just seems like an extra liability.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Felix the cat

ORIGINAL: Newpilot9

Check out the Walkera V450 flybarless heli. Its much easier to fly than anything else I have owned. I have a clone 450 that I need to tweek for hours just to get sort-of-stable flight. The V450 gives me way more hours in the air.

I agree with you andthe other member whopointedout Walkera, I have flown them and are very good at FBL systems. Guess it's a two way street, the three axis stabilzation is much smoother. But find it a little too quick on the cyclic reponse, however they can be fine-tuned to your specific requirements.
imho
Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 AM
WILS0N

ORIGINAL: wirlybird

I think it's much the same as there were no gyro's at first........ , and needless to say we all went the gyro route , now there were flybars , and believe me everyone will be going the FBL route , that's evolution for you , this hobby or ours is going at a very fast pace tech wise. There will always be a few die hards , but even they will change in time!!
Dave.
This.

It's electro-mechanical evolution. Wadayagonado?

Hell, I love seeing FBL systems become more and more popular! As everyone thinks they HAVE to have the "latest & greatest" the old tried & true fly-bar machines become cheaper & cheaper ... for ME!

In all honestly I think it's a complete wash at this time.
I do love the clean looks of a FBL helicopter. I kind of like the apparent relative simplicity too,.. and expect that to
translate directly to relative economy by the begining of 2012 (gota sell off as many existing FB machines before Christmas as possible first!).
But looks are just that; aesthetics. What we would call a very dirty, overly-complicated machine LOOKS very impressive to a non-flyer.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:23 AM
Jorge Obama

Personnaly could go with 450 flybarless first

Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 AM
JunoWelson

Flybarless ones get  rid of interations between swashplate and aileron, so they can more go with your heart, more and more skilled pilots take FLB.

Then, FBL looks more close to real, and cool.

But, as a beginner, you had better take FLB, it is more controllable, you take Fbl more likely spent you lots of money!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM
VKGT

I LOVE my FBL helis.... Don't get my wrong, I still bought a FB Fury 55 but I wish that I got the FBL head now. My T-Rex 700 is 3G (Version 1) and I had a T-Rex 600 with BeastX. They are extremely responsive and the performance difference between my FB and FBL helis is enough to make me only go FBL for any future heli purchases. Seriously I love it. You'll have to fly one to feel the difference and the mCPX doesn't count
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
TJ Victor

Why not go flybarless?