Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Old N.I.B. Rossi 0.60 ABC

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Georges Payne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old N.I.B. Rossi 0.60 ABC

Hello all,

This is part two of my dad's find. The first part is this thread :[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10124215/tm.htm]Old N.I.B. ED Diesel Racer Mk. III engine[/link].

To get in context, my Dad recently bought part of a man's estate and it so happens that that man used to own a hobby shop in Arvida, Quebec, Canada. His name is Doris Galarneau and many men my age were taught to fly control line models by this man, in high school.

This second engine is a 0.60 Rossi. I know those are not rare but I was wondering what people here had to say about it. How about performance, reliability, history? The engine is still in the original box in a plastic bag. It is in pristine condition. Again we are not interested in selling it. Just curious about RC history.

Thank for any info you want to share!
Georges

Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Old N.I.B. Rossi 0.60 ABC

I thought I'd help keep the thread alive.
Anyway, that is a classic oldie for sure. Looks to be a late 1960's to 1970's vintage engine. It has a baffle on the piston and was made before Schnuerle ported engines became the dominant engine design. I think it was one of the first racing speed engines Rossi manufactured. I have seen a number of them as control line engines and not RC.
The problem was back then we didn't have the internet or world wide web, so people had to order those engines from Europe using mail or phone calls. I do not recall reading any engine reviews about it in the model airplane magazines during that period of time either. So usually no one in the USA really knew much about them.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM
djlyon

I think the carb is an add on. Didn't likely come with the engine. I have that engine new in the box. It was a common engine here in the 60s and 70s. It was very popular in control line carrier.

Denis
Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Georges Payne

ORIGINAL: djlyon
I think the carb is an add on. Didn't likely come with the engine.
I'll take a closer look at the carb and keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the replies!
Georges
Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 PM
coriolan

That look very much like your engine, 1970 vintage!
http://www.rojobcn.com/technic/avion/rossi60speed.htm
A nice find.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
djlyon

I just dug mine out of a cabinet. I probably bought it in about 65. Besides the venturi it has the exact same RC air bleed carb as yours. I forgot that it has been so long. I never ran it. As I remember more. The control line carrier guys used the 65 more often than the 60. The 60s were used more in free flight. The version you and I have was the latest. They put a carb in the box in hope that it would be used in RC also.

Denis