Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flyeagle F18F

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flyeagle F18F

Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Timo44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flyeagle F18F

Hello F18 Community - the last flights i was recognizing a leaking of my gear "air system"
pressure was decreasing about 1 bar within 5 Minutes
after checking the air - pipe system of the gear I noticed, that the left main gear circle
was leaking somewhere - due the gear was "in".

Today I disassembled the left gear - seems that the nipple is not sealed properly -
due to pressure with my fingures to the nipple it seems to leak as soon the system is pressurised.

Couldn't find out if the nipple is screwed or something . ..anyway now I added some
uhu 300 24 hour epoxy glue at the bottom of the nipple - hoping it's going to seal....

Does anyone of you can give me a hint how to seal the existing nipple ? - it seems there
is leaking between the nipple and the cylinder housing...
Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Timo44

Hello F18 Community - the last flights i was recognizing a leaking of my gear ''air system''
pressure was decreasing about 1 bar within 5 Minutes
after checking the air - pipe system of the gear I noticed, that the left main gear circle
was leaking somewhere - due the gear was ''in''.

Today I disassembled the left gear - seems that the nipple is not sealed properly -
due to pressure with my fingures to the nipple it seems to leak as soon the system is pressurised.

Couldn't find out if the nipple is screwed or something . ..anyway now I added some
uhu 300 24 hour epoxy glue at the bottom of the nipple - hoping it's going to seal....

Does anyone of you can give me a hint how to seal the existing nipple ? - it seems there
is leaking between the nipple and the cylinder housing...

Timo, the nipples are crewed/glued. If your's leaking I would suggest that you unscrew it and replace it for a new one. You should have a couple of them coming in the accessory package.

Here is how to proceed.

1. remove the retracts from the plane.
2. take the retract apart. You will have to work on the piston. Place the ram pushrod so that the piston will be to the opposite end of the nipple to be removed.
2. heat up the nipple slowly and gradually with a mini torch.
3. When you see the blue glue smoking it is the sign for stopping. Since the piston is in the opposite end of the ram, it should not get overheated and damaged from the heating process.
4. Use a vice to unscrew slowly the nipple, making sure that you actually work on the hex base and not the tip. CAREFUL HERE: if you rotate the nipple from the tip, you'll brake it and be in more trouble since you'll have to drill/retap. This is why I like to use a vice that is very stable and "grabby" for this job.
5. remove all the glue excess from the hole with a tap of the proper dimensions. If you believe that some crap has fallen inside the ram, just open it and clean it.
6. replace the nipple with the new one and a bead of hysol to make the securing and sealing

7. Enjoy your plane again...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Timo44

..thanx very much Oli for your hints -

I'll move on
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

So, does anyone feel I could fly this plane with a 34 lb Wren 160?
I would not load this plane up with alot of extra equipment

Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
olnico

Yes if you keep the plane light and go for a straight pipe
Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
salibaj

Hi,

I was late in oredering some Ashtek wires and plugs to do my extension leads. I was late because it seems that [link=http://ashtekelectronics.com/shop/]here[/link] do not stock them anymore. From wher I can buy some suitable extension leads for these high torque digital servos please. Also, I will appreciate what lenghts have been used.

Regards

Joseph
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM
alanjets

just come back from Dubai oli how do u fly in that heat
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
olnico

Simple answer:
I run every morning 30 minute to 1 hour in the desert and sleep with the A/C off in the room.
I got used to the heat...
Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Another going to enjoy the delights of the DSO
Old 10-09-2010, 11:47 AM
alanjets

well guys it finally flown had 15 to 17mph wind straight down the runway took off realy nice no jump and didnt use the flaps.Had the gear down for the first flight and so much drag with a perfect landing after 5 minutes with main tank and half filled saddle's with 2 litres left, with a merlin160 in pushin around 38lb. second flight take off was brill with no flaps again gear up had to re-trim not much.fly's realy good landing was very good.If u want it to go verticle go for a 45lb. cheers all for the build thread. what a difference a slight nose up makes
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Timo44

...OK the bird makes still a lot of fun
...got 35 flight on it (first gear - set) all stock and that on a gras track -
just the y- tube was replaced by original titan jet cat centralized pipe
gives a little bit more "push" from the P200.

last weekend the weather was just perfect to make this footage:

...greetings from southern germany...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwpNovx74HI

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM
heliman48

Hi Guys

It's been awhile , I have finally made time to close up the F-18 , It's been very interesting to read as always the info posted on the site in the builds that have been going on , the clips sent in are and have been the instrument in me getting back to getting things done , as for the 450 turbine its been received, ran & it runs like a bull quick & deadly . I purchased a new radio Futaba 12Z and like the new refinements they have made , for all of you flying the Fly Eagle your posts are fantastic , I have made quit a few modifications to the A/C and hope to have it ready to run before month end .

Cheers Nate / Edmonton AB / Canada
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM
alanjets

went flying this weekend here's a little video of the one of the take off with no flaps the merlin 160 has got loads of power.This plane fly's very good and im lovin it.the camera man was abit poo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSASy7VeOU

Here is a video of the flight and landing no flaps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJF4J0n_jG8
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 PM
heliman48

Alan

Nice Flight on second link , after 6.27 minutes you sure where lucky ( ran out of fuel ) ???? the A/C looks just great ! the weather was pretty good as well , what airport are you flying at ? weather here in Canada is about to change we are expecting snow any day now , Any way swinging gear today and ready to close up a few goodies in the cock pit area , and then ready to run the turbine . I ran the 450 this spring and I need to before year end just to remind my self of the Brut power . haha . any way your A/C flies good , it sure looks good in the air .

Cheers Nate / Canada / Edmonton AB
Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Swiss air force

Hello all !
Did some of you now if it is possible to made a twin turbine version of the 1/6 F-18F from Flyeagle ?
Thanks for your reply
Regards
Nick
Old 11-16-2010, 07:32 AM
alanjets

hi heliman where i fly is barkston heath its a RAF base in grantham uk.When i put fuel in i fill the main and half fill the saddles and i still have about 1 liter left in the main so plenty with the merlin 160
Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 PM
heliman48

Hi Guys

Well yesterday I did trials in the garage as in running the Turbine , Three runs keeping in mind -38.5 below C here in Alberta Canada so the heat was turned up !! Today balanced the A/C @ 170mm from leading edge as outlined by most , the weight came in as 46.0 lbs , I cut the nose off and will install the two ECU batteries & a little weight , I am awaiting two new canopy's from FE . as I destroyed the original by trying to speed up the drying process . Its a small price to pay !

I am going to start to try and find different springs as I believe most of gear problems are from the cylinders bottoming out due to the weight , I know some of you use the Yellow gear and they seem to look like a better choice , If there is any gear better than the kit supplies Please let me know .

Cheers Nate
Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 AM
alanjets

I havnt had any problems with my gear i just took them apart and put some light silicon oil in them ,and they work ok. When i take off i have to retract straight away if not the air against the nose wheel stopes it from goin up but if u slow the plane down in flight and then retract it, that also works
Old 11-25-2010, 04:27 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: alanjets

I havnt had any problems with my gear i just took them apart and put some light silicon oil in them ,and they work ok. When i take off i have to retract straight away if not the air against the nose wheel stopes it from goin up but if u slow the plane down in flight and then retract it, that also works
Hi Alan.

The cure to this is to transform the rear brace strut into an air ram:

Machine the white nylon tube end to be able the insert an o'ring:

Then block the end of the rear brace with a short aluminium rod and drill/tap a hole to insert an air nipple:

Only one air line is necessary in this case, since you want the ram to only help when the gear goes up. The line is derived from the "up" nose retract line:

This way I have 100% success on the nose gear retraction in any condition.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 PM
alanjets

cheers Oli thats a realy great idea thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
heliman48

Oli

Nice retro fit , Great Idea ! Thanks for the photos ,

Cheers Nate .
Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
alanjets

Done the mod Oli works perfect and nothing's going to stop that leg going up and thanks for all your input on this thread Hope everyone have a great new year and lets hope good flying weather
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 AM
alanjets

here's another link to another flight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFsnFlidJc
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
matten

Hello,

I am building this large F18 arf jet for a friend, but the elevator control system is a bit diferent from the ones i saw in page 10, I an aluminium mounting frame for TWO servos, can anyone having thos set up can post a picture, the rudders also have two servos each in a wood support, are two servos needed for rudders too?

Regards,
Richard
Old 01-27-2011, 04:15 PM
matten

Here are some pictures of what I have , two servo mount version for the stabs, does anyone have this setup?

Regards,
Richard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95148.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1554256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32574.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1554257  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.