Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Spectra Module Potential Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hitec Spectra Module Potential Problem?

I've been flying a Spectra Module in a Futaba 9C for some months now with not a single problem. I recently flew a new airplane and everything was going well. My flying buddy asked me why the lights on the module were blinking (he could see the back of the radio). I went ahead and landed the plane and did some checking and it seems that the servos movement causes the red and blue light to blink on and off. These are a different brand of servos I had been trying out on a couple of 72mhz planes and they have worked real well for me. Is this some type of interference caused by a cheap servo or what? Anyone experienced the blue and red light on the module blinking on and off? On every other plane I have flown since I have seen that the red light stays solid red as it should. This is with Futaba and Hitec servos of different types.

Thanks, Tim
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec Spectra Module Potential Problem?

ORIGINAL: Texastbird I've been flying a Spectra Module in a Futaba 9C for some months now with not a single problem. I recently flew a new airplane and everything was going well. My flying buddy asked me why the lights on the module were blinking (he could see the back of the radio). I went ahead and landed the plane and did some checking and it seems that the servos movement causes the red and blue light to blink on and off. These are a different brand of servos I had been trying out on a couple of 72mhz planes and they have worked real well for me. Is this some type of interference caused by a cheap servo or what? Anyone experienced the blue and red light on the module blinking on and off? On every other plane I have flown since I have seen that the red light stays solid red as it should. This is with Futaba and Hitec servos of different types. Thanks, Tim
The benefit of Hitec AFHSS telemetry, those lights indicate that your Servos are either faulty or your receiver battery /ESC is not capable of supplying sufficient power for that mix/number.

LED Status Card - What the colours/combinations are indicating.
. Digital .pdf copy which can be printed and inserted as a page in manual or extra cards made.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Texastbird

Yeah, thanks. I changed out batteries and switches and no change. But I hooked up several spare Hitec servos and the lights stayed normal. So it must be a feedback problem with the EXI servos. I guess I will be looking for some good digital MG servos for this one.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:06 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are getting the low voltage alarm indicating your RX battery is low. Could be low in general while flying or low when you manuver and the servos load down your batteries. If you had an Aurora 9 TX you would hear a beeping also and see the Rx voltage on your Tx display.

Jim D
Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Texastbird

I don't think it is low voltage. The blue light is flashing also. When I plug Hitec servos in the receiver and cycle them it doesn't flash. I can't find anything in the Hitec manual that describes what I am seeing.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 AM
JIMF14D

Well I have the module on a Hitec Eclipse 9 so it may not work the same on your TX. But red and blue flashing is range check power down on my system. You seem to have a very stange condtion if it only comes with different servos.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Texastbird

Yeah, exactly. I am afraid of those servos now, even though I have been using some on a plane flying 72mhz with no problems that were apparent.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
boberos

Spectra modules must be modified by adding acapacitor & retuning before being used with a Futaba TX.
Thiswill provide a better RF link.
This work must be done at a private repair shop as Hit or Fut will not do it.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

spectra 2.4G modules have to be modified?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2 spectra 2.4G modules have to be modified?
Negative, but they should be updated from time to time so as to take full advantage of the ongoing enhancements relating to the telemetry. e.g :
- Low Battery Warnings - Minimum settings recommendedfor both the Aurora TX & Spectra 2.4GHz module - which are set separately..
Telemetry - Instruction Sheets & User Guide.
Telemetry - Battery Voltage via SPC for EP Models
Telemetry - Flying Range
Telemetry - HTS-Voice Telemetry Voice Announcing System
Telemetry - HTS-Navi AFHSS 2.4GHz Wireless USB Telemetry Receiver
Telemetry - Range test Using Segway & GPS - Video - Remarkable 2100+ft not only through large obstacles but also with Heli sitting in ground effect.
Telemetry - Screens & Displays
Telemetry - Full installation in Skylink 50cc - Video( 6 min 29 sec)
Telemetry - Screens & Displays - Video
Telemetry - Download Demo 2D Graphic Flight displays of an actual flight. NB: GPS updates every .5 sec and will be fairly accurate for level flight but not dive speed since it is using ground coordinates for the calculation.
Telemetry - Compatibility & Open Source - status
Telemetry System - Spectra Pro installed Alternate TX Connections.

more at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
rudder turns

Hi Guy,I have been using the Hitec 2.4 modular in both my Futaba 9C and 8u radios,The Aurora radio does show you the receiver battery power.In my Futaba radios,If you have a bad receiver battery the transmitter modular beeps 3 times,pauses than beeps again 3 times continuously,with both lights blinking,giving you plenty of time to land safely. thanks Ed
Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Texastbird

I have the plane that I was having the problem with flying fine now. It was one or maybe two bad servos causing the voltage to spike down. If I hadn't have been using the Spectra module, then I might have lost a plane not knowing I had an intermittant problem. Thanks Hitec.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
rudder turns

Hi Boberos, What are you talking about???? It works fine out of the box,for me and about 8 others also using the 2.4 hitec modular, in Futaba radios in our club. Thanks Ed