Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

RCM Flybaby Laser cut kit?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 AM
JIMARRINGTON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCM Flybaby Laser cut kit?

Does anyone know of a laser cutter that cuts kits for the 80ish size RCM plans Bowers Flybaby? I have the plans and wanted to save some time by having the parts cut for me.

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: RCM Flybaby Laser cut kit?

Jim, checkout www.nationalbalsa.com he can cut 12" X 27" balsa, lite ply and up to 1/4" 5 ply birch.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim:

Nonile idea you have therre, but I thhink folks have had their 1:1 kit of the Bee laser cut all ready. Not the enlarged version you are thinking of. Keep going.

Wm.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 AM
rgunder

Hi Jim. My brother and I own Laser Edge Cutters and we build up short kits from plans pretty regularly. Working from the plans is a little more labor intensive than working from existing CAD files, because we have to scan the plans, convert them to CAD, and then clean up and extract the parts that you want cut, but the end result is worth the wait. The CAD conversion includes squaring up slots for stringers and spars, and making sure that all of the formers are symmetric, which is not always the case with a set of hand drawn plans. If you know how to use CAD, you can save yourself some money - if you don't know how to use CAD we can do that for you, although it does increase the cost of the kit.

If you are interested in learning some more, please check out our website [link=http://www.laseredgecutters.com/service/materials/materials-for-model-airplanes]http://www.laseredgecutters.com/service/materials/materials-for-model-airplanes[/link], or send me a PM.

I've always loved the look of the Flybaby - simple yet classic lines. Good luck with the build.

Rich
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
runninghorses1
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Dynaflite 1/4 scale Fly Baby Kit.  84in Wingspan.