Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Same charger, bigger battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 AM
hpiracr28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same charger, bigger battery

so i think im just going to get a 9.6v 5000mah nimh battery. my stock one that came with my bandit vxl is about shot now, plus i need to upgrade a little. my charger that came with the bandit im still gonna use. on the charger it says for the 8.4v 3000mah battery, charge for 8 hours to get the full 3000mah. i did that and then i started charging for 12-14 hours for some reason (prob not a good idea) and i think thats what made the battery crap. so when i get this new bigger battery, how long do i have to charge it to get the full 9.6v 5000mah power? i dont want to overcharge and ruin my new batt.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Same charger, bigger battery

buy a cheap peak charger.
cheap ass transformers suck plain and simple, and will damage batteries in the long run.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Slo-V Flyer

I hate to throw hobbyking at you, but that site, or hobbypartz locally, will sell you a lipo/Nimh charger and power supply for $50-$60 and that will be a much better investment if you plan on being in the hobby for any amount of time.

As for how long to charge the new battery, look at the provided charger's charge rate. It will probably say something like input xxx volts, output xxx volts and xxx ma (milliamps). Take the milli amps (most likely 300 ma output if it takes 10 hours to charge a 3000 mah battery) and divide the battery's mah by it. So for example, battery capacity = 5000 mah, charge rate is 0.3 amps (300 milliamps, or 300 ma), do this: 5000 / 300 = 16.7 hours. So that means you want to charge the battery for 15-17 hours depending on how run down it is after use.

Of course that is insanely long to have to wait, so invest in a good peak charger (as recommended above). Thunder AC6 or the other Turnigy or other HK clones. You could move up to lipo then as these chargers do those too. And lipos can be had for $30 shipped.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
4goodbuys2

When I first made the journey from nitro to electric brushless, I thought that I wouldn't want lipo so I bought 8 nimh 3000 mah and up and I wish I just made the lipo jump from the first and it would have saved me alot of money in the long run , today I made the lipo jump and I bought a
dynamite passport 6s ac dc charger with built in balancer for $34 and $5 shipping.
From experience take your time and find a used name brand charger on ebay cheap.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

those chargers are total crap. If you buy a better charger instead of a new battery your old battery will perform better anyway.