Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

30cc Edge 540 build

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

30cc Edge 540 build

Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 PM
bigjer12341

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

As far as using the stock muffler goes it does fit in the cowl. It leaves about 1/4" clearance from muffler to cowl, but you have to trim nore of the underneath of the cowl off to allow muffler tip to clear and vent outside cowl. Using the jtec pitts style you pretty much just have to trim for cylinder head to clear. As far as function goes stock muffler will work fine but it will not look as clean when finished using jtec or similar pitts style wrap around muffler. I will be ordering a Jtec for it eventually no rush to get her in the air as the Cleveland weather makes flying no fun.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Pittts should lower the dbs to ,I'm not airborn .where do you live in Ohio bigjer
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM
RadioPhlyer
My Feedback: (3)

Mine Showed up today

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

My first AW plane. If this thing flies as good as it looks . I'm gonna have to get more.

I'm very interested in this thread to see what others are doing with their builds.

Randy
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
bigjer12341

Bladebender
I live in Elyria about 30 minutes west of Cleveland.
I had a a couple hours free today so I decided to install fuel tank and lines. I just had to test it all out and make sure their were no leaks. I am impressed with the DLE30cc tons of power it will sling shot this plane through the air with ease. This is my first gas plane and love it, after I test ran everything no mess! I filled tank up about 3/4 and it ran for 23minutes while I slowly worked throttle. I also tested out a Life battery from EPbuddy.comwith the ignition system. It is light weight and well made 2300Mah 6.6v. It was fully charged before I fired the DLE up. After 23 minutes of run time it only required 503Mah to put it back to a full charge. Looks likeatleast3-4flights on one charge. Using a cell pro10 itonly takes15-20 minutes from dead to full. It was only 26.99 may get another to power the reciver.Heres a pic of what I did today, feel free to include your 2 cents if you guys see somthing you dont like or any ideas that may or may not be helpful! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig12488.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	1529521  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM
bemeson

Bigjer,
You are moving right along. It looks great. I was wondering did you run a regulator from your life battery to your ignition. I did not see one and DLE ignitions usually dont like more than 6 volts.

Well I have applied my graphics to my plane, attached the landing gear, and installed the aileron servos tonight. My camera was out of juice, so I will post the pics tomorrow night if I get a few minutes. I will start with the graphics first.

It took me a bit of time to get the graphics right on the top of the wings. I attemped to place the graphics parallel to the leading edge and to move them back approximately two inches, but this did not work. When I attached the wings to the plane the graphics did not look good. I actually ended up installing the graphic approximately 3" off the leading edge near the fuse and around 2 1/8 near the wing tip. They now look pretty good. The supplied graphics from Aeroworks are a little different because you apply the clear application material on the top of the graphic and reuse the material for the other side.

The way I did it was I layed the graphic on the table face up and then applied the clear application material on the top of the graphic. I started working from the center out. I got all the air bubbles out and then removed the backing. I applied a mostly water and a little detergent mixture on the wing to aid in moving around the graphic prior to placing it down forever. The graphics layed flat and took very little work to get all the bubbles out. Remember don"t mess up the clear application material....you need to use it on the other side. The graphics appear to be good quality, but time will tell if they come off after flying them for a while.

I then moved to the fuse...I decided to use my company name on the side, so I did not use the AW graphic on the side. I got my grahics from B and E graphics. They were fast and did exactly what I asked. I tried to match the font that AW used. It is close enough for my liking. I did use some of the white lettering underneath my company name because I thought it looked good. Their graphics have the traditional wax application paper on the top of each graphic.

I did not place any graphics on the tail yet because I am not sure what I will be using. I am not that fond of the Quick Build graphic.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM
bemeson

ATTACHING GEAR

Next, I began working on the landing gear. Like I said, check your building addendum sheet. There is a little change in the build. The landing gear cover is allready attached to the plane when you get it, so I took it off. It appeared as though their was a slight CAD mistake when they cut the fuse out. The area where the cover attaches to the fuse was allready cut out. They then glued the circles back in and cut them in half. At first I was a little concerned, but as I went on it was no big deal. I will explain that later in the post.

Next I added a little Epoxy to sure up the little circle that had alleady been CA'd inside the fuse. I let it dry prior to attaching the gear with the supplied hardware. One thing that made me very happy is you can see the aluminum angle brackets that beef up the landing gear. The are bolted in with allens and lock nuts.

I placed the gear on and secured the allens with a little blue loctite to make sure they did not come loose. I tighted them down and then placed the cover over the gear and got everything lined up the way I wanted it. I then marked the two holes on the landing gear the coincided with the holes that secured the landing gear cover. I then removed the cover and started drilling pilot holes with a very small bit. I gradually enlarged the hole as I went along. One thing that suprised me was how damn hard the carbon fiber gear was. I have very sharp bits and it took a bit of drilling to get through the gear. I guess that is a good thing.

I then placed the cover back on an reapplied the it. It worked well, but the supplied screws were a tad soft for my liking. The heads were quite easily stripped. That is why I said start small on the hole and gradually work to enlarge it a bit. I wanted to make sure the screws did not come out. I did harden the holes with CA to make sure they gripped in the wood.

I think the little half holes that were glued in will more than do the job, because the landing gear will keep the circles from pulling out and the cover can not push the holes deeper into the fuse. The landing gear prevents that from occurring. I bet the next batch of planes will have this little goof up fixed. It was no big deal though.

The holes on the landing gear are allready offset, so you can not attach the gear backwards. I will add some additional details tomorrow about the servo install and I hope to have pictures. I can tell you one thing about those little Power HD servos. Man they are powerful and quick. More tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 AM
airborne2.4

ORIGINAL: bigjer12341

Bladebender
I live in Elyria about 30 minutes west of Cleveland.
I had a a couple hours free today so I decided to install fuel tank and lines. I just had to test it all out and make sure their were no leaks. I am impressed with the DLE30cc tons of power it will sling shot this plane through the air with ease. This is my first gas plane and love it, after I test ran everything no mess! I filled tank up about 3/4 and it ran for 23minutes while I slowly worked throttle. I also tested out a Life battery from EPbuddy.com with the ignition system. It is light weight and well made 2300Mah 6.6v. It was fully charged before I fired the DLE up. After 23 minutes of run time it only required 503Mah to put it back to a full charge. Looks like atleast 3-4 flights on one charge. Using a cell pro10 itonly takes15-20 minutes from dead to full. It was only 26.99 may get another to power the reciver. Heres a pic of what I did today, feel free to include your 2 cents if you guys see somthing you dont like or any ideas that may or may not be helpful! Thanks
Is this your battery?
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...vt90fos9hsja00
Old 12-03-2010, 01:47 PM
5150flyer

FYI...for you guys using a DLE30 with the stock "muffler". It isn't a muffler and you will be at about 103 db (pain range) at 10' using the AMA test standards with a Xoar 19x8. I would find a good pitts muffler before you cut the cowl. It will save your ears, your field and look a lot better.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
bigjer12341

Yes thats the battery! Seems like a nice battery. At the moment I do not have a voltage regulator installed. A friend of mine has been flying without one using a life bat. on the DLE ignition for over a year now with out any problems. I may buy one for security when she's ready for flight. As far as the DLE manifold (aka the muffler) goes I dont feel as if it is much louder compared to other pitts style mufflers, I was acually surprised by this. But pitts muffler looks alot nicer!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
bladebender

have flown a few gas planes just going to throw this out there but I would never put a fuel filter on my plane, just a nother thing to plug or restict fuel flow,and it will happen, Filter the fuel when you fill it . If your running that motor on the plane put the wings on to keep down vibration down and i just run my on the ground to check it out then fly it . what kind of oil you useing and how much 32% 40%. would realy like to your AW 540 fly
Old 12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
bladebender

Forgot to say realy like that plane and thanks for all the pictures. was flying my EF yak this fall and my tank moved about 2inches forward but again I velcro my tanks in, so i can change out the fuel lines but with av gas you don't have all that ethenal . never could spell
Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 PM
bigjer12341

Hey thanks! When II ran it I did pop the wings on her, I could not resist! I think I will move the filter to the outlet on my fill tank one less thing to leak or plug. This is my firts gasser and going off what little I know and AW instructions. If the tank is clean and fuel is filtered prior to filling it should be clean. Plus carb does have a screen in it . I still need to order servos and extensions but most likley will wait till after xmas. IIts all pretty much ready to go other than servos and running servos extensions, pull pull set up, and final adjustments. I want to get a aluminum fuel line tee and get a different filler dot not to sure I like the one that it came wirh.
This weekend I am planning on starting tobuild a set of skies for her. I made a set for my contender and found snow to be fun taking off and landing on.
As far as oil goes I am breaking it in on lawn boy like DLE recommends and afterwards going to synthetic. I have been using the STHIL syn. inl my 2 stroke chain saw,red max leaf blower and snowblower for the last 6 years with great results. I left my Toro snow blower sit with gas in it last year (Bad me!) and it fired right up andran great today. The snowblower is 6 years old and still has same plug in it as well as leaf blower. I also like the belray hr-1 syn as well, its a few bucksmore I had ran it in my Honda cr 250 at 100:1 with no issues at all. I may try a few differentones to see what works the best. Any recommendations?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 PM
bigjer12341

Oh lawn boy gen 2 is mixed at 32:1, if I use the sthl syn may go to 40:1, 50:1, I read other posts where guys say they have been running that ams oil saber at over 100:1 Even with the lawn boy 32:1 the engine runs very well with a ton of power and is very reponsive. I would imagine a higher quality synthetic would run better at 32:1 than the lawn boy.A seized motor would possibly spell disaster and under lubricating atthose costs does not makesense to me to pick up a small amount of preformance. Ill probablly stay around 40:1 in the future. I hve heard alot of people complaining about DLEplugs. I ran a tank on the bench and in the plane with no complaints but just ordered a coupleNGK cm-6's off ebay for $1.99 off ebay sure beats 9.99 been seeing for the DLE plug. I have always had goodluck with NGK's.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 PM
bemeson

I got another few hours to work on my plane tonight. I installed the elevators, elevator servos, and control rods. It was really nice using the AW turn buckles. That made getting them adjusted really easy. Everything went in with out a hitch. I mentioned I would talk about the Power HD servos DS090M that I installed. I tested them all prior to placing them in the plane. They are fast, center well, and seem to have great resolution. They seem a little bit louder than other digital servos that I have used before, but man are they quick. The accepted Futaba arms like I was told and everything installed very easy. The servos come with a variety of arms, hardware, grommets, and screws. I decided to use DUBRO super strenght arms because they seemed stiffer and I just like them. I took some photos and I have posted them for your viewing pleasure.

I took some overall photos so that everyone could see the lines of the plane. The close ups of the inside of the fuse to show how the plane is built. I took a picture of the gear from the inside so that everyone could see the half circles that I spoke about when I installed the gear. You can also see the alum bracing for the gear.

I hope I will have some more time this weekend to work on a few more items. Let me know what you all think.

Name:	lj23049.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1529970   Click image for larger version

Name:	he97123.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1529971   Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57179.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1529972   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82261.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1529973   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec88711.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1529974   Click image for larger version

Name:	yt61143.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1529975   Click image for larger version

Name:	ze87166.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1529976   Click image for larger version

Name:	ga78168.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1529977  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sd42819.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1529978   Click image for larger version

Name:	tj73939.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1529979   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv40286.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1529980  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
bemeson

Here are pictures. Something went wrong in the last post
Brian
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 PM
bemeson

Well I will try again

Name:	Sq48402.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1529982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49932.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1529983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53520.jpg
Views:	104
ID:	1529984  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
bemeson

I am not sure why its not working...sorry guys

Name:	mk26265.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1529985   Click image for larger version

Name:	bw72664.jpg
Views:	123
ID:	1529986   Click image for larger version

Name:	ej14294.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1529987   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb80353.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	1529988   Click image for larger version

Name:	ju14288.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1529989  
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 AM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could one of you guys that allready have the plane measure the wing root cordwise length for me? and also the length ofthe wing? I need it to decide on which size of wingbags to order for the plane.... thanks..

Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
RadioPhlyer
My Feedback: (3)

HEY!

Thanks great pics.

R
Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 AM
nikon44

flypilot, AW makes some wing bags as well http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=273
Old 12-04-2010, 04:14 PM
bemeson

I just got done putting the hinges in the rudder with epoxy. The rudder holes were drilled straight and true, but I enlarged an area near the hinge point. I did this to make sure when the rudder is attached to the plane, I have as small a gap as possible. I am really dont like using covering to seal the hinges. Maybe its better said that I really do not have a successful technique for this yet. If someone does than please let me know. I did install the control horns on first just to make things easier on my self later. I included some pictures and I hope they upload better than the others. I also included a picture of the servos I am using. I hope to install the rudder to the plane this evening or tomorrow if I dont go flying.

Name:	qo39854.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1530287   Click image for larger version

Name:	kf14168.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1530288   Click image for larger version

Name:	rx60216.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1530289   Click image for larger version

Name:	yr47491.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1530290   Click image for larger version

Name:	lx21428.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1530291   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar10615.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1530292  
Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nikon44

flypilot, AW makes some wing bags as well http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=273
Yes I know, but I really need someone to measure the wing for me as I have these on hand at the local hobbyshop and The aeroworks one is several thousand miles away

So please anyone

Old 12-04-2010, 05:30 PM
airborne2.4

Hey bemeson, where did you purchase the servos?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 PM
bemeson

My wife got me the servos when she was Hong Kong.....Her factory is near the HD power factory. She picked them up there. I think they are pretty nice. If I was a huge 3D'r maybe I would have gone for the 7985 hitecs. You can get them at Mile High RC and Redwing RC here in the states as well. They are around 28.00 each I believe. The only problem is they use Futaba servo horns. They give you some, but I had to buy the rudder horn since I only have servo horns for Hitec.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
bemeson

I attached the rudder to the plane tonight. I attached some photos to see how it looks. I use Epoxy to attach them just because I have heard gorilla glue sometimes does not cure when air does not get to it. I got it from a trusted source, so I will follow his instruction. I will try to attach the rudder pull pull system here in a bit.

Name:	Fd92738.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1530331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81468.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1530332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14818.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1530333  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.