Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HBX, Who else owns one??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 AM
G!NhO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HBX, Who else owns one??

You may have a chance of it cogging like hell.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:02 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey now im not the only Australian YAY lol

u cant re-use the old gear from the stock motor, normally the gear has a locking screw in it that clamps on the flat surface of the motor. look for a tamiya 19t pinion gear, thay come in a pack of 19t & 18t.... 18t is useless for these cars

when u fit the gear u need to dummy fit the motor & check the gear position. to do this remove the cover from the otherside of the chassis push motor all the way into the motor hole & look in the inspection hole & make shure that the gears are allighned proplary, the gear should sit flush with the other gear. ie no over hang.

Most of us have been using 380 core brushless motors & with the bonzers gearing & wheels u cant go over 3300kv or use a pinion higher than 19t, otherwise it does not have enuff torque to get off the line. so... not much of a upgrade if it dosent go

But if u have the full size motor it might work.... dont think anyone has tryed it yet
what brand is it??? & how manny amps is the ESC????

oh keep in mind u need a lipo battery for it to preform correctly otherwise its like running unledded in a topfuel drag car

hey new car... what ya getting???
Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 AM
492kw

Hey hey!

man its good to hear someone with a bit of life!! ok... so I decided to go to a hobby shop and just asked what I can do... and got the parts you mentioned... so its all fixed...

my current issue is that its cogging... but...

my previous setup:
new car, stock motor, stock everything... bought 4200mah from over priced Hobbyone (that was 2 years ago now)
All runs fine...
left the car for about a year... fixed up a few broken parts
running ok... but it cogs...
my point is before anyone upgrades it had been cogging
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVibKTE-DQ8

ok... back to my current problem... it cogs... i assume its battery = lipo

so i have some on order... i should get them start of next week!

I don't know what are the 380 core bushless... i only know about Kv ratings and T.T ratings...
My upgrade motor is 5.5T-3650-6000Kv
EZrun series
60A+P-card (ESC 60amps)

Is that not good then? as you said you can't go above 3300Kv and mines 6000... but i still need a lipo just to see if it runs smoothly... sigh... the waiting game

full size motor? i'm assuming the 380 core brushless is not a full size motor? that how i understand it... but correct me if i'm wrong... again i'm very noob at this... and this is the first upgrade ever on anything thing... had no idea what to get or what to look for...

new car... i was referring to a 1/16th brushless selling on ebay for $130... with lipo it claims to do 110km/hr
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-1-16-HSP-...ht_1480wt_1139
anyways, gtg, talk soon
Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 AM
phmaximus

lol, the 380 core are the 1/12 motors are made bigger with cooling fins and have the 1/10 screw spacing and are 50mm long
Like this one

easy way to tell them apart is the cooling fins

Dont worry yours is the bigger motor, so it might work on 11.1v lipo, its worth a shot... if no go.. get a lower kv motor and keep the other for a touring car or something els

oh can see from your vid, the motor is drawing too much from the radio gear lol
Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 AM
phmaximus

Update on mine,

I now happy with how the buggy sits, should be more stable at high speeds *waiting on rear shocks to come
here are what the shock towers look like on my buggy & bonzer, still need shocks for bonzer

oh 492kw Dont know if u know but the bonzer & buggy are basickly the same, but because the buggy has smaller wheels u can use a higher KV rating. here is a old video of it running a 380 3900kv motor on 11.1v. as u can see in it full throttle is uncontrollable, back then it was good for around 85km/h
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNlVuntoDg[/youtube]
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 AM
492kw

wow that's really quick... but that's with 11.1v lipo so i can imagine that being quite quick just for that reason alone... i gotTurnigy 4000mAh 2S 30C hardcase pack(its only 7.4v) on order so that would be an upgrade... again i have never had anything but the 4200mah nimh... nor have i tried anything lipo... so i have no expectations... i'm assuming the lipo should firstly give enough power to not make it cog, which is my only real concern at the moment. secondly, able to push the car to go quicker then stock setup.

a question i recently got is that with the 6000Kv motor... does that mean my acceleration is crap (prob no wheel spin) but i get to a higher top speed? or its just so high that i'll never see the top speed on a straight?

again that's some awesome setup you got there... where you get your parts from? i don't know where to get stuff to fix the truck.

I'll make a video after it had been fixed and doing some proper speeds!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:31 AM
phmaximus

well its going to be trial & error. the motor u have has alot more torque than the ones i use so it might be ok on 7.4v, but if it still clogs on 7.4v i would maby think about getting lower kv motor or lastly a 11.1v battery. but if u use a 11.1v battery solder the ESC fan into the BEC or run it from the recivers power plug.

When u get the setup right it will be stupidly fast, with bucketloads of torque, my gess is that it will either spin the wheels allthe way to top speed or pull wheelies.

might even be worth getting a cheap & nasty 11.1v lipo & see how it goes

Do u know all about the dangers of lipo's & how to keep them safe???

Ive got all my parts from ebay, its 10 times cheaper than my local hobby store
Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 AM
powerhouse4u

My bonzer has been sitting on the shelf for quite some time now. Then a few weeks back a friend of mine asked me to come along on a crawler-session to have a look on what it was all about. Sure...but I can not just come along to have a look, I need to drive as well.
But I had nothing...so I took my Bonzer, locked both diffs and found 4 dampers long enought and rebuild the chassi from MT to crawler. I also included a HPI gearbox for a smooth reducing. Here is a short video of it, [link=http://vimeo.com/15709149]Bonzer Crawler[/link]
I must say I had a blast with it and it got me hooked. So more mods are on its way
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 AM
phmaximus

he he nice, we are making ours faster & ur making yours slower. lol
Whats going on with the suspension, doesent seem to have much travel & looks a tad stiff, in 00:05 i noticed one wheel lifts of the ground from that small bump, might be worth looking into that & its problary worth thining out the tyres for more sidewall flex. only other thing i can recomend is remove the front bumper bar & support & fit the carbon support like on the rear of mine then it wont get stuck climbing walls.

keep us updated, nice video too

here is a pic of that carbon fiber thing

oh oh 1 more tip, i found with the universial drive shafts & the alloy C hubs & knuckles alloweds them to turn sharper check this
Old 10-16-2010, 06:38 AM
G!NhO

Awesome crawler, is it hard to fit the hpi gearbox and what do i need to make it fit and work?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 AM
powerhouse4u

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

he he nice, we are making ours faster & ur making yours slower. lol
Whats going on with the suspension, doesent seem to have much travel & looks a tad stiff, in 00:05 i noticed one wheel lifts of the ground from that small bump, might be worth looking into that & its problary worth thining out the tyres for more sidewall flex.
The reason for it looking so stiff is due to it only has dampers in the front (not enough power to puch back) and to hard springs in the rear. I have recently bought springs to a traxxas slash and this really does the trick.
The tires work really well once I grind the "spikes", do want to keep this an a reel budget-level...I have also removed the insert foam and drilled a couple of holes in the rim to let the air out faster.

As for the HPI-gearbox...you will only need to remove a little plastic from the chassi. Took me around 10 minutes with a dremel. Will post some pics as well.

Moore to come guys!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:21 AM
powerhouse4u

Needed to drill out som plastics on the side to fit the HPI reudction gear box. Running with a 2x27t motor

Some flex, but good will be better

No springs in the front and to stiff in the rear. This will be helped with nex springs

Doesn´t look that good, but man it can crawl
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM
G!NhO

Awesome! I also use the xl5 esc and what turn motor do you have?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:11 AM
phmaximus

Nice work, kinda reminds me of the beast's from "junkyard wars" not pritty to look at but thay do the job.
it would be cool to get a unpainted bonzer body & paint it like its all rusted & banged up, & paint the wheels so thay look dirty with dirt & brake dust.

I like it, & it doesnot matter if it gets scratched, nice work, keep posting

here is one that would show thw dirt, its SYNCRONIZED77 car. (old member that had some great idears)
the case of CD's and packing tape was, just shy of 4 1/4 inches

Here is another way of making the towers
[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/301923/Db86195.jpg[/img]

Speeking of crawlers have u seen this from page 81?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM
powerhouse4u

ORIGINAL: G!NhO

Awesome! I also use the xl5 esc and what turn motor do you have?
Running with a 2x27t motor and it works great. With a 5000 mah 2s lipo I can crawl for about 30 minutes and it goes up to around 40 degrees celcius. Pretty ok.
Will do some more mods and som live pictures, will keep you guys posted
Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 AM
phmaximus

Update on my buggy,

How with the shock towers ive keept the 70mm shocks on the front & the 90mm ones for the rear should arive soon. by going to the 90mm ive only gained 9mm of extra travel over the 70mm ones, but now im using the inner shock mounting points so that has given me a fair bit more total suspension travel (maby 2-4mm need to do the maths) & a slightly stiffer ride & slightly higher ride hight. Im aiming to have the arms close to horizontal, I hope this works. When thay come i have the fun part of filling them with oil & thay come with 3 springs so might take a bit to find out what one works best.

here is the spec's

Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 AM
phmaximus

How that arrived yay, I filled them with the same oil as the front (losi 30) in the front i used 3 hole pistons but the rear ive used the 2 hold ones & fitted the softer silver springs front & rear. so far so good just need to stop it from spining out under braking.

my buggy runs 11.1v and ive found a great 7.4v battery that ive ordered hopefully if with with out to much grinding, im going to have to extend the battery holder arms to get it to fit its 166mm long!!!

have a sus
Continuous discharge rate: 25C
Burst Rate : 30C
Capacity: 4000mah
Voltage: 7.4v
Cells : 2
Size : 166mm * 42mm * 18-22mm
Weight: 244g

Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 AM
phmaximus

oh found this to LOL im getting one next week for the bonzer & revo lol. RPM RPM70690 Dirty Danglers Saddle-Sore Pink

RPM Dirty Danglers are a cool, funny and unique way to show off your pride in your vehicle. Everyone knows when someone says their vehicle “has balls†they mean power. Well, with a set of RPM Dirty Danglers mounted on your vehicle, when you tell someone your truck has balls, you’ll mean it – literally! RPM Dirty Danglers look like a set of real testicles. Are you laughing yet? Yes, they look like mini testicles and are designed to mount to the back of almost any vehicle with a zip tie, screw, wire or chain (mounting hardware not included). We even go so far as to offer them in different color choices. They are available in Saddle-Sore Pink, Burnout Black, Cocky Chrome, D.N.F. Blue, & Ballsy Brass!

RPM Dirty Danglers also make a great addition to a key chain for those that want to show off their balls all the time! Dirty Danglers are not sold with mounting hardware so a separate chain or split ring will be needed. Additionally, RPM Dirty Danglers can be made into earrings or a necklace charm for a great gag gift.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 AM
phmaximus

hey where did everyone go?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 AM
powerhouse4u

What on earth do you mean? We are still around!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:46 AM
phmaximus

Hey guys... ive been busy making a battery guard, for this long lipo i got for it. With any luck it should be somewhat impact resistant & shoud stop the battery from exploding with a hard hit.

Its made from a peice of tin that is used for installing car stereos, its been bent, cut, filed, primed then painted.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 AM
bluefisherking

Nice work - very dedicated!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 AM
phmaximus

cheerz m8, I hope it works []
Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 AM
rtenzo02

I would like to put some 2.8 wheels with some imex tires that measure 5.5"-6" O.D on a bonzer . I currently have a 21 tooth pinion and tamiya sport tuned gears, custom widened suspension, 90mm shocks, custom shock towers, NovaK Reactor ESC, 27 turn stock motor. I don't want a rock crawler, I would like decent speed if possible. Cooling fan would be no problem if needed. Also wondering if anyone has ever looked into modifying the tranny to fit a larger spur gear for the gearing problems I've been reading about. This is just a project I'm trying to complete for fun. Any help would be great, thanks ! 
Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 AM
phmaximus

Honestly im supprised the motor has lasted??? That is very tall gearing for a bonzer.
Me & lots of other people from this forum and have found that most brushed motors burn up, Its neer impossible to get the bonzer much better than stock with brushed motors.

Because of the gearing problem, the best way to get reliable speed in these things are brushless motors with lipo batterys.
The best part is, in general brushless motors have higher RPM & a hell of a lot more torque than brushed motors.
The ezrun 35a systems are very cheap now, and thay are great providing u stick between 2200kv-3300kv

hummm 2.8" wheels, thay might look a bit weird.... What body is on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.