Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas/oil mixture for gas engines

Old 08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Gas/oil mixture for gas engines

Where the Capt may have a point is with ethanol/methanol gasoline blends. Ethanol and methanol are hygroscopic, meaning the collect and hold water. There may well be some conditions where that quality could generate rust and corrosion with engines stored for a long period of time. Those flying once a month or less would probably never experience any rust because the amount of residual oil remaining in the engine after flying would easily coat the engine and tide it over for some time. Those putting an engine away for several months or more might want to consider the after run oil. I've seen engines that have sat for 4-6 months that contained plenty of residual oil (50-1 mix) from the last run.

He has a point and when the conditions are right an after run may not be a bad idea.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:28 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This flooding a gas engine out every time at end of day is not for everyone. I do not mind plugging exhaust & intake. Let the airplane or whatever set out & gas fumes should go away fairly fast. The extra fuel & oil in that engine will help in most cases. Consider this....I had a 4.2 cubic in chainsaw I bout several years ago. Used it mostly in late winter to cut my firewood. But I also used it on occasion general cutting. I made sure I flooded the engine out every time I was done that day. I thought it might fowl spark-plug, but it never did. It always started far faster and I NEVER had to replace a diaphram in the Carb. NEVER. I finally sold it to my son in law and he did the same as I did...flood it out. I posted a photo of a pile of wood he cut and I helped stack, on RCU a year or so ago. It is one huge wood pile. If I can find photo again I will post it. That saw runs as strong as a new one. When I cover exhaust with a glove...you cannot even hear a noise. I read on a oil can several years to do it....and it works. Best Regards Capt,n P.S> try it first with one of your 2 cycle leaf blower or??
Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can tell you is this. Look at this pile of cut wood. My son in law now owns the chainsaw that I bought new over 15 years ago. I never had to replace a carb part & maybe 1 spark plug. I flooded this saw out every time on the last run of the day. It would aways start better the next day...week....or month. I thought the plug would carbon up...it did not. What-ever is left in engine softens up carbon before it hardens??? It works for me....still works for my son-in-law. You can lead a horse to water...but you cannot make him drink!!!!![X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37445.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1278362  
Old 09-20-2009, 04:21 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Give a man a Log and he will stay warm an hour. Give a man a Chainsaw and he will stay warm for life

Could not resist,

pete
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
spalumbo19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is a good oil to use? I just purchased a fox 5.8 that had 5 flights on it. Could some one help me out.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hi. Name is Ken (Starfighter).
You will find that most everyone has their own idea about the oil(s) to use when breaking in a new engine, and here is mine:
1) BelRay S-2 @ 32 - 1.
2) Yamalube @ 32 - 1.
After break-in, I still use BelRay S-2 @ 50 - 1.
You can find either oil at motorcycle/snowmobile shops (Yamalube only at Yamaha dealers).
I have used just about every 2 cycle air-cooled oil out there (modeling more than 53 yrs. and giant scale for 31yrs.) and can say with conviction that these oils will never cause any operating problems, and will not leave a "hard' carbon deposit in the (your) engine.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 AM
spalumbo19

Thank you, also what size fuel line should be used on a 100cc gas engine? What size fuel tank ? I currently have a 32oz tank I was going to use
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hi "spalumbo".
Use at least 1/8" id (or any called "large") fuel line. High quality Tygon is best, but the modeling stuff is OK if changed every season. The best quality fuel line is Viton, but too expensive I feel since it is easy enough to change out a couple of Tygon fuel lines at the end of a flying season while doing routine maintenance.
The 32oz tank is Ok too, and will give you respectable flight times with adequate reserve for landing. Just make sure that the stopper used is gas compatible (reddish brown usually, although some are black too) and solder DuBro fuel barbs on the brass tubes to ensure that the fuel tubing stays put (I also place a zip tie behind the barb for more clamping on the tubing).
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Removed.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always had great success doing what the old expert "Hap Mulvany" advocated: use as much oil as you can without fouling the plug, brand does not make much difference. To little oil will almost always cost you money in wear and repair. The old standby of 32 to 1 works in most all cases.