Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

dented TP pack-Fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dented TP pack-Fixable?

The Thunder Power 3cell 11.1V seemed to survive a bad landing. Upon closer inspection and recharging on my FMA cellpro I'm getting an ERROR telling me that cell#3 is below .05v's. Is this somthing I can repair, ie, open up the end where the dent is ( opposite the connections) and pretend I know what I'm doing????? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 AM
mazjag

Default RE: dented TP pack-Fixable?

I wouldn`t mess with that as it sounds like that cell is no good. You can take that pack apart and and save the other two cells and maybe make a pack out of another bad one at some point. The old LiPo should be disposed of properly..J
Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks. Is there a link or thread that explains how to take apart a Li-Po pack that you trust?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:44 AM
mazjag

no, not really..Just cut the wrapper off them and seperate the flat sections gently with a scredriver... use a voltmeter to determine the polarity and the bad cell..it will read 0 volts..not a big deal... lipos are not a nuke like some people make them out to be..If they were ,they wouldn`t end up in power tools etc..just use some common sense....Jason
Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 PM
wpotter6

If your TPbattery is less than a year old, they will replace it at 60% of the list price under warranty for crash damage.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

WHOA!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE A SCREW DRIVER TO TRY AND SEPARATE THE CELLS!!!!!!!!! METAL AND LIPO CELLS DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!!
If you plan on taking the cell off, please use an NON METALLIC object. Like a Popsicle stick or a plastic dull knife.

Metal punctures the cell and it will get ugly real quick. [X(]

And a tip. TP's can sometimes be a bugger getting apart. They use a really good double sided tape to hold the cells together. I've used gell CA remover to dissolve the adhesive to make em easier to get apart.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 AM
mazjag

That was kinda the part were I said use common sense...I would assume a person that wanted to use a battery pack again wouldn`t stick a screwdriver through it, but I agree a plastic tool would be better....Jason
Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
mazjag

funny thing. not soon after he said that I pinched a hole with #11 blade taking off the shrink wrap on one. GG was right and it went up in smoke and while it didn`t catch fire it was a mess. My girlfriend wasn`t happy. GG was right and be safe. use some care and take it apart with something not metal like he said.....Jason