Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Seagull's

You could almost build one from all the replacement parts. Seems like all major parts are available, but would cost about $240 by my calculation.[X(]
http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...ace&N=5026+798

Rod S
Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Ichy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has Evolution 46 engines. I fly at 4600+ feet. They sure sound good together!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Neo gold

I flew this one for the first time last week!..what a great cheap scale flyer...Nice steady flying & the OS 52's were plenty powerful.
Giant loops were a breeze...rolls were a little less accurate!...but ok.
I love the plane!...short take-offs & easily controlled with the rudd, long landings though...scale like.
Sound was unusual...not as great as i thought it would be...strange resonance., this cheap plane gets a thumbs up from me!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Ichy

OK, so today I go out to the field with my P-47. After putting the wings on I check the control surfaces and find the ailerons don't look right. They are fully deployed to make the left wing drop. Look through my radio at the sub-trim, endpoints, mixes, etc. Everything looks normal. What's up with that?

Bring my stuff home and check out my DA. Same thing, ailerons stuck in one direction. Ah..... So that's why when I took off last week, the left wing dropped! Took almost full right rudder to keep her flying. At the time I thought I had lost an engine, but when it flew by I saw they were both turning. So then I thought maybe one was out of sync. Could only fly on half power. Came around again to land and the nose gear turned 90 degrees on me again. Nosed over and broke both props. This time I found that the set screw was not on the flat spot. So brought it all home thinking to check the alighment of the motors. Why else would it drop a wing like that when both motors sounded so good?

I am pretty anal about checking control surfaces before every flight. Seen too many planes go in due to aileron reverse. So I am pretty sure that something happened to my transmitter between starting the engines and taking off, or maybe I missed seeing the obvious. Not sure at this point, but at least I was able to fly it with rudder and made a landing, be it hard. Pretty happy with that.

So, I guess I send the transmitter in for inspection or repair, unless someone knows if I should be looking elsewhere for the problem. It is a Futaba 9CAP.

Dan
Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
ByronF

I recently acquired a DA and have read this thread with great interest. I have been thru it a couple of times looking at the various engines that were selected by folks.
I have a couple of old but NIB OS 40 FP's that I was hoping to use in this plane. The closest comparisons I have seen in this thread referred to OS 40 LA's which for the most part is the current day replacement for the FP. Although I think the LA's might be a little more powerful than FP but I am not sure of that.
I was hoping that I could use these engines but based on what I have read I get the feeling that these engines are not strong enough. I would appreciate it if some of the experienced DA flyers would give me their views on the suitability of the FP motors.
I am not looking for blazing speed but I don't a situation where I need tons of runway to take-off or worse still in the event of an engine out - one engine doesn't have enough power to be able to land it. Would appreciate hearing advice on these FP motors.
Or alternatively I have 2 used HB 61 regular motors (not PDP) which are as strong if not stronger than the 61 FP that one fellow used. Weight and overkill aside would this be a better way to go?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Byron
Old 07-31-2010, 11:52 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your FP's should be OK unless you are at very high altitude or don't prop them correctly. To me the LA's are just a face-lift of the FP's. Same carb, same muffler, same bushings. I have an FP 60 which runs just like an LA 65. Try to get it balanced without a load of weight in the nose and you should be fine. My LA 46's fly fine at 6000 ft. with 11 oz. (I think) in the nose. Taking off on grass or dirt could also be a problem. [X(]

RS
Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Sandmann_AU

I use mine with Super Tigre 40's (which should have similar performance to your FP 40's) and I fly off grass (very well kept, short grass albeit). It's no rocket-ship but it does fly well in a very scale manner. You will have to do scale take-offs, taking up runway to build speed and none of this "full throttle and straight up" type of manoeuvre, but otherwise it's very satisfactory.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 AM
ByronF

Sandman and Flight Risk
Thank you for comments/advice. In light of this information I may just give the FP's a go. Funny I initially got them to put in a Twinstar but that plan changed when I was offered a better deal on the DA. Then my motors went from being too much to hopefully good enough.
I may not get to it this season as I still have 4 other planes to maiden. If they come back alive then it will probably be next season for the DA and if they don't well........
Byron
Old 12-11-2010, 10:41 AM
4 Stroke

Just got my DA and am in the process of putting it together.  I'm planning on putting a couple of Magnum .52 four strokes on it.  Just curious if anyone else has done it and what they did on the throttle linkage.  The throttle arm on the motor sticks abouve the engine box, if I could reverse the throttle arm on the engine I think it would work a lot better.  I have read most of the thread and it sounds like all Seagull models have CG errors in the instructions, my Edge 540 had the wrong CG stated in the instructions also and if it hadn't been for the postings on this website it could have been fatal.

4-Stroke
Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Sandmann_AU

I haven't used the Magnum 52's, but all my 4 strokes can have their carbs reversed to swap the throttle arm. Would that help your problem. Should fly nice with twin 52's, just be careful you have enough clearance for the props so they don't contact the fuse. Might have to use 3 blade props to reduce diameter.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ichy

OK, so today I go out to the field with my P-47. After putting the wings on I check the control surfaces and find the ailerons don't look right. They are fully deployed to make the left wing drop. Look through my radio at the sub-trim, endpoints, mixes, etc. Everything looks normal. What's up with that?

Bring my stuff home and check out my DA. Same thing, ailerons stuck in one direction. Ah..... So that's why when I took off last week, the left wing dropped! Took almost full right rudder to keep her flying. At the time I thought I had lost an engine, but when it flew by I saw they were both turning. So then I thought maybe one was out of sync. Could only fly on half power. Came around again to land and the nose gear turned 90 degrees on me again. Nosed over and broke both props. This time I found that the set screw was not on the flat spot. So brought it all home thinking to check the alighment of the motors. Why else would it drop a wing like that when both motors sounded so good?

I am pretty anal about checking control surfaces before every flight. Seen too many planes go in due to aileron reverse. So I am pretty sure that something happened to my transmitter between starting the engines and taking off, or maybe I missed seeing the obvious. Not sure at this point, but at least I was able to fly it with rudder and made a landing, be it hard. Pretty happy with that.

So, I guess I send the transmitter in for inspection or repair, unless someone knows if I should be looking elsewhere for the problem. It is a Futaba 9CAP.

Dan
Only 46's up here? LOL
Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: 4 Stroke

I'm planning on putting a couple of Magnum .52 four strokes on it. Just curious if anyone else has done it and what they did on the throttle linkage. The throttle arm on the motor sticks abouve the engine box, if I could reverse the throttle arm on the engine I think it would work a lot better. .

4-Stroke

Throttle Linkage ? I have a set of O.S. 52 4-strokers on mine and I'm really not familiar with the Magnums. Can the carbs be rotated ? That may help.

I put mine together a few years ago, but I remember the throttle hookup wasn't too bad with the O.S. engines.

It's very rare to find an RC plane where the end of the throttle servo arm and the end of the carb throttle arm are in a nice, straight, direct path towards each other.

About 10 years ago somebody turned me on to Sullivan Golden Rod
http://www.sullivanproducts.com/GoldnRodMainFrame.htm The Golden Rod allows some pretty severe bends and works fine. You can almost wrap it around a fuel tank or up and over a firewall or bulkhead.

At each end of the Golden Rod I install a zero-slop Dubro Ball Link. The Dubro Links allow about an additional 10 degrees of up or down movement off each end of the Sullivan Rod.

When using a combo of these same parts, my throttle hookups have become less of a chore and more like a breeze. For about ten years I've been using these parts for all of my throttle hookups. So far, so good !

PS: I never use Golden Rod on anything but throttle linkages. Just my two cents.

Joe M.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 PM
4 Stroke

Well I just got done hooking them up and all seems good, no binding etc. I just relocated the servo inside the box instead of on top like the picture shows and had to cut some clearance on the braces the tank rides against to give clearence to the thottle linkage soits almost a straight shot. I haven't installed the engine boxes onto the wing yet, I thought it would be easier to work out the kinks on the linkage without having to deal with the wing. I read somewhere in this thread that some people used a Sullivan soft side tank does anyone have the part number handy?

4 Stroke
Old 11-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one question re this thread It started out as the Seagull Dual ace thread and half way throgh it turned into the Seagull thread how and why?
I see that it been in the Not used threads for a fair time ,well I found a new one out of the hobby shop yesterday so they are still about Yours Paul T PS its not there now.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:02 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

I have one question re this thread It started out as the Seagull Dual ace thread and half way throgh it turned into the Seagull thread how and why?
I see that it been in the Not used threads for a fair time ,well I found a new one out of the hobby shop yesterday so they are still about Yours Paul T PS its not there now.
Nice to see this thread is still alive and not totally dead !

I'm still flying mine with a pair of OS .52 4-strokers. I like it so much I went out and bought a (just in case) spare. You will love yours......a great flyer ! What will you use for power ?

Too bad Horizon Hobby dropped it maybe 2-3 years ago.

Yeah......your correct. The name of this thread on pages 1-35 used to be Seagull's "Dual Ace". Then starting on page 36 it turned into just Seagull's ??[X(] I think it's just a computer glitch. How about it RCU moderators ???

Joe M.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 AM
boingram

...this is a great airframe...i have two nib for future kit bashes...bo
Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Quigleywins

Well Joe and Bo I am not such a great flyer but I love twins, I also have a DA with ASP 61s , I bought it second hand with a few hours on her but in perfect condition . Its been out to the field on two ocations and I'v had mates fly her . Now I have the second one just in case not if but when I put her in. Every one thats been at the controls say what a lovely thing it is to fly.
As to the power not sure which way I will jump, I have a spare Satio 65 so temped to go that way or get two new OS 46s. I'm yet to read all 40 pages of posts,that might help. but I do like the 4 stroke motors. Cost will not be a factor it may take a little longer to get her ready for the air and the shed is full of half finished projects and rebuilds and i mean full.
It was great to see that after 12 months you boys are still up there having fun with this great aircraft.Yours Paul T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29524.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	1691094  
Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Quigleywins

I'l do anything to keep this thread going so here is a shot of the new Duel Ace and friends

Name:	Yw67066.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	1722390  
Old 02-02-2012, 04:22 AM
boingram

...nice aero commander.....what kit is it...thnx...bo
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought if you are using seperate servos for each wing wit any plane make sure the flaperon is on and then you need to reverse channels 1 and 6 accordingly

I had so much fun with my first DA (R.I.P.) I had to get another

Name:	Us54242.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1722392  
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM
JoeMamma

I'l do anything to keep this thread going so here is a shot of the new Duel Ace and friends
I understand and feel the same way.

You lucky guy, you're in your summertime now. My own Dual Ace (Beechcraft Duke ??) is parked in my hanger awaiting our summertime.

On another note, I noticed a BlackHorse models Aero Commander in your picture. Since Hobby People substantially dropped its price on the 81" Commander I ordered one. Should be here soon.

Joe M.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Guys,
I have a NIP set of engine nacelles and decals for this plane I would sell or trade if anyone needs them. I am building mine, nearly finished, and I made nacelles and am making cowlings to make it look more like a Beech Duke, so I won't need these. Hopefully someone can use them.
Thanks,
Bryan
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 AM
sailor05

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

You lucky guy, you're in your summertime now. My own Dual Ace (Beechcraft Duke ??) is parked in my hanger awaiting our summertime.

On another note, I noticed a BlackHorse models Aero Commander in your picture. Since Hobby People substantially dropped its price on the 81'' Commander I ordered one. Should be here soon.

Joe M.

I sure would like to see a build thread on the Aero Commander. I started to order one since it doesn't look like Eflite is going to bring the Deuces Wild back :-(. I have a pair of Dual Aces (electric) but I really prefer twins with retracts.

Any chance you intend to do a build thread?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: sailor05

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

On another note, I noticed a BlackHorse models Aero Commander in your picture. Since Hobby People substantially dropped its price on the 81'' Commander I ordered one. Should be here soon.

Joe M.

I sure would like to see a build thread on the Aero Commander. I started to order one since it doesn't look like Eflite is going to bring the Deuces Wild back :-(. I have a pair of Dual Aces (electric) but I really prefer twins with retracts.

Any chance you intend to do a build thread?
There already is a thread over at RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

The Commander is supplied with rotating, air operated retracts, but I noticed EFlite now has a set of rotating electric retracts. I ordered my Commander last Saturday and it hasn't been delivered yet, so I don't know if they will work.

Joe M.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As with all artf models the ply that supports the undercarriage is a little on the weak side, so I have read, it might be wise to put some corner fillets and thicken up critical
areas under there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.