Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

AeroWorks New Cessna 195

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

AeroWorks New Cessna 195

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
jfassino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AeroWorks New Cessna 195

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Can someone enlighten me on what ''cross-wind landing gear'' might be?

Thanks!
Lifer,

The 195 crosswind landing gear was an option available as was a conventional landing gear. The axles on the crosswind version were built to rotate in the horizontal plane about 15 degrees which let the aircraft land with the nose of the aircraft pointed 15 degrees to either the right or left of the runway centerline. In other words the crab angle could be maintained at touch down.

Any 195 with wheel pants has conventional gear as only the axel rotated not the gear leg which is where the wheel pants attach to the aircraft. While I have seen several 195's land with the cross wind gear I have no personal experience. My 195 has conventional gear and I believe those that have been converted to Cleveland brakes all have conventional gear. One last point there were two versions of the gear legs, a light version and a heavy version. Slightly different from each other in the width of the gear leg.

Many a Cessna 195 has been damaged landing in a crosswind. There is much debate about the cause, airplane or pilot. Treated right it is a beatuful airplane and can handle a good crosswind, provided the pilot can as well. If you ask it to land with the nose pointed very far off the direction of travel, the airplane can quickly execute an expensive ground loop.

Jim
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Jim,

Thank you for the explanation and your time it took to present. I was in the Air Force back in the 70's and was fascinated with the same characteristic on the Boeing B-52's (I won't repeat their nickname!) I had no idea that civilian aircraft ever used the same mechanics.

Again, thank you! and have a safe and plesant holiday season.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
jfassino

Lifer,

The folks at Cessna were actually using 40 year old design. The Bleriot XI used castering landing gear back in 1909! The first airplane to cross the English channel and castering gear. Now we got 50 year old b52's flying with a 100 year old idea. Simply neat.

I am enjoying reading this thread on the Aero Works 195. I saw it at Toledo and thought it looks nice.

Jim
Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Lifer

More interesting info! Thanks. Seems like good ideas are timeless.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Jim,

Thank you for the explanation and your time it took to present. I was in the Air Force back in the 70's and was fascinated with the same characteristic on the Boeing B-52's (I won't repeat their nickname!) I had no idea that civilian aircraft ever used the same mechanics.

Again, thank you! and have a safe and plesant holiday season.
That's OK, we have a guy at work named BUFF too.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Lifer

Super08,

So, he's big, ugly and fat?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM
tom2bell

i flew the new LC-126 from aeroworks this sunday. What a great plane She flew with only one click of down trim. I put a dle 30cc in the plane, Alot of power! Wast a great addition to the aeroworks plane line up. Im looking forward to flying it with the floats whin they are avalible. Ill post some pics os the plane soon here is the full scale.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51992.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	1791579  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM
JoeMamma

A looooong time between posts ! Appears this model is not very popular, probably due to its excess price of almost $1000 with the shipping.

Wow, a really pretty plane. I really wanted this one in my hanger, that is until I saw the price.......ouch !

If I were to see something like this in AeroWorks advertising: “Meets the highest ISO 9000 quality standardsâ€, or “every glue joint was meticulously checked by our experienced quality inspectorsâ€, or “design, fit and finish are impeccableâ€, or “uses the best available hardware on the marketâ€.

If I saw any of these statements I would get one. But nothing like that appears.......it’s just another ARF.

For AeroWorks to rub salt in the wound even farther, if you prefer, you can get the model from Tower Hobbies. They will drop-ship it from AeroWorks. But, even with my Tower Gold coupon I would normally get about $135 off if spending about $895. You can’t use any Tower coupons at AeroWorks. To top that off, my shipping is usually free at Tower, but if I ordered it from Tower they add on about an additional 90 bucks. That puts it up to about a 1000 bucks.

Gee, I HATE paying full retail prices on ANYTHING ![:'(][:'(]

Hey AeroWorks............how about a retail price in the $450-$600 range. That’s a more realistic figure. I would then buy one for sure........so might everybody else.

Joe M.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 PM
nc state

Has any one looked at the Troy Built Models C-195? Bigger and cheaper.
NC State
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: nc state

Has any one looked at the Troy Built Models C-195? Bigger and cheaper.
NC State

Thanks NC ! Not only does it have a 107" span, it's only $529. https://www.troybuiltmodels.com/item...95-107AAF.html

I'll be giving Troy a buzz and will do some investigation on the model. Would you happen to know anything about ECOM models ? That's the company making this Cessna.

Joe M.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM
nc state

They have a great vid clip on the 195. The Aero Works may have more scalestuff. But for the priceand size, besides, I likethe Blue and white covering.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 AM
JoeMamma

They have a great vid clip on the 195. The Aero Works may have more scale stuff. But for the price and size, besides, I like the Blue and white covering.
Blue and white ?? I could not find the TBM 195 in those colors, only maroon and white.

In fact, I did find a few YouTube videos, but could not find any threads for the Troy Built Cessna 195 at any of the larger forums (RCU, RCGroups or Flying Giants) ? Because of this, I started a new thread at RCGroups (still don't know if I want to go electric or use a DLE 55).

Do you have a link to the blue and white edition of the 195 ?

Joe M.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 PM
nc state

Joemamma, Go to www.troybuiltmodels.com. Nice vid. It talks aboutthe different engine combos. Along with other stuff.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 PM
JoeMamma

Joemamma, Go to www.troybuiltmodels.com. Nice vid. It talks about the different engine combos. Along with other stuff.

I really could not find any threads for this model, only some videos of an electric powered version.

I ordered the model from Troy Built Models today. I'm planning on using a DLE 55 RA (the RA means it's equipped with a rear exhaust port for a compact fit).

Thanks again for the info.

Here’s a link to the new thread I started today. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11529246

Joe M.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:37 PM
lrbeason
My Feedback: (18)

Have any of you fellows installed a DLE 35RA? I have with severe stabilizer oscillation. Thought it was my engine, installed second new engine, same problem. Rocco says my standoffs may be the problem but I installed the engine as shown in the manual. Rocco says an extra plywood firewall might solve the problem. I have an expensive unflyable airplane, any similar experiences.