Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Using 2 Lipos at a time, help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
wgregww

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 2 Lipos at a time, help

Ok this is new to me when it comes to using 2 at a time. My 500 heli calls for 2 2200 3S batteries. First how do you do this and why not just use 1 6S battery?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
molokaiboy

Default RE: Using 2 Lipos at a time, help

The Trex 500 was actually built with the intention of pilots with T450's to utilize their existing 3s 2200 lipos in series to fly the 500. A great marketing idea for those wishing to have a larger electric helicopter, without the need to purchase new lipos or a new charger.

Many pilots have done this without the need for bigger batteries and chargers. However with this hobby many always want more power. So many guys use larger 3s 2650+in series, while others opt to use just one 6s 2650+ lipo. The price of chargers that can charge 6s lipos have come down since the first 500's had been released, so many just use one single battery.

If you decide to use 2 batteries in series, it is recommended to use batteries of the same specs, same brand, same capacity, disharge rate etc. Ihave added a couple of photos of series and parallel adapters for the use with 2 batteries.

For batteries wired in series, you increase voltage, and parallel you increase capacity.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,
Les

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96174.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1537204  
Attached Images   
Old 12-25-2010, 07:14 AM
skid1092

Need help with ProTec charger PTK-1010B,,,,,,,,, I currently run 3 cell lypo packs and i cannot figure out how to charge 2 packs at once, i have the duel charge lead and the CB1010-XH&EH balance board, only one 3 cell terminal on the balance board will work out of the 3 positions, if i plug battery balance leads into the other two the charger reads balance erorr, thinking i had a bum balance board i quicly purchased another
and the second balance board does the same thing, does my charger have some kind of setting to turn on for duel charging the book does nt say.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 AM
maddmatt02

is your dual charge lead setup parallel style? if those boards dont work, you could always buy/make up a parallel set of balance plugs as well.

but what is your reason to do this? can your charger put out enough that it will charge 2 at a time faster than one out of a time. my charger only does 5 amps, and my batteries can be charged at 5 amps... so if I put two batts on at a time Im not charging any faster. and you cant say that way I can walk away and have hours without having to swap batteries on the charger, because you cant(not supposed to) leave them unattended.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
skid1092

well i believed it would be better to do two at once at the same speed as one, the instructions of the charger do not mention multi pack charging so i dont think its capable, but i now have 6 batterys now anyway so i dont wait in between flights to charge much now anyway, and yes i do stay around the bench while they charge, since i;ve seen the fire videos lol Happy New year.