Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sundowner 50 Arf

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM
earlseaholm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sundowner 50 Arf

ORIGINAL: LongRifles Inc.

Wow!

That's great news. I'm in Sturgis and we have a new (developing) RC club here with a 600' runway (grass) If he ever want's to come fly here he's more than welcome. No restrictions, exhaust, speed, turbine, the works. We cator to all of it!

Chad
That sounds great.
I talked to AJ today, and he is excited about his move to RC. Michelle is already in RC with her new school administration job.
AJ is still in KC getting the house ready to sell.
Stay tuned.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
timcat26

Afternoon all. I just picked up this plane and am planning on building it with a Thunder Tiger 75 4S and a 12x8 prop, DS 821 Servos, AR6200 Rx and a Lipo Rx batt. I'm not looking for this one to be a top end speed plane due to the size of our field. I know most everyone has a larger 2 stroke or a Jett in theirs but again, this would make no sense with our field's size. 80-90 mph would be more than adequate.

Aside from the standard going over all of the joints and reinforcing and fuel proofing the firewall, any other suggestions to make the above setup work well? I'm thinking I might be a little nose heavy without the weight of a 4-5 cell AA Rx Batt to move around. Any additional suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:54 PM
LongRifles Inc.

Ditch the fuel tank and get a Tettra bladder style.

Well worth the 25 bucks. I won't use anything else. Your engine will love you for it. So will your wallet and airplane!

I was able to hide the elevator linkage inside the fuse. Just machine, whittle, grind, saw a horn from brass and solder it to the wire thingy that ties the two elevator halves together. Then link a 1/4 or 5/16 carbon rod with dubro links and run a straight shot to your elevator servo. You'll have to cut a little bit of plywood off the back side of the servo trays. Reinforce with epoxy. I did the same to the rudder although it's not hidden. I used smaller 1/8 carbon for this.

Move the tank up against the spar to keep the CG as neutral as you can as the fuel level drops. I'm using a 5.5oz Tettra. Good for 10 laps and a few high speed dives. My plane is sort of "purpose built" for a little club racing venture some buddies and I have begun fiddling with. Elevate the tank to get the fuel lines either even or above the carb inlet. This will prevent lean surges when cornering. I had to knock out a rib on my canopy.

Reinforce the firewall a bit as its on the thin side.

For cooling I chopped off the back half of the cowl cheek and blocked off the unused stuff.

I run a Jett60 in mine. Hauls the mail pretty well I think. Easy to land this bugger. Much easier than the big brother 80 size.

Good luck.

C
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 AM
earlseaholm

Talked to my son, AJ, last night, and he and his family will be in Billings the weekend of Sept 25 - 26.
It will be nice to see them again, as it has been awhile.
We have a day planned to get in some flying we will see if he is man enough to fly the SD and my little squirrelly "Pocket Rocket!! ;-)
Been busy working - drag racing, and haven't gotten in much flying.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:31 PM
LongRifles Inc.

Big fly in this weekend in Sheridan WY.

Bummer I can't make it.  Lots of people there.

Enjoy.

C
Old 10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Mountain_Commando_

I have the Evo 52 with a 11x7. It's quick but I'd like to upgrade. Jett is out of my budget. Someone at the field suggested Magnum 60 two stroke? Any ideas if that would be a good choice?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 AM
mattyhawk
My Feedback: (2)

how about an evolution 60NX? Same size as a 46, but 60 size power.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mattyhawk

read back a few pages, Iflyglow has one in his SD and shared quite a few pictures of his install using the mini pipe that Horizon sells which is made by Jett.
did some nice mods to save weight and provide better cooling too.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
bradj11

Bob,
I purchased a H9 SD from someone who started building it and never finished. He outfitted it with an OS .91FX with a Bisson Pitts style muffler. He installed the main gears and tail wheel and vertical and horizontal stab. He sold it to me for $250.00.

So After reading almost all of this forum, I am not sure what direction to go with the muffler. I see the jett stream. I would consider the JS-90 muffer by Jett. Do you agree?
I think I see where the Pitts seem to have some cooling issues. and people are plugging one of the air vents and creating a hole at the bottom for hot air release. It came with the cowl cut for the bisson. He also had an OS 55 fitted before he fit the OS .91FX so there is an extra hole in the cowl that he filled in with black tape.

Anyways I have not started as yet. I have specktrum 821 digital servos and an AR500 spektrum receiver and 1100 mah 6v battery.

Most critically I will replace the cowl but I just want to figure out the best muffler set up so I don't make a mess. Also what kind of speed are people getting w/ this combo?
KIndly advise.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
LongRifles Inc.

I have a 91fx in my 40 size voodoo mustang.

Speeds are good but it's quite a bit of weight for such a small plane.  If I were to do it again I'd be more apt to stick another 60 Jett sport engine in it.

That's what I have in my 50 size SD and it runs really, really well.  A 10x7 master air screw gives me the best performance on 15% powermaster.  I live at 3500ft elevation.  Most guys seem to like the 9x6 or 9x7 apc.    I really encourage anyone building a speed plane to use a Tettra bladder tank.  the improvement is considerable.  At $25 bucks they are well worth the $ IMO.  If your going to mimic pylon stuff I say go one further and fabricate hard lines for fuel and pressure.  In a corner you might experience 20+ G's.  That means that little 6-7lb airplane suddenly weighs 120-140lbs.  It also means that one ounce of tubing with fuel suddenly weighs 20 ounces.  The silicone tubing WILL flex and I was plagued with an engine starving for fuel in the corners till I upgraded to hard lines.  Then it all went away. . .

Last, you'll find this plane suddenly develops quite a bit of "dihedral" in the corners as well.  Either upgrade to a carbon spar or reinforce the aluminum one with a rib of plywood down the inside.  Much happier plane when banking hard.

The firewall sucks.  There's a few You Tube vids of guys ripping their airplanes apart in midair due to the engine tearing the firewall off.  It's worth going over.  Especially with an engine as big as the OS91 FX.  Remember, that 19.3oz engine suddenly weighs 25lbs when cornering.

Good luck! 
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 PM
JFisher304
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone shoe horned a DLE-20 in one of these?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about the DLE 20 but Syssa has one of his 30cc gassers in his...
He's in this thread somewhere...try back a few pages?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:53 PM
earlseaholm

Longrifle,
It looks like my son, AJ, will be in RC the first week of November.
He was fortunate enough to get a good job with Northrop Grumman,
and has already checked out Who's Hobbies. ;-)
Hopefully you fellas can get together.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:21 PM
LongRifles Inc.

I look forward to meeting him!

Name's Chad.

I have a machine shop (I build rifles) in Sturgis. 

Working on a couple "pet" projects right now.  First is my own 80cc twin nitro engine for my USRA 42% Kelly F-1 Pro plane.  The second is a roots supercharger for my Moki 210 stuffed in a H9 sundowner.  bummer that H9 quit making the plane and that USRA eliminated the class.  It's just my "franken plane" now.

Were working with the sturgis school board and the city about securing a piece of property just east of town for a dedicated field.  The city is 100% on board with it and agreed to giving us a 500' x 75' paved runway.

Good times!

Chad
Old 10-30-2010, 09:31 PM
earlseaholm

ORIGINAL: LongRifles Inc.

I look forward to meeting him!

Name's Chad.

I have a machine shop (I build rifles) in Sturgis.

Working on a couple ''pet'' projects right now. First is my own 80cc twin nitro engine for my USRA 42% Kelly F-1 Pro plane. The second is a roots supercharger for my Moki 210 stuffed in a H9 sundowner. bummer that H9 quit making the plane and that USRA eliminated the class. It's just my ''franken plane'' now.

Were working with the sturgis school board and the city about securing a piece of property just east of town for a dedicated field. The city is 100% on board with it and agreed to giving us a 500' x 75' paved runway.

Good times!

Chad
DAMN You are working on some trick projects!!!
AJ will be very interested. Me too!!
When, and if, I ever get in your neck of the woods - I would like to take a look.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
bhoges17

Ive been a lipo guy and took this plane on trade with a 95os in it. I have a DLE20 that would be a good idea. I cant stand the cost of fuel and the mess of nitro. I just put a DLE30 in my 73" Sbach. Ill have to see how it will fit. My buddy has a DLE20 in his 70" Revolver and it flys awesome.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

delete
Old 12-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mattyhawk

SD50 with EVO .60 / Jett Muffler + Mods.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49395.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1530603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76559.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	661.8 KB
ID:	1530604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo32079.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	786.8 KB
ID:	1530605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98851.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1530606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73165.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1,023.8 KB
ID:	1530607  
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
ILVSMOG

What's a good servo combination for the airplanes?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
tankengine

Hi Tom,

Thanks for writing......

Sure, no reason you would not be able to use the OS61. The FSR is a hell of an engine, one of my favorites for pattern flying years ago

As for the internal muffler that is where it gets tricky. The Jett SJ-60 is a "40" size engine. So what you see there is a tight installation on a smaller .46 size configuration.

The only way to know if it can fit - try it. It comes down to how far the muffler extends out from the crankcase, and the diameter of the muffler. The one advantage you may have is that the tail cone on the muffler tapers pretty soon after te barrel section. You may have to cut away the cowl to clear the muffler, but there is a good chance you can get the tail of the muffler to route into the firewall.

One suggestion something I have tried put the engine on an engine mount and stand it up (without the muffler ) on a copy machine. Take an image of it that way (I put a bucket over the top of it). This will get you an end-on view of the installation. Then try to do the same with the muffler seperately (some clay seems to work well to hold it on end. You can also get a profile view of it too. With those in hand, you can play around on the aircraft with a layout.

The OS61 FSR will get you good power. Watch the CG - and I would suggest a 11x7 prop - let it turn up. If you can find a 10.75x7.5 (zinger and rev up use to make one) go that route.

Having said all this .... If one of your collection is a NOS of a OS50 or a more recent OS 46FX use that, and I would then certainly suggest the Jett muffler - TRUELY wakes up either of those into animals. The weight savings is huge over the .61 FSR, will fit better, and speed wise you will not see a difference between either and the .61.

A few folks have put a Jett 90LX in the Sundowner. A lot of work. Fitting the larger Jett-stream in the plane is difficult. Not much more (if any?) in speed over what the Jett 60LX or 56LX can do. Just more complex.

Let me know how you make out with the project, and please post if you can on RCU - always a great subject for a thread.

Bob Brassell
Old 12-27-2010, 01:02 PM
tankengine

Sorry Bob about the double posting. I chose to quote your reply to my email.

For all those who want to know, the above post is a copy of Bobs reply to me regarding installation of a NOS OS 61 FSR ABC in the Sundowner. I have a new one and was thinking of installing it rather than buying another new engine... I still have lots of NOS engines and really don't want to buy anymore unless I just have to.

Bob,

It just so happens I have the New OS 50 FSR however it's a (ringed) piston. My experience in years ago were the abc ringless piston engines were more powerful/faster turning.

I also have the 45 FSR H Heli engine with the larger head NIB. (ringed)

I also have the 40 SF ABC slightly used in a Goldberg Trainer, once again this one is (ABC).

I also have used but still runs well ( I have already replaced the bearings once) 46 VF RE (ABC). I think this one would be a screamer but for the fact it has rear exhaust.

What do you think?

thanks again for you fast response.

Tom Bufkin /Tankengine
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Id go with the ring 50FSR or the 45H ... both run great on the tuned exhaust.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
cmmicroheli

What did everyone use as an exhaust extension to get it out of the fuse. and does anyone have a picture of the inside of the fuse with the 56lx install. My motor come with a short metal tube and a dubro exhaust diverter. but I thought this did not work well. Any info helpful.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 AM
LongRifles Inc.

I have a Jett60 in mine fitted with the cigar shaped muffler.

I used a rubber exhaust deflector and a short length of AL tubing.  Zip tie/Yamabond the snot out of it because any fuel/exhaust leaks are going to quickly destroy the interior of your fuse.  Right over the landing gear is where all this stuff sits.

This little guy looks pretty cool with a zoomie stack coming out the side of the fuse.

Good luck.

C
Old 02-19-2011, 12:39 PM
cmmicroheli

Thanks for the info.
[quote]ORIGINAL: LongRifles Inc.

I have a Jett60 in mine fitted with the cigar shaped muffler.

I used a rubber exhaust deflector and a short length of AL tubing. Zip tie/Yamabond the snot out of it because hanks for the reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.