Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New to forum and Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM
u4iia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and Hobby

Hi All,

Hope everyone had a great Holiday. Well, between work, kids, and holidays I have finally broke in my Tornado S30. I just wanted to share myperspectivewith otherbeginnerssuch as my self. The first thing I did when I unpacked my car was read the instructions several times. I then went to my LHS and picked up air filter oil, and fuel and advice. I then made sure I had every tool listed in the instructions including blue locktite.
I applied blue locktight to every metal to metal screw and tightened every screw I could find then set the mesh per the instructions and applied locktight to motor mount screws. I did purchase the starter kit and im glad I did. I followed my break in proceduresreligiouslyand had no problems starting and breaking in the engine. Make sure to keep yourignitercharged. As a matter of fact as soon as i got the motor started I threw it back on the charger. Further, wear some old clothes, no matter how careful I was I got nitro on me. My motor spit allot of oil out duringbreak-in. I used Sidewinder fuel by Morgan Fuel. Its seems to work great, but, I am new to thehobbyand really have nothing to compare it too. I ordered a temp gun from tempguns.com for $30. It was very handy. Not only do i use it for tuning and breaking in my motor, I use it for myaquarium and cooking, etc. I did order andinstalla fuel filter and upgraded aluminiumair filter. Further, I ordered an extra glow plug. I also picked up after-run oil at my LHS. Ok here come the questions:

1. Do I need after run oil? The instructions on my fuel bottle said not to use it with their particular fuel. ????
2. I have been reading allot aboutdifferentiallubrication in this forum. I am a little confused. Should I open up the front and rear and check for lubrication? What about the center?
3. What is thedifferencebetween a hot and cold type glow plug. I ordered a HOT one. It has been 35 to 50F when I run the tornado

Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to forum and Hobby

1st off, you have done a great job thus far. you have done your homework. too many people buy a nitro and expect to just fire up the motor and start beating on it.

even with fuels that say you dont need to use after run oil, i always did. afterrun oil is cheap, only takes seconds to put in the motor when you are done and will ensure that the motor doesnt rust.

i dont think the tornado's have much issue with the diffs(the 1/8 scales do tho)
still, since you are clearly someone who doesnt mind being detailed(good for you on locktiting and double checking mesh ect) you could pull out the diffs and use some diff lube or grease. im sure your local hobby shop can point out a good lub to use.
as far as the glow plugs, i want to say you should use a hot plug in colder weather. but i can never remember which way that goes.

i own a tornado epx pro(brushless version of the same buggy) the stock shock towers can bend with high jumps and bad landings. other than that, its a very strong chassis. and redcat does have billet alum shock towers(thicker than stock) that fix that problem.

seriously, you are pretty much on the ball, you have already done all the right stuff! many new to nitros fail to get a temp gun, or locktite or even follow the breakin procedures for that matter. glad to let hear its going well with your tornado, let us know what you think of it once you get to really open her up!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job on starting out you have done a great job on your homework before starting which will make the hobby more enjoyable for you and less down time. Yes I haveneverheard of diff problems in the 10th scale mostly in the 8th scale butopeningyour diffs and putting in good thick diff oil will prolong the diff and offer you better performance in running your car. A hot glow plug is always better especially if you are going to be just bashing ( playing around at the house or dirt field) so you will be great with a hot plug. Ipersonallyuse sidewinder fuel myself I have used it for over 3 years I dont use the after run oil as per there directions not using after run oil has given me no problems plus it is easier to start when not using after run oil because the engine does not have to blow out the after run oil before starting. Please still make sure that you do run all the gas out of the engine when not running any more or you are going to put the car up do not leave any gas in the tank or engine. Welcome to theforumand your new hobby. Hope you enjoy.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM
daroncraig

Welcome. I too am fairly new to the hobby and the site. I bought an aftershock 3.5 and I did all of the steps you did as well. It is worth it. I also went to my LHS and told the guy to order every single upgrade part they have for my truck. I figured if and when one of the stock parts breaks I will have the aluminum upgrade ready to install. Enjoy the new truck. I have attached some pics of mine after a few cosmetic upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85503.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1538593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23721.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1538594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34272.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1538595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44772.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1538596  
Old 12-27-2010, 08:41 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet Ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 PM
u4iia

Thank you for the reply. I was actually a little startled when I opened up the throttle for the first time. I did not realize how fastthese things go. I have been running it up and down a dead end street and performed my first jump (unintentionally I might add) off of a snow bank next to the curb. It flipped. Both front shocks popped off the ball joint.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 PM
u4iia

Thanks for the reply. I make sure to run the tank dry everytime. This hobby is very addicting. I want to play with my Buggy 24/7 now. I enjoy tinkering with it as much as i do running it. I can't wait until spring. It is dark by the time I get home (6PM). Im already thinking about a battery powered rig for instant gratification. Not sure yet, I enjoy the oil, smoke and noise.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:52 PM
u4iia

You did and awsome job! Kudos! Does Redcat sell a kit of upgrade parts? I remember seeing one, but it included manifold and muffler which i believe is already on my tornado s30. I was a little confused.

ORIGINAL: daroncraig

Welcome. I too am fairly new to the hobby and the site. I bought an aftershock 3.5 and I did all of the steps you did as well. It is worth it. I also went to my LHS and told the guy to order every single upgrade part they have for my truck. I figured if and when one of the stock parts breaks I will have the aluminum upgrade ready to install. Enjoy the new truck. I have attached some pics of mine after a few cosmetic upgrades.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
daroncraig

Thanks. I basically just told the guy at my local shop where I bought the truck to order me every aluminum upgrade that is available for my truck. I know some redcats have more upgradeable parts than other, but they all have some. urchobby.com has them pretty neatly laid out per vehicle. as far as the exhaust goes that is kind of confusing. they all say tuned pipe, but you don't know which is better or what kind of a tune it is, mid-low or upper. I would just go with a jammin jp-3. it fits most of the sh engines which come in the redcats and is a good low-mid range power pipe. you can find it for around 60 bucks depending on where you look. that is the one i told the guy to order for me.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Allnighters

Congrats on getting into this hobby. You did good buy doing the right things. I did the same with my earthquake 8e buy checking alot of things over. I have had my truck apart almost twice just setting it up and trying to prevent any user error breakage. These are rtr's but still need to think of it as a kit. The people who assemble them don't have to work on them later so if it ain't just right oh well, it still sells. Good job hope you have fun.