Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow.

Well, we got what the news stations are calling the worst snow storm in history here in NJ. It's 5 AM and we have had continuous snow for the last 22 hours. The state is under blizzard warnings and conditions, most severe along the coast where I live. Nasty stuff.

We got around 25 inches so far and it is supposed to continue for another few hours. And, the wind is nasty too, with gusts up to as high as 50 mph, so it will continue to blow and move the snow around in drifts.

This won't make for any good RC flying.. ha.. Goirish, I don't think even you would get out in this stuff.

I'll get a picture or two later on. I can't imagine what the flying field looks like.. ha..

CGr.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Snow.

I see on the weather channel...you guys are getting hammered![X(]
(Supposed to get up near 40 and rain by this comming week-end though!? )

It's not quite making it up here...
We're in the Mohawk Valley...got the Adirondack mts. on Northern side...and the Catskills to the South...they kind of shield us. (sometimes )

Though at other times, winds from the West, we get lake effect... just sorta gets funneled through from Lake Erie and / or Ontario...we can get really dumped on then too...
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi CGRetired
Here in North Carolina we had 12" yesterday in my area. I had skis ready for my Canard R/C plane, but that much snow is just too much around here. The city has no snow fighting equipment. We just wait for the snow to melt. Temperatures of 60 degrees are expected for this weekend. I remember being in Newark, New Jersey in 1960 when it got hit with about 27 inches of snow. That is the year Newark decided to establish snow routes in the city.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:01 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

. ha.. Goirish, I don't think even you would get out in this stuff.

I'll get a picture or two later on. I can't imagine what the flying field looks like.. ha..

CGr.

Geeze CG!! I may even have to put on a pair of socks. Sounds like summer might be over, ya think.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Augie11

Well, we got what the news stations are calling the worst snow storm in history here in NJ. It's 5 AM and we have had continuous snow for the last 22 hours. The state is under blizzard warnings and conditions, most severe along the coast where I live. Nasty stuff.

We got around 25 inches so far and it is supposed to continue for another few hours. And, the wind is nasty too, with gusts up to as high as 50 mph, so it will continue to blow and move the snow around in drifts.

This won't make for any good RC flying.. ha.. Goirish, I don't think even you would get out in this stuff.

CGr.
I was in NW Jersey when a big one hit - I think it was winter '95-96. I remember opening the garage door and facing 800 feet of 3+foot snow. Think I went back in the shop and worked on a Sig Cub. Been out here in Colorado the last dozen years and we get some BIG snowfalls. But still, nothing like a really good Noreaster. I can tackle anything up to 8" with a broom!

So be careful back there, don't hurt yourselves and keep everyone safe!.

Augie
Old 12-27-2010, 07:52 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: goirish

. ha.. Goirish, I don't think even you would get out in this stuff.

CGr.
Yeah, Irish.. you got that right. We went from Summer right into Winter.. no Fall.. then right into winter nor'easter and snow. YUK!!!

CGr

Geeze CG!! I may even have to put on a pair of socks. Sounds like summer might be over, ya think.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 AM
goirish

CG, Michigan only has 2 seasons. fall and winter.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Insanemoondoggie

CG this is a perfect time to catch up on building, fixing ,etc. That much snow is just to hard to wade thru.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well good thing we have all this global warming. Otherwise you'd be getting it much worse.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No snow at all this season but we have more rain on it's way in. Very warm too. I was just out back with just a long sleeve shirt on. Not a bad day to be out flying.
Gene
It's on the news right now, wow, you guys are getting hit harder then hard!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: goirish

CG, Michigan only has 2 seasons. fall and winter.

When I came out to California the first time on a temp assignment, I was talking to a guy at a farmers market and when I mentioned farming in Michigan, he was astounded that we grew anything other than frozen vegetables. When I came back out here the second time on a temp assignment, 10 years later, I never went back other than to pack up the house and sell it. We get back to Michigan to visit family about once a year, but it's always after Memorial Day and before The 4th.

Don't miss the snow one bit. Irather enjoy going out to the flyingfield in short sleeve shirts most of the year. I don't miss the late night service calls out in the Thumb when the snow drifts were curling over the road. And the 15 below temps.

Don
Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

CGR,
 It sure sounds like you're getting hammered. We only got a little bit of rain out of the system that is slamming you now. Like Insanemoondoggie said, time to put another log on the fire, put on warm clothes, and pull a kit out and start building!!!!!!

Stay warm and safe.

Ken
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 PM
_brad_
My Feedback: (4)

Here in Syracuse we call what you just had a light dusting!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

CGR...how about the Drifts? It took me 4 hours to do a 1 hour job with my broken-down snowblower that stands about 26" high, bucking heads with a 6 foot drift[sm=pirate.gif]
Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

You have not even begun to see Winter yet! Just wait until Next Month when the real Storms start. Then we have February, which is not condusive to flying either, nor is early March for that fact. Buckle up for a real Nasty Winter. Say warm and best of Luck from the Northwest Region area Flyer's..
Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 PM
CGRetired

Aw, shaddap.... we don't need no more stinking snow. ha..oops.. sorry.

Yeah, I know. Last year we had a pretty miserable January and February. This year, though, it started early... maybe that means it will end early? I guess that's up to the groundhog!!! [X(]

CGr
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Aw, shaddap.... we don't need no more stinking snow. ha..oops.. sorry.

Yeah, I know. Last year we had a pretty miserable January and February. This year, though, it started early... maybe that means it will end early? I guess that's up to the groundhog!!! [X(]

CGr
Sorry CG, It's not up to the Ground Hog. It is up to what ever Mother Nature Decides and we have no say so in that .January seems to be the worst out here in the NW. But all the Storms we get, travel East, in your direction.So again get ready for some more snow in your direction later this year and continuing thru March. I am not a weather forcaster by any means, but , I can read. Sometime's I question thier reports which are usually wrong, so I just look out the window and see what's happening on a daily basis..Have a Great New Year!, I do Enjoy your threads.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dang it Dick, my wife made me take her out to lunch then to the mall {maul} to shop. It was all the way down to 58 in that part of Town and I had to wear my sun glasses. Burrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! I did stop at a mens store and bought a nice thick scarf just in case this weeks freeze warning pans out. Burrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
richie5150

ANY PICTURES ??? Haven't had a great snowfall in W Chicago in a while. Ski's are needed at the field.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57111.gif
Views:	10
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1538805  
Old 12-28-2010, 03:23 AM
CGRetired

Hey Gene.. well then, I guess you envy us here in NJ. We may make 30 today...

Richie, well, your ski's would get a workout here this week, no doubt about it.

What do you mean, not up to the groundhog? I thought Punxsutawney Phil was the last word on when Spring starts!! I guess not. []
Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 AM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

No snow at all this season but we have more rain on it's way in. Very warm too. I was just out back with just a long sleeve shirt on. Not a bad day to be out flying.

I was at the lake flying Sunday with a t-shirt on. Beautiful day. The guy that bought Richards old FPV Tiger plane, went across the lot at a 45 deg angle and hit the "Remote control aircraft area" sign next to the road. Cut the left wing right off!
[:@]
Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 AM
bobfox

Well, we had light flurries the day after Christmas. Very unusual for southern Jawjaw so the grandkids were very excited. We'll have 65 to 70 degrees late this week, making for perfect flying weather. Of course, we'll have 95 degrees and 95% humidity from the middle of June to the middle of September when you'll have much milder weather most of that time. Ah, life is a compromise.

Lived near Princeton years ago and we got 23 inches of snow on April 1 one year, so I know a bit of what you're going through.

Happy New Year anyway!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM
captjckirk

Snow, if you wait long enough it always goes away, that said we have about 4 inches on the ground, not much for us this time of year. On Sat, [New Years Day] our club has the Penquin Fly, a fun fly, Some of the planes will use floats off the snow, really works well. A huge pot of Chili and hot choc. make for a perfect day. Happy New Year to all and safe and fun flying in 2011.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Villa

This coming January 8th is our yearly Chili Fly-In. We usually have about 6 crock pots full of chili, so there is a big variety. Some years the cold and wind have been brutal. I usually use my Swept Wing Pusher Canard for high winds, but I'll be 75 then and have been losing some of my nerve. If the wind does not blow me over I will try to fly.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The snow in my back yard is waist high.

Since yesterday morning, all my wife has done is stare through the kitchen window.

If it gets much worse, I may have to let her in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.