Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Sukhoi restarted

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Sukhoi restarted

Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goldberg Sukhoi restarted

Strarted 4 years ago and set on back burner. Tail feathers done and right wing. Threw it back on the board a few days ago and want to do a build thread on it.
Was going to use a ST G2300 for a engine. After the nightmare I went thru on my last SuperTigre 90, I'm not going to risk it on this plane. If I had a high wing that it couldbe broke in on, might try it. But just don't want to take a chance on losing this plane due to engine problems. So now I need to rethink my engine selection. Prefer 4 strokes and thought about a Saito 150 or a YS 120 or 1.40. Did consider gas, but a guy at the fleid has one with a gas engine and covered in solartex {i think} and painted. Flys nice but lands hot and falls fast when power is dropped. Looks heavy in the air.
Been trying toget into IMACC sportman training with my US.60, 26 flights and 23 dead sticks. I do admit to being very good at dead sticks but they don't jugde for that.Said screw it and gave up flying for a year.
Really need this plane to be solid, so my time is not spent repairing and chasing engine problems and can actually train this year. Thought I would do a build thread, so I can draw on the expertice of not only the kit builders but also from the pro's that fly in IMACC meets. The wing should be finished this week and the next step is the firewall/fuse so I need to pick an engine an get one located.
Any thoughts on a engine for this plane? Would like to use and engine that works well with fuel tank center mounted on the CG. I've never flown a plane with a center mounted tank, but it makes alot of sence to me.
Thanks
Robbie
Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Sukhoi restarted

Robbie, do you have those engines you mentioned available, or would you be buying one?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a SYSSA SAP-180? Great little motor and made in the USA. Same price as a Saito 1.50 and only slightly heavier. I don't know the total weight on a Saito 1.50 because Horizon only lists engine only weight, which is 30 oz. The SAP-180 is 41 oz including mufflers and ignition. There can't be more than 6 oz difference once the muffler is figured into the Saito.

http://www.syssaaircraft.net/cart/pc...1&idcategory=2
Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Just finished reading your post and am not quite sure if you are building the old kit or finishing one of the ARF models.
I have a pair of kit built planes from the mid 90s that have both Saito 150s in them and cg tanks.
The 12 oz tanks were originally intended for both fuel and smoke but the fuel consumption was such that both tanks needed to be fuel. The plumbing is easy in that all you need to do is connect the carb line of the first tank to the vent line of the second tank. The fuel pulls from one tank to the next with no further connections. The vent line on the second tank is moved over to the vent on the first tank so that the tank with the carb line fills then the overflow fills the other tank until it runs out the vent line that is open to atmosphere.
Originally I used a Perry oscillating pump but found that muffler pressure worked as well with much less complication.
Also if you are building the kit take time to put a larger plywood landing gear mount in the wing as it was very weak. Finally reinforce the horizontal stab with some carbon fiber laid over the perimeter frame work of the stab top and bottom. The original kits sometimes had flutter that shed the stab and elevator on one or both sides.
At 10 lbs these are great fliers and dead stick with no drama. As you get heavier fly accordingly.
Pictures of my two are in my gallery if you click on Gremlin Castle and co to the gallery.
Good luck and good flying.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Thanks for the replys. This is a kit, the second generation, theone with the gear mounted on the fuse.
Mike, I have to buy the engine. I have an ASP 1.20 fs and the ST2300 with pitts muffler . but I,m sure the 1.20 a little underpowererd. I did look at the ASP 1.802c good price.
Gremlin, thanks for the info, thought I would run a 2oz. header tank and a 16 oz over CG. Sorry for the first choppy post, server kept timing out on me.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

I wish they would bring the Skylane kit back.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:04 AM
fabmaster911

Don't get me wrong but if you had 23 out of 26 deadstick id work on my tuning technique.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Allen Key

I'd have a look at your fuel to......been there and have the "T"- shirt
Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I deserve that, LOL! I have all the SuperTigres from the G34 to the G2300, and have been an out spoken supporter for ST, but the .90 was one I had problems with. I asked for help here on RCU and tried everyones advise. New carb,ring, liner, gaskets and bearings.Would run decent on the ground but would flame out on in the air. And if you ever flown at SPRC, with the corn, trees swamp and bears, dead sticks can trun into and adventure. The G2300 from what I read here on RCU have the same issues as the .90. If this was an ARF, no problem, but this kit is no longer avaible and gun shy.. What realy makes my face red, is I'm aretired aircraft mechanic.
Like many others, money is tight, not so much for me, but the kids have been hit hard, so extra hobby money goes for more important things right now. Maybe I should run it first on the engine stand. Thanks for thelittle push fabmaster.
Decidedto trace all the parts out before I go any farther. One wings done but still have the parts for the right wing. Whats the best material to use for tracing parts out ? Was going to use some heavy brown wrapping paper I have on a roll, but it isjust to dark. I'll try and post some pic's today if flying doesn't get in the way..

ORIGINAL: fabmaster911

Don't get me wrong but if you had 23 out of 26 deadstick id work on my tuning technique.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:14 AM
MinnFlyer

If you want, I've got an almost-new Saito 125 GK collecting dust that you could borrow. I don't see myself using it anytime in the near future.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just plain old 20 Lb. bond paper works for templates. You can ask your butcher real nice for a few feet of his wrapping paper.
I never did get a hold of the Sukhoi but I have built several of the CG Extra kits. All of them are heavy by todays standards but the two planes are like brother and sister as to size and weight. They were 60 size planes in there day. I have never seen a 60 used in one though. I have used the OS 1.20, the YS 1.40 and the one I have is using the YS 1.20. All of these engines work just fine in the Extra so should be fine in the Sukhoi. I would take Mike up on his offer of the 1.25 Saito and give it a try.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Glad to hear that you have the 2nd generation kit. The fuselage gear mount is a far better design plus you don't have to carry the fuselage around in a cradle.
The 16 oz tank with a header will work well on muffler pressure. Had I not had the other installation in place I would have done the same thing.
Also, if you looked at the pictures of mine, the 01 plane has aftermarket cowl and belly pan parts while 02 is the abs plastic furnished in the kit.
The planes are identical other than that detail. They were originally constructed to fly team aerobatics. We were just getting a good start when my flying partner died suddenly in December of 98. As I was already heavily involved in gas and giant scale these planes have been flown very little in the years following his death. They still fly as well as they ever did but I fly them now to honor his memory rather than as a primary aerobatic plane.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Thanks for the info Graybeard, bond paper it is.YS !.20 are available all the time on RCU. Does it matter what letter they are? Mikes offer is very nice, but my luck is not been good when borrowing, generally wind up buying 2 in the long run.
Sorry to hear about your flying partner, Gremlin thats a tuff one. This well be my biggest plane, and about as big as where I fly can handle.
Here's a few pic's of a 2 stroke I'm rebuilding now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71928.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1539391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90505.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1539392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47311.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1539393  
Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 AM
MinnFlyer

What size plane is that going in?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Thanks for the info Graybeard, bond paper it is.YS !.20 are available all the time on RCU. Does it matter what letter they are? Mikes offer is very nice, but my luck is not been good when borrowing, generally wind up buying 2 in the long run.
Sorry to hear about your flying partner, Gremlin thats a tuff one. This well be my biggest plane, and about as big as where I fly can handle.
Here's a few pic's of a 2 stroke I'm rebuilding now.
Yep, the letters all mean something. If you can find an FZ then you are to the good. Most powerful of the 1.20 line and it has a low speed needle so it's easy to tune and get dialed in. I have several of them and the NC and F both require you to adjust the regulator screw and high end needle until you hit the magic spot. It isn't hard to do but I see a lot of people here on RCU that can't seem to get it just right.
The YS 1.10 puts out about the same power, in the catalogs they show you the same power. There is also the new 1.15 to think about.
I have the NC in my CG Extra and it's perfect for power. An FZ is in one of my pattern planes and it's worked out fine. A 1.10 is in my 60 size Hots and that's a bit too much but I like it. I just came up with one of the Fs but haven't installed it in anything yet. I'm on a hunt for a .91 though for a plane that requires a pumper. One will come my way sooner or later!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Tx Gene for the info. I looked at the YS1.15, the wife say's I can buy one but I would have to set the Vespa on the back burner. It's torn down to the last bolt and is scattered all over the shop and need to finish it, to get some room.. Going to have to use a engine I already have. This is going to be a dig thru the spares/budget build..
Going to run the G2300 on the test stand,if it gives any issues, myunderstanding is aPerry Carb is agood fix. Need to pick up a prop,18x8recommened. Good enough starting point. Ithas the Bisson muffler already, so thats one cost out of the way. If that does,nt work I'mgoing with the ASP 1.20fs, it runs awesome and if I thought it wasbig enough, would just use it to began with.,
I have 6 JR D281'sservosandJR 2300man. 6v. battery and a Spektrum AR900. Servos are 80 oz. of torque 6v. Should I use a better servo for the rudder? Not sure what setupto use, pull-pull maybe ?Going to mount the elevator servos in the tail, the kit has instructions for the mod..
Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Gray Beard

As I mentioned, I never built there Sukhoi but it was sort of the sister ship to the Extra and I have built a lot of those. They come in at around 13 pounds and has a 68 inch wing. Your ASP/Magnum runs about the same as my OS 1.20s so I would go with that. I have used the OS 1.20 pumper in them and it was fine, not as fine as the YS but it worked very well.
If you do a search bipeguy did a build thread on the Sukhoi a year or two ago, a good thread with some great ideas. You can see what he ran for an engine, I can't remember. I still have a nice RCS 1.40 gasser I'm saving for my next CG Extra I build. My 2300 runs fine but I couldn't afford to feed it.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Just what I wanted to hear on the 4 stroke . Got a few pic's taken today and the wing parts traced,. First time doing this and widh I had done it on a few other discountined kits.
Happy Newyear to everyone, wish me luck, going to try and quit smoking.

Name:	Bz76925.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1540529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90077.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1540530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43539.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1540531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26806.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1540532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46252.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1540533  
Old 12-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Wow ! good thing I resized the pic''s.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

Wow ! good thing I resized the pic''s.
It's not you, it's these wonderful new servers we now have. If you post photos one to a post then everything is OK.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Got some work done today on the right wing. Everything going good till it came time to install the leading edge. Real hard to get it to follow the taper of the ribs, but got it by taking my time. The #2 rib broke right at the spar notches and ended up making a small gusset for it. The leading edge problem , is the reason I put it on the back burner when I finished the left wing 4 years ago. The leading edge match on both wings, but they look off to me, or is this just the taper I'm seeing ?

Name:	Zx71807.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1540961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13299.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1540962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43191.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1540963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21092.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1540964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92935.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1540965  
Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 AM
MinnFlyer

It looks off a little, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

BTW, I fixed the pics
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I run into some problems, from what I can figure out, I have the newer plans with the old instructions and parts from ? for wing joinersetc. Spent all weekend messing with it. It is now on the backburner again. Going to finishaGP 300s thatthe the mods are done on the tailfeathers.
Going to scratch builda gasserafter the 300s is done.Bought some really nice commercial grade wood tools this weekend, from a freindwho's Dad passed away. Way over due for building my first one from scratch, or a short kit.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Gray Beard

If a few odd parts are going to make you put away the Suk you may want to rethink scratch building. Plans always have parts that aren't drawn correctly or to size. No instructions at all or if they give you the building article it's almost useless. Finish the Suk!!! The plane is worth the effort!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I'll finish the Sukhio, but right now I have 3 days of quit smoking a 40 yr habit and don't have the right mind set for it. Need to find something else to do , like cow tipping or mud wrestling till the edge's smoothes a little. lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.