Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Choosing a first heli

Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 AM
iRabb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a first heli

OK, I got a Brookstone Silver Bullet to play with me kids and got bitten by the bug. I want a first heli that is not too expensive, that will be easy to fly simply at first, and will allow me to progress before I outgrow the thing completely.

My two thoughts are the Blade mCX and the Blade CX2

My three questions:

1. Is the mCX enough to learn on beyond the very basics?

2. Is the CX2 too much heli for a Silver Bullet convert?

3. Are there other, better choices that meet my needs that I should consider?

Thanks so much!

iRabb (Ben)
Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Choosing a first heli

take a look at the msr, it is a fp(fixed pitched) heli. and will not bore you as fast as the ones you mentioned. the ones you and i mentioned will teach you some basics, but will not teach you to fly a cp(collective pitch)heli. that is where the sim comes into play
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
desertblade400

I went ahead and got the Blade 400 for my first heli. It's been quit a learning experience.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM
hotsh0ts_05

I am actually in the exact same boat! I got bit by the bug when my younger brother got a brookstone heli for Christmas! Now I am looking for something a bit more serious but I would prefer sometime similar in size for now... something I can fly around the living room or garage at work instead of outside ( for now anyways)... Any suggestions on a first heli?? I was looking at Walkera's but where is the best place to buy??? I see TowerHobbies doesn't carry them and I used to buy EVERYTHING there back when I had a nitro RC car.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 AM
nothinbetr2do

horizon hobby carries the heli's we're talking about in this thread. here's a link http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...d=12D2805E98B2
Old 12-27-2010, 08:07 AM
hotsh0ts_05

Awesome! Thanks! I am thinking about the Blade 120... hmmm I'd be all over it if it came with the transmitter... My limit was going to be $150 but I might have to go over a bit haha
Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

don't buy blade, they are expensive for their performance, esky is cheap and effective
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM
hotsh0ts_05

Hmmmm I was about to order the Blade mSR tonight but do you have a link for something you would recommend over the blade?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
AKSUMMIT8

I recently purchased a Blade MSR, it's a good heli to dial in your skill level. Also have a Blade Sr, I've put some hours on the MSR though before I even attempted the Blade Sr. Recommend MSR-
Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM
hotsh0ts_05

Yeah I think i'm still going to order up the mSR... seems reasonable for what you get... RTF kit is 134.99 so I will go with that.. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

ESKY honey bee CP v2 has a good rating, but personally I would not go for tail motor helicopter.
I enjoyed esky honey bee king 2 with some upgrades for a time.
the only problems with honey bee king 2 is that the stock motor will without question burn and brushless upgrade will make the belt to slip then the tail boom to pull into the frame by tension of the belt.

Personally I would go with either walkera 4#3 or esky honey bee king 3 or belt-cp
All I had for some time. 4#3 is a big pain in the butt to repair though for its size
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Jay Dawgs

Hey all,

I am brand new to this hobby, and I am brand new to this forum...I have always been interested in rc helis, but after playing with the brookstone I need to get more involved.

I am trying to pick a first heli.  I want a 4 channel...I don't mind building it, but I want to stay in the $150 range.  I have a nitro truck, and had a plane in the past.  I have been looking at the exceedrc Falcon 40 V2.  Any thoughts? Recommendations?  I don't really know anything about rc helis, but I am not too fond of the plastic rotor head and swash plate...(i think that is the right terminology)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jason