Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Ok, here are the results of taking measurements of 799 at the Planes of Fame museum. Danny and I went there a couple of weekends ago and made measurements of a number of stations along the fuselage. The method we used was with a plumb bob. We held the plumb line against the fuselage and intersected the stations at their widest width on one side of the plane, and marked the point on the ground that was plumb. We repeated this on the other side of the fuselage and then measured between the two points, giving a measurement of the station. Some of the stations listed in the chart we could not measure because they were blocked by the wing or stab. I then took all the measurements and plotted them in a vector graphics program. I then created a smooth line that intersected as many of the pints as possible. Two points were off by 1/8" which I suspect are errors in the measurement as a result of wind or marking the spots on the ground. Also, you will see that the biggest error was with station 288. The tail gear doors prevented us from using the plumb bob directly at the station. I saw two ways to work around the door. One is to take a measurement just a little forward of 288 to clear the door. I did this at a previous visit. This day, we used a spacer to get beyond the door. We subtracted twice the value of the width of the spacer and wrote the result down. We did not write down the raw distance measured, and I can only surmise that we made an error in measuring the spacer (a roll of masking tape) or when we doubled that measurement. The measurement that I took on a previous visit matched very closely to the point on the smooth line. These results also match the values which I derived from the few drawings which have some dimensions which can be used for scaling the drawings. The second and third columns are measurements of the distance from the thrust line to the top and bottom of each station. These were derived from the scaled factory drawings. The smooth width values also match the scaled drawings very well.

Station______TL_-Top_____TL_-_Bottom___Measured_Width___Smooth_Width____Differe nce
16.6875______26.25_______-26.25________52.5_____________52.5____________0
40.094_______27.0625_____-27.0625______54.125___________54.125__________0
54.125_______27.5________-27.5_________53.625___________53.5____________0.12 5
91.75________30__________-6.5__________53.5_____________53.5____________0
103.625______30.75_______-26.5_________Not_Measured_____52.75___________n/a
120.5________31.75_______-26.5_________Not_Measured_____52.375__________n/a
134__________32.5________-26.375_______Not_Measured_____52______________n/a
138.6________19.5________-26.25________Not_Measured_____51.875__________n/a
186__________45 _________-24.5_________46.75____________46.75___________0
218__________42.125______-22___________41.625___________41.5____________0.12 5
232__________40__________-20.75________39_______________39______________0
253__________36.875______-18.25________34.75____________34.75___________0
288__________31.75_______-13___________27.8125__________27______________0.81 25
310.65625____28.25_______-9____________Not_Measured_____21.5625_________n/a
346.25_______22.75_______-1.75_________Not_Measured_____12.21875________n/a
371.5________18.875______4.25__________5.0625_____ ______5.0625__________0

Scott
Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
rwright142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, thanks Scott and Danny! I hope someone with a CAD program can make a nice drawing from all of this. Wish I knew someone like that hehehe
Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 AM
saramos

Sorry about the formatting of the chart. I'll post a cleaner one.

Scott
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 PM
saramos

Well, here's where I am. I know there's been a lot of discussion on how to proceed as a group. I've decided that I want to continue on with this project based on the data that Danny and I have gathered. I'll be going on with my own design, but I don't want anyone to feel that I am trying to change this project, so it might be best if I don't make regular posts on my project here. I may start a new thread. I do hope that everyone proceeds as they had planned. It would still be wonderful to see a group of 1/6th scale Corsairs to come out of this. I can always be reached by PM or email, and am glad to share what I can.

Currently, I am working on drawings of the planes side view, top view and contours. After that, I'll start on the model design. I may end up building plugs and molds. There's a lot of new stuff ahead for me, but I look forward to the challenges.

I want to thank everyone for their contributions and efforts. I really have enjoyed it.
Keep building, and good flying.

Scott Ramos

PS, if you are going to the AMA Convention in January, stop by the San Fernando Valley Flyers booth, and say Hi.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Remklep

ORIGINAL: saramos

Well, here's where I am. I know there's been a lot of discussion on how to proceed as a group. I've decided that I want to continue on with this project based on the data that Danny and I have gathered. I'll be going on with my own design, but I don't want anyone to feel that I am trying to change this project, so it might be best if I don't make regular posts on my project here. I may start a new thread. I do hope that everyone proceeds as they had planned. It would still be wonderful to see a group of 1/6th scale Corsairs to come out of this. I can always be reached by PM or email, and am glad to share what I can.

Currently, I am working on drawings of the planes side view, top view and contours. After that, I'll start on the model design. I may end up building plugs and molds. There's a lot of new stuff ahead for me, but I look forward to the challenges.

I want to thank everyone for their contributions and efforts. I really have enjoyed it.
Keep building, and good flying.

Scott Ramos

PS, if you are going to the AMA Convention in January, stop by the San Fernando Valley Flyers booth, and say Hi.
Guys,

I have been thinking about what to do for months and it's not an easy decision to take.
I joined this group to make a scale Corsair not an approximation of one, those can be had by buying a kit or plan available now.
So I am going the same way as Scott is.
The measuments we took are going to be the basis for a Corsair that will fit my Seidel 7-70.
I have already spoken to Chad about this and he graciously allowed me to use his construction techniques for my new plans, as I like the way he designed the fuselage a lot.

I will offcourse remain active here too, but as Sam will not clutter this thread with my own design.
And besides, now that I'm a daddy and will be again in may 2011, my building time will get less and less.

I will make available my tail-gear design to whomever wants to use the drawings.

It's a bit of a shame that I have already build and finished the vertical and horizontal stabilizers, elevators and rudder and have the fuselage all done up to the point where I need to fit the wing.
But it isn't a complete loss, I gained a lot of new building techniques and it's a cold winter here and we have a fire-place...

Danny
Old 12-16-2010, 12:14 PM
jerrymu1

Since I am not sure, I must ask what information the measurements that Scott and Danny made yielded; if I understand the explanation provided by Scott, the measurements yielded the width of the fuselage at specific stations along the length of the fuselage. I may be wrong, and if so, I apologize to everyone for my misunderstanding.

Now I am questioning the future of this build. Is Chad going to finish the design or not? If Chad doesn't will someone else do it? Or, is everyone just going go do their own thing? I completely understand Danny's concern about his engine not fitting inside the cowl and Scott's decision that the scale fidelity of the Matt drawing does not meet his needs.

Although I purchased a tail kit, I don't like to piece meal a build so I have not yet built it. I have instead attempted to design some of the detail parts such as the properller hub, blades, wheels, and landing gear. My designs can be scaled to any size, so I haven't lost anything. However, some have started building and it would be a shame to see their work tossed.

I would appreciate any thoughts from others who have been involved in this build.

Sincerely,
Jerry M.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Jerry,

Although I am unable to commit to a time line at the moment I do have every intention of returning to this project and completing the build.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:28 AM
viper16

Chad
Getting back to the scale design, has there been any decision as to which if any of the drawings done by either royal,matt, or taylor or ? As to which has the correct scale outline.

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 AM
SMUGator

I do keep an eye on this project, and I'll probably pick it up again in the Fall if the wooden boat doesn't surprise me in some way. I had the need today to sort through my substantial store of balsa and ply and I was reminded of how much I miss working on this. Chad, please send my Aune gear back. I'm happy to send them back to you when you get a chance to work on this again.

Tom
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 AM
SMUGator

It would also be nice to get the sail winch servo that I contributed to the cause back. We are doing a lot of boating and I have a model project in mind where that will come in handy. Chad, I sent it to you initially, so I trust that you can track it down and get it returned.

Tom
Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I've got other irons in the fire so I'll be unsubscribing from this thread. Good luck to you all in your endeavors! Happy New Year to All.
Sam
Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

I do keep an eye on this project, and I'll probably pick it up again in the Fall if the wooden boat doesn't surprise me in some way. I had the need today to sort through my substantial store of balsa and ply and I was reminded of how much I miss working on this. Chad, please send my Aune gear back. I'm happy to send them back to you when you get a chance to work on this again.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've moved twice since you sent me the stuff so give me a few days to dig it out of deep storage and I will get it headed back your way.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
saramos

Happy New Year all!

Scott
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM
SMUGator

Thanks, Chad. I'm happy to share the gear again when the project gets unstalled.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
corsairfas217

So what is the chance any of you might have scale drawings of the cockpit placards that I could scale up?

I didn't know if the word was out there but Lex Sold his Brewster built Corsair
As always, If you need pics or details of our bird Ill do what I can to help any and all of you out.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Chad Veich

Fellow Corsair builders,

If the person to whom I forwarded the sail winch servo and other parts for a sliding canopy mechanism is reading this (I've forgotten who you are) will you please contact me via PM or email?

Thanks!
Chad
[email protected]
Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 AM
mrrandyman
My Feedback: (3)

Sure is a shame that this project has come to a halt.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 AM
jerrymu1

It is a shame, but in my case a welcome respite. I was drawn to this build because of the stated objective: "- to build the finest, most detailed, and as historically accurate a Corsair they can."

Since the entire airframe wasn't available at the time I signed on, I decided to start designing some of the ancilary pieces: prop hub, propeller blades, landing gear, wheels, dummy engines, and so on.

Then Danny Busch said in order to conceal his new Siedel engine he needed to build a different scale; well back to the drawing board. I have managed to come up with designs that allow me to produce all items in any scale without major new investments required.

My own personal goal, as I stated in one of my first posts, is to build most of the major Corsair variants: XF4U, F4U-1, -1A, F2G-1, XF2G, Planes of Fame Super Corsair, and a couple more.

My approach has been slightly different in that I am developing plans from 3D scans of a Tamiya F4U-1 1/48 scale plastic model.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but it isn't; I have enjoyed the interplay between the members and how they continually look for more details about what I consider the finest World War II fighter aircraft.

Jerry M.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
SMUGator

I'll still do this project. I'm not sure if it will be this winter or next, but the stack of balsa is still on the shelf, and the drawings are still on the wall.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
rwright142

Me too. Just been real busy and haven't touched my plane (except for stroking and drooling over it but that's another story) in a very long time.
Also, I loaned my canopy to someone a long time ago and would like it returned please.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
saramos

I'm still working on drawings. I plan to go back to Planes of Fame to see if I can test more templates against their plane. For those that had not heard, I currently have access to a wide format printer (24"). This has allowed me to print the drawings of the contours of the fuselage that I've been developing, in full size. I took 4 drawings, of stations 218, 232, 253 and 288, and compare them to the fuselage of the Corsair at Yanks Museum. (PoF Corsair was away for an airshow when I went). Three of the four templates fit very well, and the 4th template showed my drawing to be a little too flat through about a 15" section by about 1/8". I hope to check more bulkheads, but will need to do it against the PoF Corsair as the Yanks Corsair is a -4, and there are differences from the cockpit forward. I also want to test templates of the stab foils too. I also want to investigate the canopy rails a bit more. When the canopy is closed, the back of the canopy sits almost flush with the fuselage, but when open, there is a significant gap between the canopy and fuselage. I want to see if the rear rail wheels telescope (which I doubt) or if the depth of the rail track changes (which I suspect).
This will further refine the shape of the fuselage. Photos of the front rails show that they are parallel, but the fuselage is wider at the front of the rail than at the back. A small detail, but worth noting for scale fidelity.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw66821.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1580153   Click image for larger version

Name:	up47270.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1580154  
Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: saramos
I also want to investigate the canopy rails a bit more. When the canopy is closed, the back of the canopy sits almost flush with the fuselage, but when open, there is a significant gap between the canopy and fuselage.
See link Scott, should answer this question for you.

http://www.bentwings.com/fg1d3/fg355.htm
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
saramos

Yea, I've looked at that photo long and hard. To me, it looks like the rail gets deeper as you move forward, but I find it ambiguous enough to want to check in person.

Thanks Chad,

Scott
Old 03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
rwright142

Check out my FG-1D graveyard pics, they may help too.
Here's the link: http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...r%20Graveyard/

Here's a few of the canopy rails:

Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 PM
saramos

Great photos, but so hard to tell. It could be just the final drop that makes the difference. Here's the photos that got me wondering. Now, looking at the second photo, it really doesn't look like the wheels telescope.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx70789.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1580186   Click image for larger version

Name:	pk30387.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	547.1 KB
ID:	1580187   Click image for larger version

Name:	un33750.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	1580188   Click image for larger version

Name:	ig11235.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	551.9 KB
ID:	1580189  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.